ANDROID BOXES

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: ANDROID BOXES

Postby markwilding » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:39 pm

I would doubt that it's possible to download subtitles to live programming in Kodi.
I've just had a quick check in Kodi and the Amazon TV and various other devices and there were no subtitles on any live TV.
It might be that afternoon programming on the BBC doesn't have it anyway. It was available in the catch up programme I opened though.
ITV had none
I looked at the TV Player, another Filmon type service, both in KODI and directly in the Fire TV and there were none.
I have the TVCatchUp APP ON KODI as well, which is also similar to Filmon and there were none.

What Kodi does offer is the possibility to stream TV programmes and Movies from third party sites with subtitles, not strictly legal but most of do it anyway.
On thing I would say to Evelyn though, I think Filmon is a total rip off. These days it's not necessary to record TV as most of it is available to stream anyway. Paying for a Smart DNS service and say Netflix or TV player is much cheaper and with much more content available. Today I discovered Planet earth 2 available on Netflix in glorious 4K, Ultra High Definition, absolutely incredible and the way it should be watched The only way you could change my mind is if you were getting it totally free.

Having only a DNS would still give you TVCatchUp and TV Player for live TV on Kodi and all the UK catchup services with live BBC and ITV
Last edited by markwilding on Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:49 pm

So if I get a Kodi I would be able to watch programs which had been recorded and it would have subtitles on it!

You will have to forgive me all this technical stuff is over the top of my head!

Netflex is very good so I believe!

What is DNS. I do not know what you mean by that!
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:03 pm

patricia wrote:So if I get a Kodi I would be able to watch programs which had been recorded and it would have subtitles on it!
Yes but you would also need to download another app which would give you access to them all. The problem I have with going into more detail is I'm not sure how it stands with forum rules.
patricia wrote: Netflex is very good so I believe!
Netflix might be the answer to your problem but your viewing habits would need to change a little because everything is on demand. If you have a newer TV, you might already have it but for only Netflix, a Spanish version Fire TV would do. Beachcomber commented on this just the other day. If you don't like Sport, there's more than enough to keep you entertained and very likely with subtitles in more than one language and no need for a smart DNS.
patricia wrote: What is DNS. I do not know what you mean by that!
This is something that members and other Ex-pats all over the world use to make our TV etc think it's in the UK thus we are able to watch online content which is restricted outside the UK.
Last edited by markwilding on Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:08 pm

The thing is I do like my BBC. I am not that keen on films except documentaries! :problem:

However I have to have subtitles as I miss a lot and cannot follow, well the plot! :P

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:09 pm

Where do I get a DNS then!! I need one of those. :think:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:19 pm

There are plenty of companies that offer them and they are not free. most cost a little less than 4 euros a month.
But first you still need to decide which box you are going for.
Now TV ...very cheap easy to set up, no frills or Netflix
Fire TV ...KODI and UK apps but needs a UK Amazon account to set up UK apps.
Android....Very flexible but fiddly remote and you might need to buy it with UK apps already loaded plus updating the Apps sometimes isn't easy.

To be quite honest, If you have an Android phone, you could buy a cable and connect it to you TV with similar results to a box.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:25 pm

I have a kindle account with Amazon UK! Is that any good! When you say TV! what do you mean by that and where would I get one. I have satellite but no subtitles. Sorry for all these questions.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:35 pm

I have a friend who is partially deaf but, rather than rely on subtitles, he has connected a pair of wireless headphones to his TV and listens through those. He can hear every word and does not bother those around him by having to have the volume too high.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:47 pm

patricia wrote:I have a kindle account with Amazon UK! Is that any good! When you say TV! what do you mean by that and where would I get one. I have satellite but no subtitles. Sorry for all these questions.
Yep, You already have an account so no problem there.
To buy one you will need a third party seller who will deliver to Spain or do as I have, when or if you go back to the UK, pick one up at the airport on your return. As well as that You could always have one sent to a family member and ask them to forward it to you as well.

I use Headphones from time to time because I like listening to the TV with the volume up so as not to annoy the rest of the household.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:40 pm

I have a couple of friends with hearing problems who find that the headphone option solves the problem.

For Patricia to go down the Android box/Kodi/ Firestick/ VPN/DNS is a sledghammer to crack a nut situation and probably doomed to failure for a self confessed novice - no disrespect Patricia - its just that I have seen this result in complete failure and considerable frustration in a couple of similar cases.

I would definitely stick with the satellite solution which gives the best picture quality and add some decent wireless headphones - they don't cost that much. No doubt other members will give you some recommendations and most are available from Amazon and easy to install, but first please check that your TV has a headphone socket on the back - some, notably LG, do not. If it doesnt have one, that doesn't rule out headphones, it just gets a bit more complicated as you will need an adaptor to enable connection.

Sid

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:43 pm

Beachcomber wrote:I have a friend who is partially deaf but, rather than rely on subtitles, he has connected a pair of wireless headphones to his TV and listens through those. He can hear every word and does not bother those around him by having to have the volume too high.
I can assure you that there are different types of deafness and headphones turned up to full volume is ever going to make me understand what is said because the brain cannot interpret that which is no there.