DNS recommendation

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
olive
Andalucia Guru

DNS recommendation

Postby olive » Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:59 pm

I suspect Smartdnsproxy is still the go to for expats in Spain but thought I would ask!

I have a Nord VPN subscription but that dns seems limited. My old Smartydns subscription is still current but they seem to have ceased trading.

Are some dns services faster than others for uk tv? Ie you lose less bandwidth by applying them?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: DNS recommendation

Postby El Cid » Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:04 pm

I use SmartyDNSProxy and have never had any problems. DNS systems do not normally slow down the connection but VPNs always do - some more than others.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:09 pm

I use smartdnsproxy.com and they seem to be good and reliable. If there is a problem they are quick to reply and remedy it.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:13 am

Thanks.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:04 pm

I use 2
Unlocator and SmartDNs. Signing up for free trials without signing up permanently will often mean they will send very good offers.

I’m paying 43USD for 24months with Unlocator and 19USD for 12 months with SmartDNS.

Both offer VPNs should they be needed.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:57 pm

Mark, why do you need two please? Is one better for UK TV?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:27 pm

As a backup.
Sometime one stops working for a short while.

I do have a question as well. I don’t get channel 4 live on the Firestick or Now so have to use the SKY app on the PlayStation. It would be more convenient on the Firestick. Anyone got it working?

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:43 pm

markwilding wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:27 pm As a backup.
Sometime one stops working for a short while.

I do have a question as well. I don’t get channel 4 live on the Firestick or Now so have to use the SKY app on the PlayStation. It would be more convenient on the Firestick. Anyone got it working?
Couldn't get the Sky app to work on either firestick or android box.... Saying that i didn't spend hours fiddling around. Installed and it wouldn't run on either. Bit of a shame..
Regards

Bob

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:20 pm

The sky app only works on a game consul and I believe the latest versions of Apple TV for big screens. This may change sometime in the future.
The new Apple puck will work but what is not clear is whether SkyGo can be used or if it´s necessary to sign up for the full service.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:41 pm

markwilding wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:20 pm The sky app only works on a game consul and I believe the latest versions of Apple TV for big screens. This may change sometime in the future.
The new Apple puck will work but what is not clear is whether SkyGo can be used or if it´s necessary to sign up for the full service.
Works fine on my tablet. But wont let me mirror it to TV. Dunno about any of this apple stuff. Ipods are as far as i go applewise :-)
Regards

Bob

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:43 pm

CH4 live channels work OK on my Firestick, as does the Sky News app.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:50 pm

The Sky news app works on everything. For 15 pounds per month it's possible to subscribe to SkyGo but this is limited to phones and tablets. SkyGo is also an addon to those who have a dish and this version has more options including the possibility to watch on a big screen without the need of a connected laptop.

I have written about this before, It might well be that you have a relative that subscribes to Sky but doesn't use SkyGo. In this case, you could ask them to allow you to use it to watch all the Sky channels as well as most of the rest including ITV and Channel 4 etc and catchup through a games consul or Apple TV.

I use my brother's account and send him some bottles of wine around Christmas time as a thankyou.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:55 pm

How do you manage to get SkyGo via AppleTv? There is an app but it doesn’t seem to work. I connect my MacBook to the TV and that’s OK. AirPlay doesn’t work either.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:17 pm

From what I can see is that an extra subscription is needed. I haven’t got an newer Apple TV so no personal experience. I was thinking about one but your last post has stopped me in my tracks. I use my son’s consul or as you my laptop. Buying the old PS3 is cheap but many might not like such a massive box under the TV
Sky seem to be stuck a little in the past with its main satellite service because more and more people want to access content online. Its model of a dish and expensive hardware goes against the grain a little. Until now I think that it’s live sport that drives it but they would have problems , if say DAZN ( a British company) managed to snatch it away. They already have the app up and running working in most countries and most people with a smart Tv or a smart Tv dongle can get it so wouldn’t require the investment that Sky has to make.
NOW is supposed to offer an alternative but with no UHD.
Most plug in boxes such as the fireTV and Sky’s own puck are really affordable so I suppose it Is only a matter of time before the main App will be made available on non Sky equipment. Other countries already have one.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:06 pm

You obviously haven't heard of Sky Stream. No dish, a free streaming box and full access to all the Sky offerings with the same subscriptions. It's difficult, but not impossible, to use outside the UK as it is linked to the subscribers IP address. There are companies offering it , but they use a special router/VPN and they are expensive. A friend recently installed one. Hopefully SatandPCGuy can shed some light on this. As for you getting an Apple TV - don't rule it out because SkyGo doesn't work, it's by far and a3ay the best streaming box you can get.

Sid

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:54 pm

A friend in the uk installed sky glass app on my fire stick. Don’t know how it works ( probably best not to ask) but it is astonishing.

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:51 am

olive wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:54 pm A friend in the uk installed sky glass app on my fire stick. Don’t know how it works ( probably best not to ask) but it is astonishing.
If it is the "Sky Glass" app that many use on their firestick I think you will find the "sky glass" app you have on your firestick, is nothing to do with Sky. It is an IPTV provider app that has had the UI modified to look like the Sky Glass UI.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:06 am

El Cid wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:06 pm You obviously haven't heard of Sky Stream. No dish, a free streaming box and full access to all the Sky offerings with the same subscriptions. It's difficult, but not impossible, to use outside the UK as it is linked to the subscribers IP address. There are companies offering it , but they use a special router/VPN and they are expensive. A friend recently installed one. Hopefully SatandPCGuy can shed some light on this. As for you getting an Apple TV - don't rule it out because SkyGo doesn't work, it's by far and a3ay the best streaming box you can get.

Sid
Yes.
Like many official UKTV apps / services, you need to run the SkyStream via a VPN / SMartDNS service. And even then they are very good at blocking it. Also, you pay a premium price for the boxes, as they are owned by Sky, if you stop using it you need to send the box back or get charged for it, part of your subscription is the "rent" of the box, they will only be delivered to UK addresses - obviously ways around this, but you will not find them on ebay or Amazon as they are owned by Sky and not for resale.

UK TV satellite services are here until at least 2028, as that the start of the expected end of life for the three uk tv satellites (although that EOL can be extended) , and is also the end of contracts all the UK broadcasters have signed up with distribution deals with Astra for their satellites. I can see that the current three satellites be replaced by just two, with the decline in SD channels, move from SD to HD, and fewer +1 services being needed as they move online. There is no way satellite TV will simply be switched off in 5 years time, as the UK internet infrastructure is simply not ready to do this. Many have UHD TVs, but most broadcasters are only just doing HD as standard, and satellite is currently by far the best way to send all the UHD data to as many people as possible
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:22 pm

CH4 Live has stopped on my Firestick today, catchup fine.......... Live works fine on Laptop and iPad any ideas..........

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:16 pm

Sorted............... :wink: