UK TV Channels for free

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
john the baptist
Resident

UK TV Channels for free

Postby john the baptist » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:07 pm

Hi its been a while as I have Spanish satellite now but the usual online sources for ITV and BBC all seem to be paid subscription.

I believe the last web page I used was Transponder TV but its no longer free. I certainly do not want to go through the Kodi app route as the buffering is unbearable.

Can anyone tell me what they are using if any. I dont have Intelsat so please no recommendations for that. The England game is tonight so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

John

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: UK TV Channels for free

Postby costakid » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:35 pm

The new Kodi is actually ok unless you watch a big live sporting event. Man v Liverpool or similar is almost unwatchable.

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:10 pm

All my boxes run android 4.4.2, I never found kodi reliable enough hence why ive now got spanish german and french paid channels via Astra 19 and using the redundant sky dish. €24 euros a year and practically all are in english. Eurosport HD is brilliant and I cant wait for the Dakar. Unfortunately no BBC or ITV however Saturday and sunday games plus no buffering and no time wasted finding live links a sub 420 quality on a 50 inch tv,

We still use the box but run an alternative to kodi for catch up.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:33 pm

Been using Transpondertv for the last few weeks. Have to say the streams are very stable and good quality. Have yet to see any buffering during the evening. You get a full EPG and a now/next list.

The downside at the moment is that they don't have an app so it has to be watched through a browser. Apparently one is in development. Now my android box appears to have a little inbuilt weirdness when it comes to browsers and I can't get their web interface to work fully. I've tried at least a dozen browsers and none of them work. But it's mainly to do with switching the epg view through, all, top, sport, news etc channel grouping. I can (and do) workaround it so right now it's a minor inconvenience as like I said the streams are quick to start up and solid.

I subscribed to the cheapest package which is £6.50 per month, but since recording and multiple concurrent devices isn't a requirement I will probably go for the 12 month package at £50 or thereabouts when this expires.

On experience so far would recommend them as a source for UK terrestrial channels. But you won't find SKY, or any of the paid for sports channels, which is fine by me as I have absolutely no interest in sport.

They have a 7 day eval so give it a try...
Regards

Bob

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:54 pm

I mainly use my Samsung TV for UK TV but obviously that is only an option when you are in the market for a new TV
I have various other gadgets that also gives access to free TV, the best in my opinion is Amazon's Fire TV because apart from the normal Catch-up apps which also offers high quality pictures for all the BBC channels and live TV on the ITV app albeit at a slight lower but acceptable quality.

Other Freeview channels can be watched the TVPlayer app which has a nice interface allowing for a smooth change of channels. I love doing all the techy stuff but when I sit down to watch and relax, I don't want buffering and all the nonsense that comes with a guy in his bedroom who creates an buggy app but never does updates.

Having said that if you want third part apps to watch all the other free stuff, it is also possible with the Fire TV. If you are watching in Spain, it is likely you will need some sort of VPN or smart DNS.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:54 pm

Transponder TV is utter rubbish, the quality they stream is SD 480p at best....and it shows. Can't see the point of it at all.

Agree with all you say Mark regarding Firestick. Have just upgraded to the New 4k stick which arrived today at uk so should be here early next week hopefully.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:08 pm

Amazon's 4k widgets really good.
Chris

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:38 pm

I notice that The OP wants to watch the England game which I believe is not tonight but tomorrow.
This match is on Sky so none of the above will be possible. You might be able to watch it on Spanish TV, If not, you can buy one day’s subscription to Sky via NOW TV on your computer or other gadget. You would need a VPN and a way to set up an account with them or do what you have been doing up til now and hope you don’t get too much buffering.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:50 pm

firsttango wrote:Transponder TV is utter rubbish, the quality they stream is SD 480p at best....and it shows. Can't see the point of it at all.

Agree with all you say Mark regarding Firestick. Have just upgraded to the New 4k stick which arrived today at uk so should be here early next week hopefully.

We sit a fair way from the 45" TV and the picture quality from where we are is certainly good enough. They apparently have HD in the pipeline... I'm more than happy to be watching reliable stable streams and if the price of that is for the time being it's SD then that is fine by me.

Whatever floats your boat, or for you doesn't in this case.
Regards

Bob

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:27 pm

Yep each to their own, but there are far far superior alternatives out there for no money apart from DNS supplier. TV Player for example have many streams are Full HD 1080P and at the worst are still HD 720P. Just from my experience 480p streams on my 55" Looks utterly appalling.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:43 pm

I also use tvplayer, until recently my main uk tv source. But you never know when an update is going to lock us out of it again. Likewise iplayer., which tvplayer uses for BBC channels.

What are the superior alternatives?
Regards

Bob

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:13 pm

Just looked at tvplayer channel list. This is what they currently offer in hd:-

BoxNation
Cheddar
Crime + Investigation
Colors
Fail Army
Ginx
History
Lifetime
MTV
Newsy
Pet Collective

No mention of any channels in 1080p,.

Not exactly channels i would watch. Not knocking tvplayer, but not exactly an HD channel fest.
Regards

Bob

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:44 pm

TVPlayer BBC Channels are Full HD also ITV is HD along with many others such as channel 4 and 5 are. These mentioned are FREE......so what advantage would a low SD quality 480p stream played via a browser on a large screen TV at best part of €7.50 a month by Transponder TV an Australian based company have over accessing TVPlayer or BBC iPLAYER ITV Hub etc etc. for Free on a Firestick or other device. None that I can see. But as you say its different strokes but I would feel that in many cases people now have 4K OLED uhd TV'S and similar and streaming a 480p programme would be not just disappointing but an experience I wouldn't want.

"Accessing TVPlayer television content
All TVPlayer apps can be used via devices connected to all 3G, 4G, and Wi-Fi Internet connections[6]. Some channels are only available while using a Wi-Fi Internet connection due to licensing rights and legal restrictions. TVPlayer is a United Kingdom only service and offers streaming of up to 1080p ]video resolution depending on the playback device being capable. Two devices on the same account can stream subscribed content at the same time."

From TV Player Wiki page
Last edited by firsttango on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:51 pm

Obviously, they are the least popular channels but as the OP was asking for recommendations for free TV without buffering, the TVplayer offers all the BBC ITV and chanel 4 and 5 live. Updates are automatic and the apps have been built especially for The Fire TV so work as they should do. Any bugs are sorted out quickly.

Like the Iplayer TVplayer has adaptive sreaming which reduces the possibility of buffering so it will adjust the quality if there are changes in internet speed.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:09 pm

Not what it says on their own support pages https://support.tvplayer.com/hc/en-us/a ... tch-in-HD-

Article publshed 13 days ago..

Bored now. Strayed too far from op question. At the end of they day watch whatever makes you happy........
Regards

Bob

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:19 pm

Indeed I think the OP will have a good idea from the feedback what to use to access Free TV, and as he'd already used transponder TV as he said in his initial post!!! I doubt he'll go back down that route when so many superior options are available to him.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:51 pm

He actually said that the issue was that it is no longer free.

Still waiting for someone to elaborate on all of these vastly superior free alternatives. I am genuinely interested in what they are.
Regards

Bob

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:57 pm

Exactly you have hit the nail on the head he was asking as thread title suggests he was looking for FREE UK Channels yet it was you that brought the PAY Transponder TV into the thread for reasons only known to yourself.
If you haven't grasped all the superior alternatives by now I don't think with your absolute need to have the last word you ever will(well to be fair anything is superior to a 480p stream at €7.50 a month from Transponder)

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:03 pm

Back to Topic....John the baptist have sent you a PM with a few options you may wish to explore

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:27 am

easyview.eu
but be careful what you click on, as it can bring up some hidden nasties / ads
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it