Sky tv in Spain

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
mac69
Andalucia.com Amigo

Sky tv in Spain

Postby mac69 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:33 am

As from this month Sky have started letting you stream skytv abroad , but only for short spells , you still have to watch it back in the uk on a regular basis .

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/strea ... 3fcc930665

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Sky tv in Spain

Postby markwilding » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:24 am

More Info here on other providers.
https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/03/ne ... me-abroad/
Eventually, It might extend to all content but not yet.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:37 pm

We had the email yesterday, tried it and it works fine.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:49 pm

So to be able to continue one would assume you'll be able to provide continuity by having a friend or family member use the service on a device in the UK as required?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:02 pm

So basically is what we can get anyway but without the need for a VPN/DNS.

Sid

mac69
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mac69 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:27 pm

After reading Marks link , you can now get Netflix but only up to next year , I wonder if sky will also put the block on come Brexit ?

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:36 pm

Can’t you just subscribe to Netflix in Spain? Or does that mean you only get Spanish content?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:03 pm

mac69 wrote:After reading Marks link , you can now get Netflix but only up to next year , I wonder if sky will also put the block on come Brexit ?
Just enjoy it for the time being. Worry about it later if it gets blocked. Over the years TV has changed drastically in Spain but we always find a away to watch it.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:12 pm

This actually makes little difference to us in Spain
This will only benefit subscribers to Sky, Netflix etc. in the UK as we still need a smart DNS if we want to watch stuff like the IPlayer.
Subscribers in the UK will lose the benefit once the UK exits the EU.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:30 am

markwilding wrote: Subscribers in the UK will lose the benefit once the UK exits the EU.
Doom and gloom.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:34 am

markwilding wrote:This actually makes little difference to us in Spain
This will only benefit subscribers to Sky, Netflix etc. in the UK as we still need a smart DNS if we want to watch stuff like the IPlayer.
Subscribers in the UK will lose the benefit once the UK exits the EU.
Probably lose it next year as It isn't available in Switzerland.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:24 am

costakid wrote:
markwilding wrote: Subscribers in the UK will lose the benefit once the UK exits the EU.
Doom and gloom.
If you read my post correctly, you will see that from the perspective of people living in Spain,this ruling doesn't make much difference.
It will affect UK residents much more.
The Brexiteers, who will lose this benfit and with the possiblity of losing roaming. will have to live with the fact that leaving the EU is not all mlk and honey.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:43 am

It won't affect many UK residents, only those with second homes who spend some months in EU. I am sure those on 2 week holidays can live without SKY for the duration ha ha.
I am thinking of cancelling SKY, we don't watch it except OH who watches golf and F1 anyone know a cheaper alternative to Sky sport?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:04 pm

ashtondav wrote:Can’t you just subscribe to Netflix in Spain? Or does that mean you only get Spanish content?
Yes, you can and no it doesn't.

I subscribe to Spanish Netflix. I choose my language in settings and everything is in English except for a handful of Spanish series which have never been dubbed into English. There are many BBC and ITV series available a few weeks after transmission on UK television and very good Netflix own programming which has never been available in the UK.

My main source of news, apart from Telediario, is now RT which is still available on Astra and the dreadful British 'soaps' and the omnipresent sport have never held any interest for me so my Intelsat 907 setup is now virtually redundant and no need for the DNS/VPN headache.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:31 pm

The BBC has some great programming though and I don't watch the Soaps or programmes such as Strictly come dancing . On last night was Dave Allen night, In my opinion the best comedian ever.
I have to agree that Netflix for the money has plenty of decent content. There are a couple of dramas i watched on the BBC only recently, which are on offer in 4K.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:36 pm

katy wrote:It won't affect many UK residents, only those with second homes who spend some months in EU. I am sure those on 2 week holidays can live without SKY for the duration ha ha.
I am thinking of cancelling SKY, we don't watch it except OH who watches golf and F1 anyone know a cheaper alternative to Sky sport?
And of course don't forger the millions who holiday and go on business abroad, who this is really aimed at.

You could end the Sky contract and with NOW TV only pay for the days you want to watch it, about £7.99 for 24 hours, and don't forget some races are on channel 4
Last edited by markwilding on Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:10 pm

I can't remember the last time I paid the full monthly price for Sky Sports on NowTV (£34?): whenever my current offer runs out, I cancel it, and then almost always manage to get the same offer again, which at the moment is 2 months @ £20 per month. For the entertainment package, you can buy vouchers on Amazon (UK) usually which work out cheaper than buying direct from NowTV.

Just received the "roaming" e-mail:
• You can roam with NOW TV for up to 30 days.
• To reset your roaming allowance, just watch from the UK.
• Travelling around? No problem - you’re free to enjoy NOW TV throughout the EU.
• You’ll need to buy any new Passes before you leave the UK to watch them while you travel.

So after 30 days, you'll need someone in the UK to sign in to your account and start watching something, and presumably then you can go for another 30 days - no more SmartDNS or VPN!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:28 pm

Good news for you peeps in Spain!
I assume that the iPlayer app will still be blocked without DNS/VPN though? :problem: