"You have no Data Connection" android mobile

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

"You have no Data Connection" android mobile

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:55 pm

Trying to check in and load boarding passes for a Ryanair flight - that I have done with no problem in the past I can get (sometimes!) to my flights, but when I click on the icon I get the message that I have no data connection. I have checked that my settings are correct, and have wifi and G2/3 on the top line but no good. I can get on to the web ok, and my data usage is way below maximum. I called at a Moviestar shop for advice but he could not get in properly either, and said that the phone was slow because it is old and has little memory. It is Samsung GT-18260 running android version 4.1.2 and dates back to I think 2013.
Is there anything I could do, or is it time to pension it off and upgrade? Used iphone 5s seem cheap in the UK (Argos) so it could be good timing!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Re: "You have no Data Connection" android mobile

Postby Lyric » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:35 pm

I would council against an old iphone, they go obsolete and applications just don't run.
As Android is now v7 it is probably time for an upgrade. See what offers you can get from your provider. Last year we got two LG k10s free with a minimal contract and are delighted with them.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:41 pm

Lyric wrote:.
As Android is now v7 it is probably time for an upgrade.
Keep up, latest Android version is Pie, v9 :wave: :wave:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:06 pm

So it is the phone? Wondered it it was just an easy thing to suggest or trying to get some money off me...there are lots of pre-owned android and i phones at reasonable prices in Argos.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:32 am

Hi Peter
My "Keep up" remark was aimed at Lyric not you.
I downloaded the Ryanair app onto my old tablet also running Android v4.
Was able to access my boarding passes OK.
However if I went outside my house where the WiFi signal is weaker I got "You have no data connection"
Try again somewhere where you know you have a good data connection. Cheaper option than buying a new phone.
I find the Speed check Pro app very good for giving me information about quality and speed of connection.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:32 pm

peteroldracer wrote:Trying to check in and load boarding passes for a Ryanair flight - that I have done with no problem in the past I can get (sometimes!) to my flights, but when I click on the icon I get the message that I have no data connection. I have checked that my settings are correct, and have wifi and G2/3 on the top line but no good. I can get on to the web ok, and my data usage is way below maximum. I called at a Moviestar shop for advice but he could not get in properly either, and said that the phone was slow because it is old and has little memory. It is Samsung GT-18260 running android version 4.1.2 and dates back to I think 2013.
Is there anything I could do, or is it time to pension it off and upgrade? Used iphone 5s seem cheap in the UK (Argos) so it could be good timing!
Using the wifi, I would try to connect when you are in the same room as the wifi router, Check what wifi signal strength is showing on the phone. Might be worth uninstalling apps that you never use and also check which ones are running in the background, disabling the ones you don't use.

It could of course be that the latest Ryanair app does not run with older versions of Android, but wouldn't expect it to indicate that by saying, 'no data connection'.

If you do upgrade, personally I would go for a newer android....better value for money than old iphones.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:40 pm

Did you check in the settings section of ypur phone to see what actual signal strength you have as maybe your network signal was lower than the norm so thats why you were getting a no data warning

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:58 pm

elusive wrote:Did you check in the settings section of ypur phone to see what actual signal strength you have as maybe your network signal was lower than the norm so thats why you were getting a no data warning
Shouldn't be a problem if he uses wifi instead of his data connection :D

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:04 pm

Looking at Sim Free Samsung Galaxy J5 2017 Mobile Phone - Gold in Argos: £200.
2GB RAM operating system 7.1

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:23 pm

That is quite a good phone, I have the 2016 model.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:24 pm

peteroldracer wrote:Looking at Sim Free Samsung Galaxy J5 2017 Mobile Phone - Gold in Argos: £200.
2GB RAM operating system 7.1
Your old phone is probably ok, unless you really want a new one :?:

Did you try to access the Ryanair app using data and then wifi :?:
Did you get the same error message for both types of connection :?:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:05 pm

Hi gerry
Never been very happy with volume, signal reception or browsing speed with this phone, so am open to change.
Tried both ways to access
with same (lack of) result

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:26 pm

Have you tried un-installing the app and re-installing it? Rebooting phone?
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:33 pm

Have just uninstalled the app. It used to work fine a year ago but will not reinstall.....”not compatible with your device” so the later versions must need a later android system.
Sounds like a trip to Argos when in Leeds is on my programme...

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:58 pm

Yep, requires 4.4 and up. If your phone won't update to a newer version, definitely time for an upgrade! Not sure Argos have the best choice, maybe worth trying Currys (or others) as well. Motorola G6 32GB for £169 looks a good bet.
Last edited by Miro on Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:28 pm

Please don’t deliberately go off topic. If you want to talk about baggage, start a new thread or check for an existing one.

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:08 pm

I have had the phone on automatic updates since new, but it seems this does not include the important bit - the android system!

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:59 pm

My Vodafone smart 6 phone reckons to update its Android from time to time ... not sure what version it is actually on but the phone is about 3 or 4 years old - every now and then it suddenly decides it has no signal via 4G, 3G, H or H+ (what are H and H+ plus anyway?). I Googles of course the first couple of times this happened, and found instructions like turn Data off and then turn back on again, turn Wifi on and then off again, go to Flight mode and then back again - and if all else fails to re-boot - turn it phone off and turn it back on again. In fact only this last procedure has had any effect at all. Each time it happens, did it again today in the middle of reading an article on the Vuelta on Chrome, the only way to get the signal back is to turn the phone off and restart - hey presto, there is the signal and a good one at that - so what happens to turn it off mid-task !!!

OH has a slightly newer version, by about 6 months, of the less posh version of the Vodafone smart, and has never had this problem - obviously we are using the same access to the data signal, so I dont understand it ...

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:19 pm

peteroldracer wrote:I have had the phone on automatic updates since new, but it seems this does not include the important bit - the android system!
Phone manufacturers don't bother updating old phones to the newer operating systems for a couple of reasons.
a) It costs them time and money to modify the code so it runs on the phone, especially if like Samsung, they have their own custom version of Android and not the stock one provided by Google.
b) It encourages you to buy a new phone.

The best phone manufacters for upgrading to the latest versions of Android are Google with their Nexus/Pixel phones or Motorola.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:11 pm

Thinking....a few years ago I had to register my phone with Movistar (network provider). If I buy a phone in the UK will I have to register it there, or here? Is there a problem simply swapping the sim card into a new phone, and if I get a dual sim model could I fit a UK PAYG sim alongside the contract Spanish one for use in the UK?
It is times like this I need a tame 10 year old to sort it! Could I put the PAYG sim card from my OH’s basic phone into my discarded smartphone?