Android/ Satellite receiver combo

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
fyfin
Resident

Android/ Satellite receiver combo

Postby fyfin » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:23 pm

Has anyone got one of these. We can receive the UK channels with no problem using a 1.9mtr dish but my mate is buying a new TV and his old Sky box only has a scart connection and modern TVs are all hdmi so he needs a new box. He also wants to get an android box so he can apps like TVtap and Showbox but a combination of both would be ideal.

I know they exist but I wondered if anyone here has experience of them and could recommend or comment.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: Android/ Satellite receiver combo

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:26 pm

Surely the cheapest option is a Scart/HDMI converter? I got one from Amazon.es in 2 days for about €17 and our home theatre now works fine in hd.
https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B0784Q ... UTF8&psc=1
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:14 pm

Yes but he wants to buy an android box anyway and the Sky box is 10 years old so time to update he thinks. Seems to make sense to have both in one box. I have seen some on the internet but not sure how good they are.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:47 pm

Just buy a new Sky reciever. He will have access to online and catch up services as well. The biggest benefit with a Sky box is the EPG. You would imagine that if he subscribes to Sky, he would have time to watch anything not available through Sky anyway.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:11 pm

OK I ordered a Freesat GTC Android 6.0 4K TV BOX DVB-S2/T2/Cable/ISDBT 2+16G Satellite Receiver from ebay.es for just under €65 . It turned up inside 2 days and I got to play with it as my friend is not very good at sorting out electronic equipment. First it wanted to do some updates to firmware etc , all of which went through OK. For the satellite channels you had to select which satellite, so in my case Astra at 19.2East. It scanned and found all the channels (I only selected freesat channels). Easy to put them in favourites and in order. All working fine.
The android side had Kodi installed but no video addons. Also minimum amount of apps but easy enough to download with Play Store or installing from usb. Only one slight issue with Showbox app, it installs OK but then won't run afterwards, I'm going to try a vpn as I notice it behaves differently when you have one installed on another android box. Anyway, if you want a cheap combo box, so far, I would recommend it.