Samsung Smart TV - change Apps region

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
sampedrena
Resident

Samsung Smart TV - change Apps region

Postby sampedrena » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:00 am

Hope someone can help! We have a Samsung Smart TV - a few years old now, but it does have Spanish Apps and a SmartHub. I would like to be able to get things like BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub etc - and also UK Apps (although that is less important).

We have an account with SmartyDNS and it seems that there is a way to do it - but I have a few questions:
1) Do I change the TV or the SmartHub or do I need to do both
2) We currently have a digibox which connects via one of the HDMI ports - ie not via the TV source. I don't want to do anything to stop that working - and that is making me wonder whether to try to change or not.
3) Reading the instructions it seems to be a 2 part process - Change Region and then put in the DNS info to change the TV. Does this sound correct?
I'm not an expert in this sort of thing - so I do feel nervous to start messing with things - in case I totally mess things up.

Any advice would be much appreciated - Many thanks
La vida es un espejo, si sonries ella te sonrie

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Samsung Smart TV - change Apps region

Postby Enrique » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:51 am

Good morning sampedrena,
Please post full Samsung Smart TV model number as changing Region can be specific to that model.

1) The DNS settings are set in the Network setting of the TV
2) Pass
3) Correct

Then update your SmartyDNS account and setup a shortcut to validate IP
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:49 am

This is something quite a few members have done with success and no ill affects to the TV.

To answer question 2, nothing will need to be done there as this process has nothing to do with any other gadget plugged into your TV.

Question 3, Most members change the DNS settings in the router so that all services such as laptops, media players, tablets and mobiles will be able to play the UK stuff. However, I have 2 DNS and use a different one for the TV and is simple to set up on the TV.

I'm sure you have already googled your model and have the instuctions to do it via your remote. Tell us how you get on.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:46 am

Changing DNS settings won't necessarily get you UK apps on your TV as this is a workaround to get you access to ipayer etc. I have an LG smart tv,. I find that if i connect it to a UK VPN i have the iplayer and other UK tv apps. If i connect it direct to my non-vpn network they disappear. Reconnect to the vpn and they reappear.

LG must detect whether its on a spanish, uk, or i guess other countries IP address and presents the appropriate app set for that country.
Regards

Bob

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:07 am

That's interesting so your LG TV changes depending on certain conditions. Are you using a VPN in your network or DNS server?

The OP asked about Samsung TVs which need to go through a different process.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:14 am

What model is the Samsung? The process for changing the apps region varies between models. Another easy option is to buy a NowTV stick for £15 and you will get all the main UK channels. It will also work much faster than the TV Smart Hub.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:52 am

casita-bonita wrote:Changing DNS settings won't necessarily get you UK apps on your TV as this is a workaround to get you access to ipayer etc. I have an LG smart tv,. I find that if i connect it to a UK VPN i have the iplayer and other UK tv apps. If i connect it direct to my non-vpn network they disappear. Reconnect to the vpn and they reappear.

LG must detect whether its on a spanish, uk, or i guess other countries IP address and presents the appropriate app set for that country.
I changed my location in my LG TV to England (in the set up menu) and all the UK apps automatically appeared. I then put the DNS into my router and they all work OK. I prefer the DNS in the router, as Mark says, then all my various computers etc have it from the router.

We also have a digibox connected to the TV but the apps and router setting don't affect the other sources (ie HDMi etc).

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:10 pm

In my case I set my LG TV to UK and like Wicksey all the UK apps appear and work (DNS installed in router) if I revert to the Movistar DNS the APPS remain but obviously do not work. The TV does not reset APPS to Spanish ones
I So Bella tis you

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:50 pm

The suggestions for an LG TV are useless on a Samsung as it uses a totally different system. It involves keyinga string of button presses during the setup process. Changing the country makes no difference.

Sid

sampedrena
Resident

Postby sampedrena » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:11 am

Thanks All for your replies. I've now got the Model No: UE46F6670

If it's possible, I think I'd rather change just the TV dns - rather than the router.

As we have the digibox service which gets us lots of channels and catch up, my main concern in thinking of making any changes - is to ensure that that keeps on working. It plugs into one of the HDMI slots.

Any help will be much appreciated - and please bear in mind that I am not a "techie"!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:00 am

A DNS service is not the same as a VPN because it only changes the Apps or websites it has been programmed to change. As a result, it will not affect anything else. For example, it will make an American and UK site available while maintaining access to Spainish sites all at the same time.

On the other hand, a VPN does a blanket change to one country, should you have the settings in the router. In most cases, changing DNS settings in your router is a simple process but installing a VPN into a router involves a hack and shouldn't be undertaken unless you are very technically minded so most people will buy a router with the VPN already installed.

Whichever way you chose to input your DNS settings, instructions how to do it will be on your DNS server's web site
Last edited by markwilding on Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:02 am

Hi sampedrena,

To set DNS in TV............

https://support.overplay.net/hc/en-us/a ... sung-TV-E-

Also has procedure to change Region if needed.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:20 am

Its an F series and the link you gave is the E series. The procedure for region is different. Use these links

https://support.overplay.net/hc/en-us/a ... TV-F-H-HU-

https://support.overplay.net/hc/en-us/a ... -HU-Series

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:28 am

Hi Sid,
I'd better go to Specsavers (there are other opticians )

Copy and Paste from OP's Post................ UE46F6670..........looks like an E on my screen..........

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:37 am

Specsavers for you indeed :lol: Most definitely F series the clue is 46F
I So Bella tis you

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:05 pm

Hi,
Thanks for that Guys.......
My link did have F series also............. :D

Ok pulled it up on 24"".......F hehe

Must get a larger screen......... :idea:

sampedrena
Resident

Postby sampedrena » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:00 pm

Thanks for the links and help - I'll need to get all my confidence together before I give it a try! Will read everything several times before attempting!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:50 pm

You won’t screw it if if you get it wrong - it just won’t work. Make sure you press the buttons close together, don’t pause between them.

Sid