UK TV Channels for free

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
john the baptist
Resident

Re: UK TV Channels for free

Postby john the baptist » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:48 pm

IS there any free TV links ????? i dont have DNS or VPN. Just the bog standard fibre from movistar.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:21 pm

Watching football through third party sites will always be hit and miss with quality, times and buffering.
The Spanish match was on Sky as well as England’s match last night and although I wanted to watch England, I ended up watching the Spain Croatia one, which was rather exciting.
I would definitely check the the listings for the England match on Sunday to see if it is on Spanish TV due to its relevance for Spain.

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:35 am

I ended up watching the spanish game as well. very good and made the group interesting.

gruff
Resident

Postby gruff » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:08 pm

I've been using the free version of transponder.tv. It gives a reasonable number of channels to watch e.g. BBC2, Ch 5, Drama, TrueTV. Unfortunately every 45 minutes you have to reselect the channel. When we come out for the Winter will probable select the £6.50 per month option. Presumably you can do it per month?

All this talk of 45" and 55" is making me feel inadequate.

gruff
Resident

Postby gruff » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:10 pm

I am talking about Windows 10.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:51 pm

gruff wrote:I've been using the free version of transponder.tv. It gives a reasonable number of channels to watch e.g. BBC2, Ch 5, Drama, TrueTV. Unfortunately every 45 minutes you have to reselect the channel. When we come out for the Winter will probable select the £6.50 per month option. Presumably you can do it per month?

All this talk of 45" and 55" is making me feel inadequate.
I paid for just one month, didn't seem to be a problem.
Regards

Bob

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:05 pm

In other tech parts of forums posters say what they are using to view TV. The advice I pass on is obviously due to my experience and requirements.
For example to watching on a laptop doesn't need the same quality as watching on a giant screen TV.
Another important factor must be Internet speeds, which vary enormously.
Maybe if posters, who want advice, gave a brief account of their needs and what they are watching on, more appropriate advice would be forthcoming.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:27 pm

The main criteria, which are often mutually exclusive, are, picture quality, content, cost and reception (buffering etc).

Picture quality is at its best with a direct satellite feed, ie Sky or Intelsat 907. Most IPTV streaming solutions will be inferior, but some are better than others. Recently I have seen amazingly good pictures on BBC iPlayer, 90% as good as HD satellite. Free IPTV streams tend to be very poor. The paid for streams (typically €25 a month) are better, but certainly not HD quality. Amazon and Netflix are good, if you have a fibre connection you can receive 4K content but a subscription is needed.

Content is important - the the best solution will be Sky but that is expensive and no BBC ITV etc due to reception problems in Southern Spain. The IPTV streams offer at least as much with some channels that Sky do not provide such a BT, but again can be expensive for the best streams. Even then, many of the streams are going offline for legal reasons.

Cost can be an issue, Sky now costs a fortune and without the main UK channels is not a good deal. Paid streams are popular and most people are happy with them. Free streams tend to be poor by comparison - there’s no such thing as a free lunch.

Reception - if satellite, Sky or i907, no problem as the Internet is not involved. Any other system that uses the Internet will be subject to buffering if you do not have a 10mb plus connection. Even then there can be buffering due to to many users accessing the same content at peak times.

As Mark said it is useful if you are asking about TV options in Spain if you say what your requirements are based on the various criteria I have mentioned.

Happy viewing.

Sid

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:44 am

El Cid wrote:Sky now costs a fortune and without the main UK channels is not a good deal
unless you ask them they cannot help. If you ask, you can usually get upto 50% off for 12-18 months...not forgetting you also get SkyGo in the deal...and catch up and on demand inc iPlayer etc
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:02 am

I've heard that Sky Go might be available on Smart TVs and big screen gadgets in the near future. I use Sky go on my son's Play station, apart from a PC, the only way it's possible to watch on a big screen. Quality is great, much better than a standard definition Digi box but probably not as good as their current boxes and is much more stable than using third party apps.

Furthermore, I get it absolutely free using my brother's account. Not only that if you share the account with someone in the UK, no Smart DNS is needed

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:54 pm

my original question was if there were any online links for BBC ITV ect via the chorme internet and not android boxes, as it is the first games was on sky main event. Im watching the game today on telecinco. Ive got Digital plus and its 890 channels of which i have about 100 programmed. Ive had enough of IPTV with or without subscription as the quality is not there and i hate buffering. its been a very long time since i even considered live bbc or itv and was shocked by the fact that it was not available.
I did notice that on hipasat there is a BBC entertainment channel?? does anyone know anything about this channel???

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:46 pm

Just change to receiving Intelsat 907. All the main UK channels in HD for no charge apart from installation - about €300.
No DNS or VPN reqired and no monthly charge.
Sid

gruff
Resident

Postby gruff » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:44 am

Casita- Bonita, transponder.tv - is the payment for a calendar month or from that date?

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:06 am

I just assumed that it was for 1month from when i paid the subscription. My account info says 1 month from 5th Nov which was when i subscribed.
Regards

Bob

gruff
Resident

Postby gruff » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:10 am

Thanks for that.

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:32 pm

sid how much are the boxes for intelsat 907??? do you know?? I heard that this sat is coming to the end of its life and they wont be replacing it. I think 12 years is the max for any sat.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:13 pm

It depends on whether you have an existing dish. If you have an old Sky dish and it can be moved to the right alignment. Cost then about €200. If not you need a new 80cm dish and that puts the price up to about €300. However there is no ongoing charge.

Yes, the satellite is due to be replaced but there is no reason to think the service will be stopped unless the BBC etc choose not to continue the contract. The satellite will be replaced as it provides a huge number of US channels to Africa. There is only one transponder dedicated to the UK channels but there are loads of others which are unlikely to be interrupted if the satellite is replaced.

The BBC and others pay for a service, the fact that a satellite needs to be replaced is irrelevant.

Sid

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:57 pm

Slightly off subject, but I worked on some Intelsat satellites back in 2002 in Portsmouth, doing the last minute testing, before one was launched the following year. There were actually 2 satellites being built, one for Europe, and one for South America, though the South American one was cancelled at the last minute.
So this discussion bring back memories :D

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:50 pm

Re Intelsat 907 , do you need a special receiver or will any satellite receiver work?
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:51 pm

Intelsat 907 transmits at a higher frequency than Sky etc.
So it needs a receiver capable of receiving and using the signal.
A Technomate 5402 box or a VU+ box will be needed.
Both will need their software modified to access the signals. Might be other boxes available but total cost should not exceed about €300
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris