Smarty DNS

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
linda w
Tourist

Smarty DNS

Postby linda w » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:16 pm

Hi I'm still on a mission ! I've emailed Smarty DNS and they said it may not be possible to do this on a router provided by a supplier ( in this case Jet Net) , has anyone done this on a router supplied by Jet Net or is it possible to buy another router that will enable this many thanks again

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Smarty DNS

Postby Enrique » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:11 pm

Hi linda w,
"We have a reasonably good internet speed so hopefully it will work !"
You haven't give much info away in any of your Posts............for anyone to give specific info.

So how is your Internet connected to the House and then to the PC/Laptop.......looking at Jet Net site it could be Wimax , so do you have an box on your roof and it connects to an Antenna with line of sight wirelessly . Once in the house is it connected directly to the PC/Laptop ..or go into a wireless router , if so what is the Make and Model of this router (info usually on the Base).

Please Post the info so we can hopefully move this project on for you........... :idea:

Feel free to PM me the above info.......this keeps Sid (El Cid el moderador) happy unless it's of interest to the wider Membership.............. :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:15 pm

Some people need a second router because the one supplied by your ISP might not allow you to change the settings.
This doesn’t have to be expensive because you could connect the second router by ethernet to the Now TV box and continue to use your main router for WIFI
Something like these would do the job
https://www.amazon.es/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... fi+tp+link

linda w
Tourist

Postby linda w » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:05 pm

There is a small dish on the roof with wires coming into the living room into a little box attached to the wall and the wifi box is connected to this ( I did say I'm not very technical )we will be in Spain in 2 weeks so I can look at it more closely regarding names , I think I'll buy another wifi box to take over in preparation , thank you for persevering with me !!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:18 pm

Hi,
Would probably best to check out your current kit before buying any new Router as it may not be needed and Routers are easily obtainable in Andalucia if it is.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:22 pm

I seem to remember that other members have your set up and had to go down the second router route.
My lastest router supplied by my ISP is the first one that has allowed me to change the settings so I’ve always had a second router.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:22 pm

Linda may I suggest that you set up your NowTV box in the UK before going back to Spain it will probably want to update itself etc before it works. Gives you a chance to familiarise yourself with it before you go to Spain and set up your router.

linda w
Tourist

Postby linda w » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:01 pm

Thank you once again for all your helpful replies !