Eurona satellite option

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Eurona satellite option

Postby bbobandannie » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:45 am

After two years of decent IPTV/internet coverage through Movistar 3g we have now moved to a new house (Carratraca)and all Is great except we now get a very poor 3G signal (fluctuating between 1-2g with an external omnidirectional Ariel) so we are looking at new options. Looking at the eurona satellite option with a max download of 100gb. Expensive I know but I don’t think that even this data allowance will suffice.
Question is, does anyone know how much IPTV I could watch with this allowance and, probably more important, does anyone have any recent experience with the system?
Any input greatly appreciated.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Re: Eurona satellite option

Postby TorreDelAguila » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:44 am

Does anyone offer wireless internet up your way? Here, we get 15Mb down and 5Mb up, for €35+iva per month. Unlimited data.
IPTV just needs 4Mb down to avoid buffering.
Chris

bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bbobandannie » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:02 pm

Chris, I haven’t seen it advertised anywhere. I did ask about WiMAX but that’s not available. Who are your providers?

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:26 pm

We're with FOBOS Telecom, based in Algarrobo, but they're a regional outfit servicing this area, but not everywhere. You could ask them for suggestions: these folk all seem to know each other!
Chris

Evaready
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Evaready » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:35 am

We have Quantis (now owned by Eurona I think) satellite and the 100GB per month download and use IPTV (because Movistar won't give us 3G and there is no other mobile signal, WIMAX or anything else- we are in deepest darkest Catalunya these days). We used to have problems around the end of the month until we worked out that Quantis had us on a 30Gb per month contract even though we were paying for 100GB (still waiting for the refund of more than Euros 500). However, now we have actually got what we are paying for we do not use anything like 100GB per month. We are not massive telly watchers, bit more in winter than summer and watching at least an hour a day and maybe more at weekends and the odd film, we probably only use about 35Gb per month (I also work from home 2 weeks a month using internet, but largely for documents). Generally it works very well except during really bad weather and also not doing quite so well during the World Cup. However, it does work and I would have said that 100GB per month should be plenty unless you are watching TV all day. Download speeds range from about 1Mb (useless) to the advertised 22Mb, but again better since they put us on the right contract. Hope this helps.

Evaready

bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bbobandannie » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:19 pm

Evaready, thanks for the info. Would you say that the lower speeds were generally after you had exceeded your (incorrect) limit? That would make sense as they do say it will throttle back to 256k or 3Mb if on the bigger package. What would you say is the average speed? Hoping for an average above 4mb when within the data allowance. Thanks in advance.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:05 pm

Just a thought. Does the Eurona package have an unlimited period? We have 20gb satellite from a different provider and the package is unlimited 11 pm to 7 a.m. we record during that window, a fair few programmes via iplayer for playback at a time convenient to us. We also have the five basic channels via a different dish. I read somewhere an hour of tv uses about 0.6 GB. Via the internet

You get a comprehensive tool to monitor your satellite useage . I use ours regularly each month towards period end as it is a real pain when you get put on the naughty step and throttled back.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:25 pm

TorreDelAguila wrote:Does anyone offer wireless internet up your way? Here, we get 15Mb down and 5Mb up, for €35+iva per month. Unlimited data.
IPTV just needs 4Mb down to avoid buffering.
Not quite true as it depends whether you want SD, HD, 1080, 4k etc. 4Mb is more than sufficient for SD. However jitter and latency are as important as raw speed.

These are Netflixs recommendations

0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed

1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed

3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality

5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality

25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality

Their data use age numbers

Medium (SD: 0.7 GB per hour)

High (Best video quality, up to 3 GB per hour for HD and 7 GB per hour for Ultra HD)

Do some simple sums to see what 100Gb per month gets you timewise.
Last edited by casita-bonita on Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Bob

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:51 pm

Sorry, Bob - I should have said "...for SD".
Chris

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:44 am

Would it be feasible, using the Netflix BBC apps on you phone, download programmes when you are in a public WiFZone in a bar or shopping centre etc and cast programmes from the phone to the TV using something like Chromecast to save data?
Last edited by markwilding on Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:46 am

Just call me Mr Pedantic...
Regards

Bob

Evaready
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Evaready » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:23 am

Sorry Bbob, was rather overtaken with work.

yes, the slow down happened after we exceeded the limit. That said, in the last week the speeds have been absolutely terrible- less than 1Mb. Quantis have finally conceded that it is a problem with the satellite and in theory are working on it. My guess is that it is the football that is causing havoc with their available "bandwidth" (or whatever satellites actually have). We haven't been able to watch IPTV for a week and although we have asked for compensation I am extremely doubtful that we will ever see it. We did know that there was likely to be a drop in speeds in summer, but down from 22Mbps to less than 1 is really not good.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:35 pm

I think there is one satellite company which Ithink is KA. Companies lke my supplier (Bentley Walker) resell and provide the customer interface. Presumably Eurona are a reseller too.

Do you use their usage tool? You can see how much you have used and other performance info. You put your five digit customer number in after KABW in my case.