Casting bbc and itv

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
ashtondav
Resident

Casting bbc and itv

Postby ashtondav » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:54 am

I have installed a vpn on my iPad, and can watch iplayer and itvplayer on the iPad perfectly. However when I use chromecast to the tv I can cast itv, but not iplayer - it just freezes on the shot displayed in the programme information screen. I’m guessing iplayer knows the original signal is from the uk, but any other ideas? Could I load the vpn on to the laptop and cast the browser to the tv.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Casting bbc and itv

Postby markwilding » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:07 pm

I tried it with unblockus and it didn’t work but It was working with one of my Smart DNS servers when I tried it some weeks ago.
I would also assume that if you are only using a VPN on the Ipad, it will only work on the Ipad.

The router would need to be set up with some sort of VPN or DNS server as well because It’s not possible to change these settings in Chromecast.

Some time ago I posted instructions on how to use port forwarding to get it working with a DNS server in a router, which are also easily found by googling, but you would need to pay a subscription.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:42 pm

This is an old topic, but I have a question about casting.
If I cast a YouTube video to my TV both are connected to my wi-fi.
Does the video go to the laptop then to the TV or direct to the TV from the router?
Not that there is a problem, I'm just interested.

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:22 am

The laptop is basically a "remote control" for the cast device.
The cast device links and plays directly from your router
The data does not flow from your router to the laptop to the cast device.

Which is why if you want to stream like BBCiPlayer, you need to configure the router for the cast device
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:18 pm

Which is different to screen mirroring. I don't have an Android phone so I cannot cast to my TV but I can mirror what's on my computer screen to the TV. but I also have a Chromecast which takes the stream directly from the net but is controlled by my phone and produces better results.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:41 pm

Thanks, satandpcguy, exactly what I wanted to know.