Smart DNS Proxy

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Smart DNS Proxy

Postby olive » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:34 pm

West/ left.

It is part of our plan to move out of the campo ( which we love) to civilisation, noise, handy shops, public transport etc.We decant every year for five weeks to avoid the pollen season. Much as we love Andalucia we think the north makes sense. So we will use part of the time to suss out prices, public transport , locations.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:12 am

I am digressing somewhat but that's interesting olive. Trouble is, is that it is so cold up north in the winter. We lived the other side of the Pyrenees for a few years and it was bitter in the winter with tropical heat in the summer. We are still thinking about where we may end up and we're still considering the Canaries.

Back to the DNS, I had a look at how to set it up in the Firestick and it meant signing out and then back into my wifi to reset the IP addresses. If I do that here, will it still work at a holiday home once I have updated my IP address on the Smartproxydns website? We plan to be away for a couple of months so would like the option of taking our Firestick with us.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:41 am

I don’t think it will be a problem. Setting the DNS on the Firestick is over complicated. The only reason you sign out etc is to get to the bit where you can change the DNS.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:10 pm

Wicksey wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:12 am I am digressing somewhat but that's interesting olive. Trouble is, is that it is so cold up north in the winter. We lived the other side of the Pyrenees for a few years and it was bitter in the winter with tropical heat in the summer. We are still thinking about where we may end up and we're still considering the Canaries.

Back to the DNS, I had a look at how to set it up in the Firestick and it meant signing out and then back into my wifi to reset the IP addresses. If I do that here, will it still work at a holiday home once I have updated my IP address on the Smartproxydns website? We plan to be away for a couple of months so would like the option of taking our Firestick with us.
Again diverging, It is freezing in many places in Spain inland but I live right on the North coast and we get very mild winters albeit with quite a lot of rain. Summers can be hot but it is very changeable so there can be cooler days as well.

Back on track, This is why I use unlocator's VPN, especially useful if there are various stops on the way. Having said that, It's not difficult to enter the DNS settings into the Firestick. There is no need to make any changes to the home network because as soon as you get back home and reconnect it will automatically connect to it's original settings.

You will have to enter the new password for the new network anyway so you just press advanced after inputting the network password and run through the set up. You should be able to see the router's IP address in the setup wizard.

Just remember to update the IP setting on the DNS webpage every time you change network.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:56 pm

Thanks all. After 'forgetting' my internet connection and then trying to reconnect, the bit I didn't understand (and where I gave up) is:
"Enter the first three groups of numbers exactly the same as the IP address of your router. As an example, if your router IP is 192.168.0.1, then use the IP address 192.168.0.70."
According to the Firestick installation wizard my IP address starts 192.168.1., so do I put that in with 70 on the end?

I can see now that if I do this whilst away from home, I will have the password for the router access and the Firestick should show the IP address there.