Best Android or other TV service box

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Best Android or other TV service box

Postby Dunflittin68 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:21 pm

I have been using a T95 android box for about 3 and a half years but we are now getting constant freezing and "flicking out" of programmes back to the channel listing and I am thinking it might be the android box.

Can anyone give me a brand that I can buy which is fairly stable and reliable for TV streaming ?

TIA :D

dxf
Resident

Re: Best Android or other TV service box

Postby dxf » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:07 pm

Hola
I've just bought another box from www.entertainmentbox.com - For the first time ever the box arrived with a problem (I have bought from them many times before) and there was no problem in returning the defunct box and them posting a replacement.

I recommend the T8-V box with an air mouse

usual disclaimer - I have no connection with the company save as a satisfied customer

Davexf

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:14 pm

The Amazon fire TV box. If nothing else, it has a easy to use remote. It's an Android based box so it's possible to install Kodi on it.

A new stick has just come out with 4K capability for 50 quid

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:35 am

dxf wrote:Hola
I've just bought another box from http://www.entertainmentbox.com - For the first time ever the box arrived with a problem (I have bought from them many times before) and there was no problem in returning the defunct box and them posting a replacement.

usual disclaimer - I have no connection with the company save as a satisfied customer

Davexf
Excuse my lack of tecnhical knowledge, but what is an "air mouse" ? :?

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:37 am

markwilding wrote:The Amazon fire TV box. If nothing else, it has a easy to use remote. It's an Android based box so it's possible to install Kodi on it.

A new stick has just come out with 4K capability for 50 quid
I was keen on the Amazon Fire Stick but read on their site that they do not post to Spain plus they state that they cannot support the content in "other regions", which seem to indicate it may not work as well as it does in the UK.

Or am I wrong ?

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:46 am

Get it shipped from U.K by a friend or relative. Make sure you log in to device using an Amazon U.K account and use in tandem with a Smart DNS and it will work perfectly.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:48 pm

Not sure that is absolutely true. I have a firestick. Logged into my UK Amazon account, and I have DNS redirection on my router, which is working just fine.

I sort of accidentally enabled the prime trial while purchasing something on the Spanish amazon site.

If I use the Prime app on my android box I get access to the video content. Alternatively using the prime app installed on my fire stick that also works. If however I try to watch prime video with the native fire stick interface, I.e the menus at the top of the screen I get an error message and refusal to play. The error says that my location/postcode is wrong. You can't set a Spanish postcode in the fire stick settings. So kind of stuffed really, well not completely as I could use the prime app I suppose.

Android box wise I'm using a T95Z plus. Had no real issues with it in 18 months or so that I've had it. Best of the handful that I have tried over the last few years.
Regards

Bob

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:09 pm

Well if you've signed up and using Amazon Prime Spain then of course you won't get the U.K Prime content as your Firestick is recognizing as such.
I So Bella tis you

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:23 pm

Then surely the prime video app wouldn't work either.. I think that its likely that this is a result of the fire stick not bring officially available in Spain. Should try it over VPN I suppose, and see if that makes a difference.
Regards

Bob

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:39 pm

How can it NOT be "officially" available in Spain when Amazon sell and promote it on their Amazon.es website firmly marketed to the Spanish market?
albeit the basic eu Firestick which comes stripped of any U.K specific apps such as BBC iplayer but inludes Netflix and even includes the Movistar App. As it says the product is"Vendido y enviado por Amazon EU Sarl." So bottom line it's Official

https://www.amazon.es/Fire-TV-Stick-Bas ... azon&psc=1
I So Bella tis you

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:59 pm

Long time since I looked at firesticks on the .es site. So happy to be corrected if it is now available.

Mine, which was a uk purchase a couple of years ago still don't work tho', unless I use the Prime Video app.
Regards

Bob

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:25 pm

Long time since I looked at firesticks on the .es site. So happy to be corrected if it is now available.

Mine, which was a uk purchase a couple of years ago still don't work tho', unless I use the Prime Video app.[/quote]

All I can suggest is that your U.K Firestick has recognised and is using the Spanish Prime Account you say you "accidentally" signed up to. I would log out and restart the Firestick and input your Log In details for your U.K Account.
My Stick is registered to my U.K account and have my Smart DNS input into my router as you do and have no problem whatsoever accessing anything on the Amazon Interface.
I So Bella tis you

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:43 am

I can't use Amazon Prime on my Fire Stick because I'm not signed up to the UK service. However, when I have taken up the trial service, it works fine on the Fire TV.

On my TV even though I have the UK apps. it recognises the Spanish service and I watch it through that. I have no real need for the UK service but it seems that they have the rights to some Premier league matches next season so I might look at it again then.

To get UK apps on a Fire TV, the Amazon settings need to be set up as a UK account

To change your country settings:

In your Browser

Go to Manage Your Content and Devices.

Open the Settings tab.

Go to the Country Settings section, and select Change next to your current country.

Enter your new address, and choose your new country. Then select Update.

In the notification that displays on-screen, select the learn more option, and then select Transfer your Kindle account to or Update your default Kindle Store.

On your Amazon Fire TV, select Home > Settings > My Account from the menu, then select Deregister.

You are prompted to Register your device again. Re-enter your Amazon account information to register your Amazon Fire TV for use in your new supported country.

It would be interesting to know whether a Spanish bought Fire stick can be changed to download the iPlayer etc.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:47 pm

My firestick is registered with Amazon UK, as are my kindles.

I suspect that my Spanish prime subscription is just that, Spanish, so my UK registered firestick can't use it. Likewise if I shop with Amazon.co.uk then my prime subscription doesn't show.

I really only bought the firestick as a backup for my android box to watch BBC, ITV etc. If I move it to be a spanish registered device then I bet they will go away (as happens with my LG TV when i's switched from VPN to direct Internet Spanish connection). Not that bothered about Prime video to be honest.
Regards

Bob

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:18 pm

I only have one account with Amazon and it works with both the Spanish and UK Prime and on both Spanish and UK sites for purchases. Both addresses are the same Spanish one but the payment details are different.

If you are having problems accessing UK apps on your Fire stick,then you have it set up incorrectly.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:25 pm

casita-bonita wrote:My firestick is registered with Amazon UK, as are my kindles.

I suspect that my Spanish prime subscription is just that, Spanish, so my UK registered firestick can't use it. Likewise if I shop with Amazon.co.uk then my prime subscription doesn't show.

I really only bought the firestick as a backup for my android box to watch BBC, ITV etc. If I move it to be a spanish registered device then I bet they will go away (as happens with my LG TV when i's switched from VPN to direct Internet Spanish connection). Not that bothered about Prime video to be honest.
Confused as you say you have your DNS installed on your router why you would have a VPN installed on your LG TV, even more confusing as I was under the impression that you CANNOT install a VPN directly on to an LG TV? Can you explain how you achieved this?
I So Bella tis you

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:33 pm

Paulinmalaga wrote:
casita-bonita wrote:
Confused as you say you have your DNS installed on your router why you would have a VPN installed on your LG TV, even more confusing as I was under the impression that you CANNOT install a VPN directly on to an LG TV? Can you explain how you achieved this?
Simple really. I have 2 routers, one with smartdnsproxy DNS servers configured, the other plugged into on of it's LAN ports with a VPN to the UK configured. So I can connect the tv, or any device to one or the other. In actual fact I could now dispose of the secondary VPN router as my primary router has so called smart VPN functionality which allows me to specify by MAC address which device uses the VPN and which doesn't. Still a bigger speed hit tho'

The LG TV can't have VPN configured on it so I simply connect to one wireless network or the other. If I connect to the VPN network apps like iplayer are available,if I connect to the non-vpn router they disappear and the LG TV becomes 'Spanish' in terms of what apps are available. Switch back to the VPN network iplayer reappears and it becomes an 'English' TV again. So in a nutshell if my TV is connected directly to the internet it becomes a Spanish TV and DNS redirection makes no difference to this. If I connect it to the VPN router it becomes an English TV. So my TV stays connected to the VPN router, even though I very rarely use the TV for anything other than a display for my Android box, or Playstation, or firestick etc.

I also have VPN configured natively on my PC and tablet as there is far less impact on linespeed than connecting to the VPN router. Lose about 10% rather then 50% of my 15Mbs. 10% is neither here or there so I tend to keep VPN active on my devices that can be configured this way.

Seem to have strayed way of original topic, sorry...
Regards

Bob

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:45 pm

markwilding wrote:I only have one account with Amazon and it works with both the Spanish and UK Prime and on both Spanish and UK sites for purchases. Both addresses are the same Spanish one but the payment details are different.

If you are having problems accessing UK apps on your Fire stick,then you have it set up incorrectly.

Likewise I have one Amazon account I log into either es or uk. They appear to be separate as my Prime only shows on the spanish site, with the .uk site offering me a Prime trial. Orders I have made appear on their respective UK or ES sites. i.e orders made through the .es site don't show in ''My Orders' list on the .uk site, and likewise orders placed on the .uk site don't appear in 'Mi Pedidos' on the .es site.

Never said that I had problems accessing UK apps on my firestick. iPlayer, TVPlayer, ITVplayer etc all work perfectly and have done since the day that I got it. What I said was that I cannot watch Prime video on my firestick, but can on my Android box.
Regards

Bob

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:13 pm

I bought an Android MX 10 box from Amazon UK. It was to replace an older Android box that would not work with latest version of Kodi. I went for one that had a fast quad core processor, fast GPU, 4GB of RAM and 32GB of ROM. Very pleased with it.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:02 pm

Dunflittin68 wrote:
dxf wrote:Hola
I've just bought another box from http://www.entertainmentbox.com - For the first time ever the box arrived with a problem (I have bought from them many times before) and there was no problem in returning the defunct box and them posting a replacement.

Davexf
Excuse my lack of tecnhical knowledge, but what is an "air mouse" ? :?
Hola

An "Air mouse" is a remote that operates as a mouse as you point the remote at the screen. incidentally the latest version has a microphone so you can give commands to the IPTV box and a back lit keyboard - yes on a remote

Try looking at the site

Davexf