Smarty DNS

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Smarty DNS

Postby El Cid » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:46 pm

I can’t get it on anything now. Hopefully they will sort it soon, they usually do but if you are desperate, sign up for a free trial on Unblockus.com. That worked OK last time there was a Smarty problem.

I think it’s time I set up my router with the SmartyDNS VPN which is included in the DNS subscription.

Sid

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:58 pm

The SmartyVPN can also be temperamental and has twice today disconnected itself from the London servers once for an hour and just now for 30 minutes

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:53 am

What happens when it does that? Does it just revert to your usual IP address or do you lose your Internet connection. If you turn off the VPN do the usual Smarty DNS settings then kick in?

I tried Unblock-US this morning. It works in Chrome on my iMac, but all the other devices are still blocked.

Sid

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:37 am

No I didn't lose internet it simply lost connection to the Smarty London servers and hence the ability to watch iplayer etc. It reverted to my usual IP. The Manassas, Montreal, Gdansk servers were fine but obviously not for Nowtv Firestick etc. Probably the London server gets overloaded when they have these DNS issues. Yes if I turn off the VPN it simply reverts to the usual set up and uses the DNS within my router

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:56 am

Thanks for that. I will have a try with Smarty VPN.

This BBC situation is becoming a real PITA. I would be happy to pay the licence for to be able to get the service.

Hopefully they will finally lock it to use only by licence holders using a password. That would probable mean that they would have to allow multiple devices on each account which means we could probably use a family/friends account like we currently do with SkyGo.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:37 pm

My solution is set up a back up acount with Smart DNS with one of their year discounts when they offer you one. I paid around 15 pounds for the year.I just set it up on the TV when needed. Their servers aren’t good enough to watch SKyGo and of course the perpetual problems with Smarty means no one way is perfect.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:28 pm

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I've been in the UK since last July however, we may be coming back to Spain on a part time basis soon.

I used smartydns until we left Spain, can anyone update me on the situation with them now, do any of the other smart servers still work with iPlayer?

Thanks in advance

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:53 pm

BBC iPlayer has blocked Smartydns, been like it for over a week now.
But you can use their VPN to access BBC iPlayer.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:42 pm

You can use as Gerry says Smarty's VPN but obviously not on the NOWTV Box, also the VPN service does slow down your speeds massively so if your not on a decent speed using the VPN can be a bit hit n miss also in my experience sometimes the VPN would disconnect and sometimes if the U.K servers were busy wouldn't connect at all....so not ideal. At present I am using https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/ which gives a much wider choice of DNS server locations to choose from and am pleased to say that 10 days into the 14 day free trial I'm going to be signing up to their service, initially on their 3 month plan just to see how reliable it is ( approx €10 for the 3 months) and whether it suffers any blacklisting from the likes of IPlayer (particularly harder for the beeb and the like to do with such a much wider range and location of DNS servers to choose from) I personally have mine input directly into my Movistar Fibre Optic router. Everything worked as advertised also the couple of queries I had were answered by their Tech dept within half an hour. So far very impressed. Only thing that's not unblocked on the free trial is Netflix U.S but they do point this out on their website.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:51 pm

Looks interesting. They don’t seem to use UK DNS servers, probably a good thing, so which ones do you use?

Sid

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:57 pm

Hi Sid

They do actually have a U.K DNS Server https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/Servers ...... but its not on the list that goes with the General Router config http://support.smartdnsproxy.com/custom ... -dns-proxy
I have mine set to Spain and Switzerland

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:19 pm

Thanks for that. I will give it a try.

Sid

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:01 pm

Been using smartdnsproxy for 18 months or so. Has proved to be very reliable and I have had no issues with BBC or any other UK services, even tvplayer is working a treat. On the odd occasion that I have contacted support their have been very responsive. Would recommend them without hesitation.
Regards

Bob

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:28 am

If I change to samartdnsproxy do I just change it in the router or do I have to do something to all the TVs?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:20 am

El Cid wrote:Thanks for that. I will give it a try.

Sid
Now using Smart DNS proxy with the Spanish server and BBC and ITV work fine.

Sid

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:31 am

Unicorn wrote:If I change to samartdnsproxy do I just change it in the router or do I have to do something to all the TVs?
That depends how you have stuff configured for your current service.

If you only have DNS configured on your router, then simply change its settingsbto smartdnsproxy's DNS servers. If you have devices such as TVs individually/manually configured then they will each need to be changed.
Regards

Bob

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:46 pm

Thanks all for the heads up.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:16 pm

I am just trying out the SmartDNSproxy on trial as recommended earlier and it seems to work Ok as I can now get the BBCiPlayer to work on my TV and computer.

However, I have just tried to watch something on my Smart TV on the Ch4 catchup app and it says it won't work in my location. The Channel4od site works fine on my laptop so I cannot work out what is wrong as Ch4 seems to be working OK elsewhere. ITV and CH5 also function OK on the TV as well as BBC, so it all seems a bit strange to me.

Edit .... just tried it again and it's working OK now :?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:44 pm

I use SmartDNS as a back up for Smarty. I doubt that this will affect anyone else but just in case, it is not great with SkyGo on the PS4

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Fri May 25, 2018 9:20 am

Help needed.

I have loaded Smartydns App on my iPad. Have entered UserName and Password and signed in. I can get a connection with say Germany, France, Singapore etc etc but can not get connected with London. I have been in contact with their Help set-up but to be honest they are not much use and asssume that I am a computer expert, which I clearly am not.

As suggested by someone on here, I changed my UserName and Password and tried again - still no joy.

Any suggestions please?