Passwords

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Stevemul
Resident

Passwords

Postby Stevemul » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:23 am

I see that some genius has has now decided that websites can generate a secure password for you if you need or want to reset it.
I've just tried this to order my monthly prescription so it's suggesting ( similar to)

Fmhtdfr-jjvTcS- bjkYcrD

I'm not supposed to write this down am I?

For someone who often forgets a 4 digit PIN number, this is a little challenging!
Should be fun next month!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Passwords

Postby costakid » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:36 am

HA HA, I think the idea is they let you get in with that then you change it to one you can remember.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:25 am

Use password manager. Do a Google search there are many available.
I use Roboform which is a password manager and much more.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:46 pm

I see no problem writing down passwords for sites that dont involve banking/card use etc. I doubt if someone breaks into your house they are that bothered about having the details of your andalucia forum account! In all seriousness though as others say that will be a one time code and then once your in you can change it.

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:15 pm

I was actually logged in and just wanted to change the password. It came up as a “ suggested password”. That was my point. I realise that there are temporary passwords when you forget and need a new one.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:40 pm

The problems with passwords on "safe" sites like A.com is that most people use a limited number of passwords, sometimes even only one, and they use them on all their sites. That's where the problems can arise as hacking your A.com password leads to other sites which might be more important to you.

The only really safe method is to use different passwords on every site, but that will almost certainly require a decent password manager to come up with the unique passwords and keep track of them

You should also use "two factor" authentication where it is an option as that makes it about as hackproof as you can get. Fingerprints and facial scanning also improve security by a huge margin.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:34 pm

Just had a quick count up.
I have something over 300 unique passwords for the variuos sites that need passwords.
So no way I can remember them all.
That is why I use a password manager.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris