Chromecast and iplayer?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
allgram
Resident

Chromecast and iplayer?

Postby allgram » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:02 am

Hello, iplayer for some reason has stopped working on Chromecast over the past few days,we can still watch iplayer on a tablet but it won't cast to the TV although ITV,Ch4,Ch5 are all fine with casting. Has anyone else noticed a difference?
Thank you
allgram.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Chromecast and iplayer?

Postby markwilding » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:17 am

A little more information is needed. Are you in Spain? Are you using SmartyDNS?
If So, their servers are being blocked by the BBC. One solution for live BBCTV on the big TV might be using TV player app but no catchup possible another is using one of the free offers from orne of the the other Smart DNS companies until SmartyDNS gets the BBC back.

There is another recent thread where this is discussed

http://andalucia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=38184

allgram
Resident

Postby allgram » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:38 am

Yes I live in Spain and use Hola for the Iplayer and as said there have been no problems until four days ago.
Thank you
allgram.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:43 pm

I’m not too familiar with Hola and it’s own website says it doesn’t support Chrome but you could try another free VPN because the BBC do try to block certain VPNs
BA vpn is one I am using at the moment on my IPad. You will need to register but don’t worry because they just want to send information about their products, which is basically supplying Sky TV. I don’t mind receiving the occasional email from them but just list them as spam if you don’t want to.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:45 pm

Which VPN can you use for an ordinary computer, if there is one. I seem to have lost the one I had!
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AkoAko » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:46 am

markwilding wrote:I’m not too familiar with Hola and it’s own website says it doesn’t support Chrome
Think its more correct to say Chrome doesn't support Hola it used to but they stopped due to security issues with Hola .

allgram
Resident

Postby allgram » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:07 am

Hi AkoAko, I didn't realise that thank you, the strange thing is that I can watch iplayer on a tablet but just won't cast, anyway, could you suggest an alternative to Hola? I would be very grateful.
Thank you
allgram.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:44 am

Have you tried the VPN I suggested in my earlier post? I've just given it a try and it's working fine, I'm watching the Commonwealth Games live on BBC 1, on an older Chromecast from my tablet.

It's actually irrelevant if Chromecast is supported by Hola or Hola supports Chromecast because in you first post, you say that all other channels are working fine. The reason why it works on one gadget and not on another goes beyond our knowledge of these things. The only solution when it occurs is to try a diffrerent VPN or DNS server.

Evelyn
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Evelyn » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:09 am

Allgram have pm’d you.