Edge browser problem

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
jonbar.1
Resident

Edge browser problem

Postby jonbar.1 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:40 am

Just recently ( last couple of weeks).Edge browser has become very slow to close.
After hitting the red square at top-right, it takes up to 10 seconds to close!
( no probs with Chrome or Firefox).
According to Google; clearing cookies is an option.Since this will necessitate my signing-in again each time I use my websites I'd rather not do it.
Any suggestions please?
Cheers JB

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Edge browser problem

Postby Enrique » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:31 am

Hi jonbar.1,
Check your recent Windows updates..........have you had any just before your issue with Edge.......... :?:

Check your version of Edge..... then you can use Google search to get more specific answers.............. :idea:

use Ctrl + Shift + Del keys and see the amount of space Edge is using, | All Time | ...........there are Selective check Boxes
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:48 am

Thanks Enirique.
re your first suggestion: no updates just prior to problem
Re your second suggestion: tried to google search using info of current version.No help at all
Re you third suggestion: I regularly delete search history & cached images ( "all time").
I don't want to delete "cookies" for the reason I explained
.......however; I have decided to close the window by using "Ctrl+F4"....it's instantanious ( or simply use Chrome) :thumbup:
Thanks again for trying, as always , Enrique.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:36 pm

I think it's good idea to regularly clean out your cookies but shouldn't pose a problem if you save your passwords in edge.
To turn password saving on or off in Edge
Select Settings and more > Settings .
Select Profiles > Passwords
Turn on or off offer to save passwords.
Then the first time you log on after a cookie clear out, it will autofill. However, It's not a good idea to save passwords in anything to do with money such as Amazon or banks, those should definitely be memorized.

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:07 am

Cheers Mark.
I agree with your suggestion of regular cookie-clearing.I was actually trying to avoid having to sign-on every time I visit sites like Amazon,Radio Times, etc.( pure laziness :roll: )
I will try it though,to see if it corrects the "Slow-closing" of the browser :thumbup:

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:39 am

Update: I have cleared all the cookies.Sadly I still have the problem of the browser taking 5-6 seconds to close ( using the "X" in top corner).
Oddly with a couple of websites, the browser closes instantly..for example "andalucia.com" !

I shall either: use "ctrl+f4" or use Chrome I think.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:43 am

Why do you need to close it? Just keep it running in the background. There is really no reason to have to close it and then keep opening it again.

Sid

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:23 am

Hi Sid.Thankyou
I'm sure you're right but,sadly, I'm one of those ( non-tech) people who likes to tidy-up when I finish a job :roll: )When I've finished with,say,"Amazon" or "andalucia com" I close them until next time.
I don't like stuff running in the background,or lots of browser tabs open etc.
I am also keen( if only out of curiosity)to sort out the problem rather than side-step it.
At the end of the day I still have "ctrl+f4" and Chrome at my disposal. :)
PS: Strangely,with a couple of sites ( inc. this forum!) the Edge browser closes instantly when I hit the "X".
Weird eh?