Linux - pitfalls & benefits

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Linux - pitfalls & benefits

Postby chrissiehope » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:01 pm

It has been suggested (by two computer gurus, including one on here !) that I switch to Linux.

I'm not against this, given that W7 will no longer be supported after Jan 2020, but am concerned about compatibility with the programs I use & the files I already have.

How easy is it to integrate W7 work into Linux ?
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Linux - pitfalls & benefits

Postby Enrique » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:12 pm

Hi chrissiehope,

"but am concerned about compatibility with the programs I use & the files I already have."...........so in detail please, list these programs and we can looking into "Linux" alternatives............ :idea:

If you where to move forward with this project I would suggest Linux Mint Cinnamon as a start.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:36 pm

I'm sure there will be alternatives, such as Libre , but it's the files I already have in, for example, Word Office & Corel, that I would want to work or at least be accessible without too much hassle

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:46 am

Good morning chrissiehope,

One way is get LibreOffice installed on your current system and have a "play"with the Word and Coral files using copies.

OR

You could just continue to run Win 7 after 2020..........it will be only the MS support that will stop.

"Yes, you can continue using Windows 7 even after January 14, 2020. Windows 7 will start and run just like it's doing today. But we advise you upgrade to Windows 10 before 2020 as Microsoft won't provide technical support, software updates, security updates, and fixes after January 14, 2020"

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:05 pm

I already have Libre Office ! I needed it for some DDTP & it worked fine. I will have a play as you suggest, but not at the moment, as it's gardening day (before the next rain comes ;-) ). Would I have copy & paste all my files, cos if so, it's probably a non-starter !

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:52 pm

Hi chrissiehope,

"Would I have copy & paste all my files, "..........not sure what you mean here :?:

A this stage of the "project" you need to be finding out if LibreOffice Draw can handle your Coral files, Writer the Word files.....etc.

Once you're happy you can process all your file types we can move forward ........a lot then will depend on the spec of your system.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:25 pm

So I try to open say, a Corel file but in LibreDraw ?

If I decide to go ahead, it may be simpler for my local guy to oversee it (& would save you trying to get thro remotely to my slow brain !), but that's not set in stone,as tho he's a really helpful guy, once he starts it's a bit like trying to stop a rollercoaster !

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:30 am

Good morning chrissiehope,
"So I try to open say, a Corel file but in LibreDraw ?"...........No you will need to research the method.

Fire off Google with some key words............Example

libreoffice draw working with coraldraw x7 files..............or what ever your version is

You need to play with a COPY of the Coral file until you get it to work as you want.

When you're happy with this part ...then your Guy can sort the Linux bit............Ideally you could get a dual Boot Windows 7 / Linux and then the files will be accessible from Linux , this will depend on the system specs.

Enjoy the challenge........... :D

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:37 pm

Right, I have opened Libre Office & then opened existing Corel, Word & Excel files into the respective programs. They have all opened OK, tho' some formatting has changed, which is irritating, but not drastic !

So when I have some clear free time (ha ha) I will let my guy loose on my PC & cross my fingers ;-)

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:35 pm

I still have windows xp on my home machine ... :lol:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:13 pm

I'm surprised you haven't been drummed out of the Brownies :-) !

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:13 am

I don't like to throw my spanner in; Enrique is much more qualified to assist (and, by all means, critique anything I suggest, I don't get precious about being told "bad idea, 1BL") but there's a flavour of Linux that I found handy (nothing to do with application software, I mean the operating system's "face").
Zorin OS. One of my Lenovos came with no CoA and I put Zorin OS9 on it (versions have moved on since then) and it runs all the Linux stuff (Libre etc) but you can set up Zorin to look like Win7, WinXP, Apple's OS if you like. I had it set to feel like Win7. I understand people saying "but why?" but it got me running very quickly as much of what I'd try on Win7 (bottom left to find applications, control panel etc) works the same way.

I was using it last time I was here writing to you. I've now swapped; bringing a Win7 Lenovo over and leaving the Zorin one back in the UK, but only because I have some car diagnostics stuff that I need Windows for, otherwise I found it an easy transition. You could always move to a more Linuxy feel later (or conversely, try Zorin before giving up on Linux altogether as too big a change).

Like I say, non-expert with old version of Zorin. Enrique may well have good arguments against - just throwing it in there.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:02 pm

Hi 1bassleft,
Good call on Zorin..........not one I've come across, good to hear from a real user.
I downloaded and install it (Zorin 15 ) today , went very quick and smoothly. The base system uses a fair chunk of memory not a problem if the system you're putting it on it up to the task.
A lot of older system I come across where bought on price and the specs are very low compared to what is around and needed today.

There are a lot of "lite" Linux system OS's around , its just finding one that supports the system hardware. Had to "try" a few recently to get a very old Compaq desktop to run OK , elderly user never used a Linux system before and is very happy with the result.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:58 am

Yes, just adding to what I was saying in my PM, when I (or a friend) is in need, I look out for those ex-corporate offloaded Lenovos such as the x201, 220, 230 or T410,420 etc that are a super-easy under-£100 buy with only superficial dinks. Plenty enough grunt for Zorin but I'm not sure about some of the older, 2Gb duo-core boxes out there