Dynasties in UHD on BBC Iplayer

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Dynasties in UHD on BBC Iplayer

Postby markwilding » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:37 am

If you have the correct equipment it is possible to watch this series In UHD using the Iplayer. For me it only works using Smart DNS, not Smarty, on the PS4 but it is not possible on my Samsung TV or Fire tv.
I think it will work on newer Samsung TVs and other brands of 4K TVs.
Last edited by markwilding on Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Dynasties in UHD on BBC Iplayer

Postby Wicksey » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:44 am

We don't have enough ooomph to work 4K unfortunately. Us campo dwellers sometimes have to cope on 4mbps and only just get ordinary catchup to work. A shame as we have a 4K TV and can only get a fleeting glimpse of what it would look like as the picture loads initially then freezes.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:20 am

Just watched ep.1 (the Penguins). Both photography and picture quality (4k tv, 4k Amazon Fire tv and 10Mb/s) quite extraordinary. A lot of work went into the sound as well. Storyline of this episode really moving, too.
Chris

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:32 am

Blue Planet is now available on Netflix in UHD on its USA site.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Just watched 1st Episode and its truly stunning. But here's something I cannot get my brain around. I have Smart DNS set to Netflix USA. My Netflix account is Netflix Spain, however when I go to watch Blue Planet 2 via the Netflix app on my 4k Firestick I get error message "you are using a proxy please turn off and retry" but if I select any other Netflix prog such as House of Cards Narcos etc, they all play flawlessly. Now if I use the Netflix App on my LG TV I get no such error and Blue Planet 2 plays in UHD 4K. Anyone experienced similar or can throw any light on to why on 4k Firestick it throws up the error, solely on Blue Planet 2 ?

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:02 pm

We're experiencing the same on our Fire TV (type 2 box): some Netflix items (including NCIS) throw up that message, while others (like Designated Survivor, Once Upon a Time) play no problem.

It's on our list to message (= chat with) Smartdnsproxy. Their incident line (on-line chat, available 24/7) is extremely good. Will get round to it at some point.
Chris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:40 pm

So, just to clarify, how do I watch it? Is it on BBCiPlayer or only on Netflix?

Sid

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:11 pm

To clarify as above I watched Blue Planet 2 episode 1 in 4kUHD on Netflix via the Netflix app on my LG smart TV with my Smartdnsproxy set to Netflix USA (set within Smartdnsroxy user control panel)

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:18 pm

Thanks for that. I will try Netflix. It it possible to get it on iPlayer?

Sid

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:25 pm

Yes, it's there too. Provided you have a 4k box, a 4k tv, and decent bandwidth, it should all be go.
Chris

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:05 pm

Blue Planet 2 is on BBC iPlayer but pretty certain it is not available in 4K HDR I recall they made it available in this format back in Jan for a limited time only, hence I assume that is why it is now available on Netflix

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:05 pm

Always a bit difficult to know when you're actually watching best 4k or not. My understanding is that many of the on-line broadcasters/streamers will adjust the bit-rate of the programme that you are watching to match the speed of your internet connection. You used to have to (or were invited to) choose a lower picture quality if speed was slow, but now this adjustment happens automatically, I believe. Good tv sets (including 4k-capable ones) also 'interpolate' picture detail where it isn't pixel-perfect (or HD/UHD) in the signal, to simulate a top-quality picture.

There is normally no indication any of this is going on, so no confirmation that the picture you are looking at is actually 4k . . . except your own perceived satisfaction of it!
Last edited by TorreDelAguila on Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:52 am

Obviously there is so little UHD content on the BBC that it’s difficult to have a clear picture what works with what.
To watch Dynasties, i need to use SmartDNS as both Unblockus and Smarty throw up an error message.

Another problem I get is that for some reason, I cannot access Netflix or BBC 4K on my Fire Tv box, not a problem because I can access them through other sources, PS4 for Iplayer and the TV for Netflix. It might just be due to my set up.
I’m definitely watching in UHD, the pictures are absolutely stunning as was Planet Earth 2 but both only available through Netflix.

I am in London for a few days and hope to pick up one of the new 4K fire sticks while I’m here, John Lewis had sold out yesterday.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:58 am

Not sure if relevant, Mark, but Fire TV box mk1 wasn't 4k capable. I think mk2 was available in two versions, one of which was 4k. The mk3 'dongles' are all 4k, iirc.
Also not sure whether Int.907 is carrying 4k or not.
Chris

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:14 pm

markwilding wrote:Obviously there is so little UHD content on the BBC that it’s difficult to have a clear picture what works with what.
To watch Dynasties, i need to use SmartDNS as both Unblockus and Smarty throw up an error message.

Another problem I get is that for some reason, I cannot access Netflix or BBC 4K on my Fire Tv box, not a problem because I can access them through other sources, PS4 for Iplayer and the TV for Netflix. It might just be due to my set up.
I’m definitely watching in UHD, the pictures are absolutely stunning as was Planet Earth 2 but both only available through Netflix.

I am in London for a few days and hope to pick up one of the new 4K fire sticks while I’m here, John Lewis had sold out yesterday.
You will find the new 4K stick very much quicker and smoother in every way. I have the LG magic remote app on both phone and ipad which enables you to operate TV with them but also has a function which tells you at what resolution you are watching 1080p 2160p etc and how much bandwidth its using for that programme, its interesting to see how it fluctuates during certain scenes at one stage during Planet Earth 2 in 4kUHD HDR it was using/requiring 56mbps.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:51 am

Got the new 4K stick set it up in minutes, downloaded an alternative app store,which gives me all the apps to allow me to watch films sport, including Modro, Titanium TV, live net TV and countless others with ease

Kodi isn’t even necessary as its original idea was to have an interface for large TV screens and Fire TV’s is better..

No messing about with an air mouse, no payments to third party sites which disappear overnight and it plays Dynasties in fabulous 4K

All this £49.99 or less if you catch Amazon selling it cheaper at the right time
Last edited by markwilding on Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:42 am

markwilding wrote:, downloaded an alternative app store
How do you do that Mark?

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:04 am

markwilding wrote:
All this £49.99 or less if you catch Amazon selling it cheaper at the right time
Amazon UK are now selling it for £39.99 - they still will not ship to Spain though.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:18 pm

I was in London last weekend and picked one up in Argos. Another nice touch is the remote works the basic functions on the Tv

I found this website that explains how to set up the app store as well as other apps. Best way though, is to download the app store first and then download the apps you want from there including the ones not in the official Google or Amazon App stores
I did it by following the four bullet point instructions but there are also video instructions.

https://troypoint.com/install-google-play-fire-tv/

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:42 pm

I find it very frustrating that the BBC who in my opinion produce/commission some of the finest programmes around are lagging well behind the likes of Netflix, Amazon in 4k UHD content. Not a fan but I would have thought that with one of their flagship programmes in Dr Who that they would have broadcast this simultaneously in 4K.They probably have their reasons but frustrating none the less.