3g boosters

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

3g boosters

Postby bbobandannie » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:34 pm

We currently use a movistar 3g router on an unlimited download contract for all our iptv and internet needs. Not the cheapest but all that's available at decent speed in Ardales. However, we plan to move along the valley to Carratraca and the movistar signal, whilst good in the valley, is a lot weaker where our new house is sited. We only get about 3Meg, not great for tv. We are in a slight dip behind a hill, thus no direct line of site for the nearest mast.
I have seen signal booster packages available which use an external Omni directional aerial, boasting impressive increases in speed. As they are an expensive option, i was wondering whether anyone had any experience of using them or whether any techie guru can advise as to their effectiveness.
Thanks

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: 3g boosters

Postby olive » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:21 pm

I haven't seen anything along those lines but would be interested especially if it doesn't need a mains power supply.

What is your experience of this 3G service at peak times? We had both Orange and then Movistar and found the signal/speed dropped to zero at all the peak hours of the day ( to from school, to from work and often on the hour- presumably as Tv programmes finished). Presumably a booster wouldn't counter that.

This is the movistar package we are looking at.
servicio de Radio 3G/4G + fijo + 2 líneas móviles.
El servicio de fijo le incluye un servicio Radio 4G hasta 20 mb/3G hasta 10 mb con telefonía fija, con tarifa plana de fijo a fijo. Navegación Ilimitada
Por lo cual el pack Duo le saldría por 52.4€ Iva incluido y con 12 meses de compromiso de permanencia.

bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: 3g boosters

Postby bbobandannie » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:05 pm

Olive
We use a movistar 3g router , provided by a company called Eurona, it is generally okay but does drop off now and then. We are in direct line of site of the mast and usually get between 5-13meg indicated in a speed check, though it may be capped at 10. its fine for phone calls, internet and IPTV but if the village gets full with tourists you notice a drop. A very similar package to the one you mention. in truth 3g is old technology and can struggle if too many users. Unfortunately we still cant get 4g and even if we could i doubt anyone would sell an unlimited SIM card. Its not perfect but definitely better than we expected when we moved from Madrid to the Campo. As mentioned earlier though, 3Km down the road, outside direct line of site of the mast and the best my speed test shows is around 3meg, not enough for our needs I fear.