Former Iberbanda Customers

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
telboy
Resident

Former Iberbanda Customers

Postby telboy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:46 pm

We as Iberbanda users didn't panic when we got notice of Iberbanda folding in. In view of this we never lost our internet/landline connection as threatened at the time, but just got a letter stating that the company had been bought out (absorbed) by Telefonica Movistar.

Nothing has changed for us, the connection is the same 3mbps upload/download plus landline, 300mins free pm with mobiles to Spanish mobiles, all at 48€ pm. Our postal bill is from Telefonica/Movistar. However we have two mobile phones (with no contract) which we have to top-up every 6 months as these are on PAYG.

I cannot find any information online, all the sites relating to Iberbanda seem to be dated, but I do find snippets stating that WiMax was terminated, surely not :eh:

We would really like to pay a lot less than this 48€ pm, but choice is limited as we are in the campo.

Can any former Iberbanda customers let me know what they did on the take-over, any other advice would be useful regarding PAYG mobiles too.

cheers :thumbup:
terry

irismary
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Former Iberbanda Customers

Postby irismary » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:41 am

We too are old customers of Iberbanda, and have had the same experience as you. When we got the letter from Movistar they also advised us of alternatives from them i.e. adsl or 3/4g depending on area. I decided to try the 3g service as I didn´t want to rely on old landlines miles from the exchange. They insisted we could have adsl. However, having heard nothing, I phoned and they told me that there were no phone lines free in our small village for adsl and as we are still perfectly happy with the Wimax from Iberbanda, we have continued to use that. When/if they terminate the service, I will try to go 3g with them. They have told me that there are no plans at the moment to discontinue the service in our area. I did a lot of research when the whole thing came up, but there were few good, or cheaper, alternatives. Like you, we use PAYG mobiles from Movistar.

bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bbobandannie » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:24 am

irismary,

we are about to make the opposite change from you. We are currently on Movistar 3g and it works well but the village we are moving to has a very poor 3g signal. However, our neighbours seem to have a Wimax antenna. How have you found this solution, what kind of speed do you get?

irismary
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby irismary » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:41 pm

We have always been pleased with Iberbanda Wimax. It is the perfct alternative in our village. The speed isn´t great - up to 3mbs download, but quite sufficient to watch UK TV on our Magbox except sometimes at weekends when it stutters a bit. Long may it last! the only disadvantage is that when we have power cuts, (frequent when it rains in our village) we have no phone or internet for about 20 minutes after the power is restored. Can live with that! And, one of our Spanish neighbours, who has Iberbanda in his bar, but Movistar ADSL in his house, says that the Wimax is much better and faster! As yet, nobody in our neck of the woods is using the Movistar 3g. As we are on the border, only 200 metres from Portugal, a lot of people use Portuguese internet, but our house has 3ft thick walls and without a repeater on the roof, I can´t get it. Also, you need an address, bank account and fiscal number in Portugal unless you are payg. Not difficult, but a bit of a pain. We used to do it with a dongle, but couldn´t use for TV as not enough download.

bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bbobandannie » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:10 am

Iris Mary,
Thanks, sounds like we won’t be as isolated as I thought. Chatted to neighbors and they confirmed they have WiMAX and it performs more or less as you described.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:11 pm

Just an update

We continued using Iberbanda up until today despite the fact that they were closing all their transmitters by Summer 2017. We did get a letter from Movistar stating that they had bought out Iberbanda but are still providing the same service at the same spec and rates in December 2017. We are now using Movistar Fusion, we have kept our existing landline and number aw well as our cellphone numbers - 'swap portability' as they called it. Even though Iberbanda still exists in name I telephoned them to cancel my contract. I have been told that a technico will call in within the next 3 weeks to pick up the kit, If they do not get ALL the kit back they will charge 300€.

Have any former Iberbanda customers had any problems with the contract termination and return of kit? I assume they'll take away all the kit including the exterior dish and fixings etc. I'll not take any chances and photograph the kit before the technico takes it away.

terry

irismary
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby irismary » Tue May 15, 2018 2:44 pm

Just an update: finally got the call to say that our base staion for Iberbanda is going to switched off during the next month. Decided to bite the bullet immediately and called Movistar on 1004. I insisted that I preferred go with Movistar Internet Radio, their 3g/4g system. Called last Friday,they cancelled our Iberbanda contract and the tecnico came on Monday, took away all the iberbanda stuff and in less than half an hour we were up and running. No charge for installation or router and as a former Iberbanda customer, we have internet plus landline ( with our old number)for the next 12 months for a tad over 32 Euros a month. They advertise up to 20mb (with 4g?), but we seem to hover around 4-6 peak times, better than our old up to 3mb. They suspected they would need to put an aerial on the roof (hugely thick walls...)but we have perfect signal without. So, one happy customer. So, I would recommend the Internet Radio banda Ancha for former customers.

irismary
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby irismary » Tue May 15, 2018 2:57 pm

PS Some friends of ours, fairly isolated in the campo have also changed, and are also delighted.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue May 15, 2018 10:25 pm

irismary - sounds good. Is that unlimited Internet? Also does it slow down during school arrival, leaving, breaks and 4 work rush hours?

We had 3G from Orange and Movistar some years back. they were both diabolical during peak times slowing to virtually nothing.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Wed May 16, 2018 12:42 pm

We are delighted with what we have to a point - ie 20mb download, which up to now works much better than 3mb during peak times for TV viewing at peak times. However from Movistar we have a pathetic upload of upto 800kb this we found to be a bit of a downer since Skyping or Facetiming resulting in our recipient getting constant broken visual and sound a bit like listening to Norman Colliers (comedian) broken microphone routine - we had 3mb upload with Iberbanda so there was never a problem FaceTiming etc.

Checking the Movistar website, there is no information about whether it is possible to increase the upload capacity. We had contacted them just recently about activating 'caller ID' on our new landline phone at 2€ a month. We had a Telefonica Modo Phone previously and arranged caller ID with Iberbanda in the past. This is very useful as we have been bombarded with spam calls on our landline daily in the past.

As I said we've contacted Iberbanda to cancel our contract but have not had a call from them about picking up the kit yet.

terry

irismary
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby irismary » Wed May 16, 2018 2:25 pm

Yes, it´s unlimited. Doesn´t seem to slow noticably at peak times - but this is a small isolated village with most using adsl. Early days, but so far, so good. As for upload, that is slower, but we don´t use Skype or facetime, so no problem to us. I will keep you posted after we have been on it a bit longer.

irismary
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby irismary » Wed May 30, 2018 1:57 pm

Update: We have now had an antenna installed on the roof by Movistar to try and improve our speeds. I am delighted to say that we now have up to 10mB - a great improvemnet over Iberbanda. One happy customer.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:03 pm

Update - Very happy with our Movistar service, Skyping is not a problem with our 800kb upload limit but is a problem with FaceTime that requires around 1.5mb. because it is in HD. Our download limit is wonderful, we can now watch programmes in HD with minimal disruption during peak times. Even better our radio router has a SIM card, we can take it with us wherever we go within rage of a radio mast and without it being visible too.

Iberbanda took away the old kit and said it will just be recycled.

terry

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:04 pm

Update - Very happy with our Movistar service, Skyping is not a problem with our 800kb upload limit but is a problem with FaceTime that requires around 1.5mb. because it is in HD. Our download limit is wonderful, we can now watch programmes in HD with minimal disruption during peak times. Even better our radio router has a SIM card, we can take it with us wherever we go within rage of a radio mast and without it being visible too.

Iberbanda took away the old kit and said it will just be recycled.

terry

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:19 pm

telboy and irismary.

Both positive updates. some questions

1. Did you have to ask them for the aerial on your roof to improve the signal or did they volunteer it? When you say roof is that on a chimney stack or side wall of the house? Is the aerial very big?

2. This is probably the dumbest question ever asked but I have only ever watched one programme at a time and then maybe three times a year via the Internet due to download limits. So the question is can you "put it on BBC1" and stream a whole afternoons programmes in real time or nearly real time without user input once it is going?

I can see the portability being very useful as we have a MiFi with a 3 SIM that we find very useful. I wonder if they would object if you took it out of the country periodically.......

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:46 pm

BBC iPlayer and ITV Hub do allow you to stream live TV, so yes, you can just leave it on the live TV feed.

Sid

irismary
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby irismary » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:21 pm

Olive. Yes, I did have to ask them to put an antenna on the roof. I told the tecnico when he installed the router that I thought we needed one as the Movistar 3g signal in our house for our mobile phones hardly ever works and they default to Portugal (200 metres away). We have exceptionally thick walls and are surrounded by buildings higher than ours in line of the masts on a hill behind the village. After a couple of weeks, albeit with better speeds than we ever had from Iberbanda, at times we lost signal and I asked them to put an antenna up and lo and behold, we now get much more speed. It is installed exactly where we had the Iberbanda antenna on a pole up on a roof terrace. It is smaller than the Iberbanda one, but also square. No problem to fix to a wall or chimney. But the cable run mustn´t be more than 10m.

We stream live TV through a Magbox with a contract for hundreds of channels, (My husband likes sport on Sky....) and as all the programmes are recorded and availible for 2 weeks, we have no problem. With Iberbanda, at times it was difficult to watch either live stream or recordings at times, especially if one of us was also online on a computer or ipad, but now it is totally reliable. We also have Intelsat (and an old Android box, so belt, braces and bailer twine....).
You could stream live TV using TV Catchup, all day, every day with computer or ipad.
As I said, one happy customer!

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:38 pm

Olive - Sorry only just read your last post.

No need for an aerial where we are, we are in a valley at 760m with views across to the nearest small village of Zagra. When we were with Iberbanda we had a small dish (WIMAX System) which needed to be in direct view of the mast which was on the hillside at Zagra. Not totally sure what determines the quality of connection with our new system but where we live but we get 4G, 20mb download 0.8mb upload, however when we took our system to a friends house at 960m with 300°views from Montefrio to Antequera yet we could not get better than 10mb download with 0.8upload. Not sure whether an aerial would have made any difference, I am sure it works using radio waves. Perhaps one of our more savvy members can fill us in on the technical workings.

Terry