Weebly

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Weebly

Postby Lavanda » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:36 am

Weebly (a pretty nifty website builder) has been bought up by Square and Square are no longer supporting Weebly because they want people to use their own website builder (which is not as good). After 2025 it looks like Weebly will be gone.

17 years ago, I started a small website with Apple's iweb but a few years later, Apple stopped supporting iweb, replaced it with nothing and users were left to find something else and start again. I moved to ipage (nothing to do with Apple) and chose Weebly. My website has grown to more than 100 pages, has no adverts or pop-up or annoying things and now gets nearly 50,000 visitors a year. It's a kind of hobby of mine, a bit like Gordon's Museum, and a lot of work has gone into it but it seems worthwhile to me and my website users.

My question is this: it seems I have a year to find a new website builder and slowly move everything over, editing and redesigning as I go. Huge task and one I never thought I would be doing again but here I am.

Who should I chose? Can anyone make a recommendation, please? How can I ensure they will not disappear in a few years? I need something that takes photos, maps and text. I do not understand html language so it needs to be a simple builder.

Thanks in advance.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Weebly

Postby Enrique » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:12 pm

Hi Lavanda,

I passed this to Mrs E ..............her expertise/interest

WordPress is a way to go.

You many need to start now and get a Migration plan sorted as Posts on the Web indicate its not a walk in the park .

I remember you Posting 10 years ago on a similar theme ..........so you have had a good run :D

Some links that may be of interest..............

https://www.reddit.com/r/Weebly/comment ... _platform/

https://fitsmallbusiness.com/weebly-alternatives/
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:51 pm

Thank you, Enrique. Ten years? Wow! They have flown past.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:41 pm

I have checked with ipage, my hosting people, and they do WordPress and actually recommend it for new customers. I think the best thing for me would be to devote the long, hot Summer to me being inside with a fan and my AppleMac and to start again with ipage and WordPress, copy and paste and edit as I go along and when I am ready, launch the new site and then discontinue the old. What a palaver but IT is not for the faint-hearted!!!

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:59 am

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:15 pm

Thank you satandpcguy. That's very useful indeed.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:40 pm

Hi Lavanda,

I take it you backup your site regularly :?: ........... you will need a current backup when you start your Migration.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:14 pm

Yes. I do back it up. Although I can see I can do a Migration I will opt for the cut and paste method as I go along. I know it will take ages but it is something I understand and feel confident in how to control it.