"You have no Data Connection" android mobile

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Miro
Andalucia Guru

Re: "You have no Data Connection" android mobile

Postby Miro » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:22 pm

I bought a dual SIM Moto G from Amazon UK last year and put a UK PAYG SIM & a Spanish Orange (contract) SIM in. No problems with either.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:27 pm

Thanks miro..I normally buy everything in Spain, but there does seem better prices for what I want in the UK.
Best offer for trade-in so far is £8, so will not bother!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:42 am

peteroldracer wrote:Thinking....a few years ago I had to register my phone with Movistar (network provider). If I buy a phone in the UK will I have to register it there, or here? Is there a problem simply swapping the sim card into a new phone, and if I get a dual sim model could I fit a UK PAYG sim alongside the contract Spanish one for use in the UK?
It is times like this I need a tame 10 year old to sort it! Could I put the PAYG sim card from my OH’s basic phone into my discarded smartphone?
Simply put your existing sim card in your new phone.Might well ask you for the PIN number.
Both my Samsung J5 2016 and my wife's Motorola Moto G 2nd Gen are dual sim model phones.
NB not all phones are dual sim, I don't believe the Samsung J5 2018 is dual sim model.
We each have a Spanish sim card and a UK sim card in the phones.
Provided the phone is unlocked you can swap sim cards between phones without any problems.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:45 am

peteroldracer wrote:Thinking....a few years ago I had to register my phone with Movistar (network provider). If I buy a phone in the UK will I have to register it there, or here? Is there a problem simply swapping the sim card into a new phone, and if I get a dual sim model could I fit a UK PAYG sim alongside the contract Spanish one for use in the UK?
It is times like this I need a tame 10 year old to sort it! Could I put the PAYG sim card from my OH’s basic phone into my discarded smartphone?
Make sure you buy an unlocked phone., i.e. not tied to a network. Then just buy a sim from the company you wish to sign up with. If its a dual sim phone, then get another sim from a different company. Its the sim you are registering, not the phone.
If you are getting a UK sim, you will need a UK address.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:50 am

I am happy with the Movistar contract I am on, and since the change in roaming charges maybe a UK sim is not needed. If I simply put my present SIM into a new SIM-free phone should that work?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:55 am

peteroldracer wrote:I am happy with the Movistar contract I am on, and since the change in roaming charges maybe a UK sim is not needed. If I simply put my present SIM into a new SIM-free phone should that work?
Yes it will, read my previous reply.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:02 pm

As Gerry said, it should do Peter, that's how I have changed phones although the set up of everything took me about a day as on one of them I hadn't saved my contacts to the SIM before moving it! It's not the phone part that I find complicated but setting up syncing for the emails etc, although once signed into my accounts it wasn't too bad.

Too many apps and whatnots on new phones but I have put my very old Spanish SIM into a new Smartphone and also my UK SIM has been moved without major problems. The only thing was that my previous UK phone was so old the SIM had to be cut down to fit which I didn't do very well so it wouldn't work, but they sent me a replacement free of charge (keeping the same number).

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:07 pm

Wicksey wrote:AThe only thing was that my previous UK phone was so old the SIM had to be cut down to fit which I didn't do very well so it wouldn't work, but they sent me a replacement free of charge (keeping the same number).
Most SIMs supplied they days come in 3 sizes, so you just push out the size you want.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:10 pm

But I would only have the SIM in my current phone, which will be the size it is? Or does a SIM come with the phone and somehow you transfer the data from the old one?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:28 pm

Unless the phone is locked into a network, i.e not sim free, it won't come with a sim card.
Transfer all your contacts from your old phone to your sim card.
Put the sim card in your new phone and either use the contacts from the sim card or transfer them to your new phone storage.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:31 pm

peteroldracer wrote:But I would only have the SIM in my current phone, which will be the size it is? Or does a SIM come with the phone and somehow you transfer the data from the old one?
If you are buying an unlocked phone it usually won't come with a SIM, after all SIMs are network related. Check what size your existing SIM is, most new phones use nano SIMs....which your existing one probably won't be. Just contact MovieStar and tell them their SIM won't fit in your new phone, they will send you one the correct size.
As reagards data, most of your data will be in phone memory, so make sure you have backed it up via google.
Once you register your new SIM, all the SIM info should be back.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:28 pm

The actual SIMs are normally the same size - it is the amount of plastic surrounding them that alters the size of the card. It is possible to cut them down to size. You can do it with a sharp knife but special cutters are available. Maybe your friendly phone shop have some and would do it for you.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:44 pm

That's what I tried to do unsuccessfully. The local phone shops wanted to charge so I thought I'd do it myself :? My UK SIM was about 7 years old and the card didn't have the nano size option. With the first Smart phone I ever bought the girl in the shop did cut down my old Spanish SIM, put it in the phone and set it all up for me, but unfortunately that shop is long gone.

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:02 pm

El Cid wrote:The actual SIMs are normally the same size - it is the amount of plastic surrounding them that alters the size of the card. It is possible to cut them down to size. You can do it with a sharp knife but special cutters are available. Maybe your friendly phone shop have some and would do it for you.

Sid
Don't try this at home. Good chance you or the pone shop will muck it up and then you can't even use it on the old phone. As I said earlier, it's best to just explain situation to MovieStar and get them to send you the correct-sized one. Simples ! :thumbup:

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:27 pm

Best thing is if you are using a android phone is to save all your contacts to your google account. Instead of your sim or phone memory.then when you sign into your new phone all your contacts will appear

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:30 pm

That assumes that you are happy that Google, potentially, has access to all your contacts?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:47 pm

My name is not Marvin....(the paranoid android?).
Just read that a SIM-free Samsung bought from them is only for use in the UK!
Maybe it will be easier to just get one from a Movistar shop here and let them sort it all out.....I am definitely getting too old for all this!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:02 am

peteroldracer wrote: Just read that a SIM-free Samsung bought from them is only for use in the UK!
Maybe it will be easier to just get one from a Movistar shop here and let them sort it all out.....I am definitely getting too old for all this!
Who told you it was only for use in the UK'
Sounds like utter nonsense to me.
Also Movistar won't sell you a SIM free phone, not in their interest to do so.
I bought both our SIM free phones in Eroski.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:43 am

Hi peteroldracer,
Worth a look is the Bq Brand Smartphone............

https://www.bq.com/en/smartphones

Bought two at a local phone shop in Alcalá la Real, SIM free with the added bonus of two SIM slots so can have UK and Spanish SIMs installed.

The Google Android OS hasn't been modified so gets regular updates..........Sid would say too regular......... :)
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:34 am

Carphonewarehouse.com “What is a SIM free phone?
SIM free phones are sold without any SIM card or network attached to them. Normally, people buy the phone and then choose a SIM only deal for their calls and data. All of our SIM free phones come unlocked, so you can choose whichever network you like – while Samsung Galaxy phones have to be used in the UK. ”