Movistar Fibre broadband.

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Movistar Fibre broadband.

Postby El Cid » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:34 pm

Movistar are at last installing fibre outside of the main towns.

We live in the campo about 2km from La Herradura. We have always had phone access, but ADSL was limited to about 2.5MB/s.

Yesterday, driving home, we came across a couple of Movistar contractor vans working on the overhead phone lines and it appears that they are now installing a fibre cable right up into the campo - at least 5km in total. Since there are probably only 10 permanently occupied dwellings in that whole area that really is a bonus. We asked Movistar a couple of months ago if there were plans to put in fibre and they said, no, not in the foreseeable future!

I also see that their latest offer is only €14.90/mth for 100mb/s - optional landline extra €17.90.

The latest Fusion offer is 100mb + landline + 2 mobile connections inc 2.2gb data and the basic TV offering - all for €48. €12 extra to upgrade to 600mb.

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Movistar Fibre broadband.

Postby costakid » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:21 pm

Both deals sound cheap. Perhaps Spain is at last getting competitive on its internet prices.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:49 pm

Yes, I think Movistar has finally got the message, however the hidden agenda is their TV offerings. They have a huge choice of subscription services to rival Sky at even higher prices. Their top offer is €150 a month for the whole package. That’s what they are now selling and broadband prices are now pretty irrelevant to them. Also the very high speeds they offer means in future, when, like Sky, they start offering 4K programming, they can easily support the bandwidth required for multiple users.

If you sign up for a basic broadband package, they throw in 4 months of the full package for free, hoping you will like it so much you will not cancel it.

Sid

tubalitas
Tourist

Postby tubalitas » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:25 pm

Hi Sid
So many Fusion packages to pick from
This is mine
I have Movistar Fusion fibre 600mb + landline + Movistar tv + 1 mobile with 5gb
a second mobile is optional with 200mb and each call costing 30c
monthly cost is 77 euros including IVA.

The speed is there and if you have a good neighbour wanting and willing to contribute it can be a cheap deal.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:27 pm

Out of interest, how does he connect to your system, by WlFi or a cable connection?

Sid

tubalitas
Tourist

Postby tubalitas » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:33 pm

I would not allow a neighbour to connect by cable
it is WIFI

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:40 pm

You do have potential problems with anyone sharing your IP address, WiFi or otherwise. If they use the connection for downloading illegal content then you will be the one in trouble!

Personally I would to do it.

Sid

tubalitas
Tourist

Postby tubalitas » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:08 pm

A very good point Sid I don't really want to share anyway.

tubalitas
Tourist

Postby tubalitas » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:26 pm

For info
There are 2 connections on my Movistar router
Movistar or Movistar plus under the same password
my laptop is old and can only use the Movistar on WIFI and get around 45mb
but if I cable it direct it can use Movistar plus and get around 588mb
new laptops will see Movistar plus but I am not willing to shell out right now for that.

I did not know about 2 connections and aged devices
the installer told me.

WIFI gets less speed than cabled, depends on device.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:59 am

Also the wifi plus is quite limited in its transmission range.

We have had fibre for 3 years in Estepona, we went to the UK last year but we moved back to Spain recently, we were offered the 600mb pack, I opted for the 100mb, (more than enough for us our amazon fire tv box streams faultlessly in 4k), it was installed the following morning, we have 2 sim cards with it and the movistar tv box, which looks like a mini movistar fibre router, and as well as Spanish tv it has a good spread of movies and tv series box sets which can be easily put back into English. There are subscription deals on the tv box if you want more premium stuff. They're always offering deals but look at the small print as they frequently up the prices later into the contract.
The good thing here is that the fibre link goes all the way to the router.

suzyq
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby suzyq » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:27 am

I currently have movistarfusion for landline , broadband and a mobile. It is not fibre. But gives a speed of about 13 download and is quite reliable. I have had this deal for about 4 years and price has sneaked up progressively from 48 euros to 60 euros a month. Are movistar amenable to offering new competitive deals ? I seem to get lots of offers from other fibre companies offering cheaper monthly payments but unfortunately laziness and General inertia gets in the way of me progressing these offers. There is definitely fibre available in my apartment complex.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:36 am

Contact Movistar and tell them you are considering moving to one of the better deals you have been offered and ask if they will match, or better, the deal if you stay with them.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

tubalitas
Tourist

Postby tubalitas » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:09 pm

I only recently found out that Movistar charge you to receive international calls and also charge if you dial an international number which is unanswered.
Maybe they charge to receive a text from outside of Spain, I don't know, just posted this for anyone who may not be aware.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:32 pm

They most certainly do not charge to receive calls of any sort to our landline or for unanswered calls. If you have been charged, contact Movistar.

Are you talking about landline or mobile calls?

Sid

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:45 pm

I have been with Movistar/Telefónica for just over thirty years and I have never been charged for an unanswered call. The only time I have been charged for incoming calls is when I used to redirect calls from landline to mobile in the early days of mobile phones when I carried it around over my shoulder.

This service is still available but you are obviously charged for it.

tubalitas
Tourist

Postby tubalitas » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:44 pm

Hello Sid and Beachcomber
I am talking landline and am online with my movistar account and can see that I am being charged for dialing a UK number which was unanswered and I did not let it ring enough to go to answerphone. I won't post my bill but I have proof that they charged me for it and will be taking up this issue with Movistar.

I've had my account with them for 16 yrs and for sure a lot of people have been with them longer.
Need to keep a check because they can and will change things.
If anyone has dialed a UK number recently from Spain via a movistar landline with no answer and has not been charged please let me know.
Last edited by tubalitas on Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:57 pm

There may be hope for me getting fibre yet then.
Regards

Bob