907 tv signal weak

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
olive
Andalucia Guru

907 tv signal weak

Postby olive » Fri May 11, 2018 5:31 pm

For some time we have suffered poor signal. Understandable when we had bad weather over the last few weeks but it is still poor now we have fine weather.

Anyone else having the same problem at the moment?

If not then maybe my 80 cm dish has moved. It does sit in the prevailing wind.

Would a larger dish improve matters during bad weather spells?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: 907 tv signal weak

Postby El Cid » Fri May 11, 2018 5:45 pm

The transmission power seems to have reduced a slight amount recently. I noticed this a few days after my dish was realigned. A 100cm dish will improve the situation in bad weather, but being larger is more likely to move in very strong winds.

The LNB is the other obvious potential problem - maybe worth trying a new one.

Sid

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri May 11, 2018 5:51 pm

Olive,
As Sid advises... possibly the LNB, I replaced ours a few months ago , we did have a few problems with rain and high winds, I fitted a dual LNB and have had no problems since ...

Regards,
Gordon

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri May 11, 2018 6:00 pm

Beni

I have a Black Premium 40mm dual lnb already. Where did you get yours from please ? Locally or mail order? I am quite keen on that as a possible fix. The signal strength is 33 % now.

I was thinking that some sort of adjustable stay fastened to the wall and the rim of the bigger dish would be a good idea. We are exposed to fearsome autumn gales broadly from the West.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri May 11, 2018 6:18 pm

Try https://www.amazon.es/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_ ... B17LODPVRV

My installer recommended the single Ultra as the best for i907

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B001ON ... UTF8&psc=1

Sid

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Fri May 11, 2018 6:37 pm

My understanding is that, for weak signals, a single LNB is best, because this one 'coil' can be placed at the exact focus of the dish. With dual/quad LNBs, there is a compromise, because not all of the coils can be located at the dish's focal point, and signal strength is reduced.

One or two of our neighbours have added struts to the edge of their dishes, to minimise dish movement in high winds.
Chris

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri May 11, 2018 6:43 pm

Can't find how to see if any of the Amazon.es suppliers are Spanish based. We need a twin even though a single could give a better signal.

I was just about to plump for a quad from France but suspect that splitting the signal compromises quality, ditto quad to single?

Just bought a twin from orbitaldigital here in Spain :thumbup: I will post what improvement it makes.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri May 11, 2018 7:03 pm

Olli,
Sorry about the delay in replying, I got my LNB from Ebay- tv-zone....£11.92 + £5.73..arrived quickly...
Don't know how that compares with what you have ordered.?

Not had any problems since I fitted it and still a strong signal during the 'Tormenta'....

Regards,
Gordon

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri May 11, 2018 7:48 pm

olive wrote:Can't find how to see if any of the Amazon.es suppliers are Spanish based.
What difference would that make, so long as is shipped to Spain?

Sid

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri May 11, 2018 8:01 pm

Old people that can't watch UK TV. No decent internet to stream TV.

Hopefully my Spanish seller will have the item here early next. Some Uk sellers were offering up to two weeks plus the Seur "only deliver to your area on a Thursday malarkey" This is coming through Correos.

20 euros including carriage.

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Sat May 12, 2018 8:04 am

Personally I have found the GI range of LNBs to perform much better than the IUB range, with the GI twin and quads performing slightly better than the GI single. (whereas the IUB single outperforms the IUB twin and quad!)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat May 12, 2018 10:26 am

That's useful info.
Chris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat May 12, 2018 10:47 am

No problems here with our 80cm dish even in the storms and is all working fine although we only have a single LNB. Hopefully you'll solve your problem when you fit your new one.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Sun May 13, 2018 1:56 pm

Sorry to hijack the thread but I thought you couldn't get ITV etc without a 1.9mtr dish here in Southern Spain. I know you can point the dishes towards the west but I thought that you then needed a special box to decode signals meant for British forces. However, only the other day a lady here said she is getting all the UK freeview channels ITV etc on a 1.2mtr dish and still using her old Humax box. Obviously I'm missing something.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun May 13, 2018 4:50 pm

The satellite used is Intelsat 907 which, amongst many other things carries the UK Freeview channels as a backup for Terrestrial Freeview in the UK. It is encoded, but the BISS codes are easily available on the Internet and haven't changed for 2 years.

You need a special receiver as the frequencies used are outside some of the more common receivers. Also, it needs a firmware update to allow access to the codes. I am not aware that a normal Humax box can be used. It only requires an 80cm dish or an old Sky dish can be realigned. Typical cost from many installers in southern Spain is about €300 installed with a new small dish. Cheaper if your redundant Sky dish can be used.

Picture quality is first class on the HD channels.

The satellite is due for replacement soon, but it will be replaced with a new one. Whether it will still carry the UK channels is always questionable as the UK TV companies could stop using the service at any time. People were saying that 3 years ago when I installed it and it still works fine.

Incidentally it has nothing whatsoever to do with the British forces.

Sid

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri May 18, 2018 9:26 am

Update.

The new LNB arrived on Thursday so marked relative position to clamp and exchanged them. Then spent about 30 minutes moving a bit and getting TV signal strength via walkie talkie (very handy). I also moved the dish very small amount towards the prevailing wind. Quite surprising what a difference a minute adjustment makes.

Anyway all set now for the weekend. There is a Royal wedding . They kept that quiet. A Prince Henry apparently.