USB adaptors

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

USB adaptors

Postby Wicksey » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:41 pm

One of my Smartphones came with a USB adaptor for charging from the mains and I use this for charging my other phone and iPod. It says it is 5V-1A.

I have just bought a new weather station that disappointingly needs to be plugged into the mains via a USB (our old one was battery powered). I am using my phone adaptor for now but am looking at buying a new one but I notice they seem to have different power outputs, although all 5V.

The weather station says 'Adaptor output 5V 500mA'

The adaptor I was going to get (as I can use my BP petrol points) is this one: https://elbeproducts.es/elbe/accesorios ... rg-2000-n/

Is it safe to use on the weather station? It seems to say that the 2 different sockets are quick or normal recharging, but what about using it for constant power supply?

Thanks muchly :wave:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: USB adaptors

Postby El Cid » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:01 pm

It will be fine. These are Smart chargers and only supply what the device needs. The 2a outlet is best for tablets rather than phones as they will charge quicker. You can plug a phone into the 2a outlet but it won’t charge any quicker than the 1a outlet. The weather station will be fine on the 1a outlet.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: USB adaptors

Postby Wicksey » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:08 pm

Thanks a lot Sid. I never looked before so didn't realise that they had different powers on it.