Satellite dish alignment BBC or C5

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
fyfin
Resident

Satellite dish alignment BBC or C5

Postby fyfin » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:07 pm

We live in Almeria and I get all UK channels no problem with a 1.9mtr dish and a satellite receiver. I have a cheap one from Ebay as a backup to my Gigablue. My friend had a problem with his old Sky box when he bought a new TV (no scart socket) so I took my cheap box around as it was working fine on my dish but on his dish we had a good signal on C4 AND C5 but ITV and BBC were terrible, breaking up or no signal at all.
A satellite installer told me once before that if you align the dish to get C5 with a good signal you could start to lose BBC etc. I didn't know if this was true and wondered if my friend's dish needs to be aligned.

The last time they had a problem they called the guy out and he found a moth in the lnb but looking at my lnb I can't see how a moth can get in! lol
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Satellite dish alignment BBC or C5

Postby El Cid » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:37 pm

You are on a fringe area for the UK channels from Astra. The rest of Andalucia don’t get any signal at all unless they have a much bigger dish. There won’t be many members who have experience of your specific problem but our satellite expert will probably pop in and give you a better idea.

Sid

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:24 am

Of course this is all assuming that the dishes are the same make, model, and aligned correctly, and the same LNB and the skew is correct.
In which case, as long as you are in the same locale, then reception would normally be the same.

But C4 and Five are on horizontal frequencies.
Some BBC and ITV regions are on vertical frequencies.
Maybe your dish / LNB is not aligned as good as it can, hence the loss of channels.

Check this by ITV2 3 or 4...all three on vertical frequencies, and if i am correct these will also be breaking up / not available.

Or try BBC London, a horizontal frequency, and this should be fine.
A satellite installer told me once before that if you align the dish to get C5 with a good signal you could start to lose BBC etc. I didn't know if this was true and wondered if my friend's dish needs to be aligned.
Again depends as some BBC HD channels, and a fair number of ITV regions as some are on the same satellite beam as C5...

( https://www.lyngsat.com/packages/Sky-UK.html )
The last time they had a problem they called the guy out and he found a moth in the lnb but looking at my lnb I can't see how a moth can get in! lol
Prime focus dishes (1.8s and 2.4s), generally use a C120 prime focus LNB and a metal feedhorn / wave guide. These feed the signals through a "Hole" to the inside reception pins in the LNB. Insects and debris in this hole can limit reception. Some polystyrene can "plug" this hole without interfering with the signal.
Some installers use "universal" LNBs instead of prime focus LNBs. These Universal LNBs are designed more for the "off set" dishes, and they have a plastic cover on their face.
Sounds like perhaps you and your friend have different dishes / LNBs which may be causing the difference in reception on your box)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:03 am

You are right, all ITV2 3 4 are no signal but also BBC1 London is breaking up which seems strange. So is it the skew that makes the difference with regard to horizontal and vertical frequencies?
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:19 pm

Skew makes a difference on all frequencies. A few millimeters can make all the difference in channels being received or not.
As does the focal distance from the face of the dish to the feedhorn / LNB.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:31 am

hi satandpcguy apologies to tag onto this message but is it possible to have a receiver with the biss software for intelsat 907 AND have the firmware for the astra 19 ccam on the same box and have two or more sats feeding into the same box. ive for ccam astra but still would like bbc itv etc and if i could get the music channels and whatever is left on astra 28 then thats would be good as well.

can you put to lots of firmware or patches on one box???? also is it possible for you to pm a link to were the biss firmware can be found online.
muchos gracias
john

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:33 pm

I have two satellites on my VU+ box. I907 and Astra 28. You use a splitter called a Diseq switch. To cables in and one cable out.

Sid

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:26 pm

As Sid says, you can have multiple LNBs feeding a single reciver, using a Diseqc switch. Each LNB feed connects to a "port" on the switch, and you simply have to tell the receiver which satellite is on which port, under the diseqc / LNB settings in your receiver.
Usually you can only have one firmware on one receiver - but usually those firmware do all sorts of things, so it is not necessary to have one firmware for the biss code, and one for the ccam...
Not many free music channel left on A28, most have closed down, leaving just the pay ones, simply as there is no demand for them now online streaming is around. (Vintage TV went bankrupt due to this reason)
As to links for firmware, each receiver will have their own firmware, so there is no general link for firmware...but some sat sites (like satpimps or satuniverse) have dedicated areas for various receivers and their firmwares....

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:32 pm

thanks for the info much appreciated

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:49 pm

thanks gents, it seems what sid has is exactly what im looking to do. ive got a GT media freesat v8 receiver with a ccam for digital plus. do you think it will be enough for intelsat???? i have not seen the option to manually enter the biss code. how do you do it sid????