Wanadoo A D S L

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
festival
Andalucia.com Amigo

Wanadoo A D S L

Postby festival » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:58 am

Over the past few weeks Wanadoo like others have increased their speed 512 kbps - 1 Mb since this has happened Im forever becoming unplugged is there anybody else suffering from the same problem? or could advise!

cliff
Tourist

Postby cliff » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:24 am

No problems here. Are you running with a USB modem or a router? If the former, buy the latter and see if your problems go away. Come back if you need more advice.

Rockitt

Postby Rockitt » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:07 pm

I had the same problem with the Sagem USB modem that Wanadoo package with the service. Always disconnecting even before they upgraded the U/L & D/L speeds.

Bought a Router, problem solved.

There are known issues with the USB modem, but Wanadoo were far from helpful with suggesting an alternative.

Wanadoo offer another package with a router, I bought this from FNAC in La Cañada for about €50ish, use the same settings (Username, password etc), easy to install and much better as it is connected over LAN rather than the USB.

spainwriter

Same here...

Postby spainwriter » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:13 pm

Been having the exact same problems. The only solution anybody seems to have is to buy a router. It just peeves me a bit, having to buy something extra just because Wanadoo seem incapable of providing the service I'm actually paying for.

At the moment, though, all that seems to work is trying over and over again. Sometimes I get a connection that stays on, and then I don't disconnect again until I have to (when I take my portable on the road).

Plus, if I hear that Wallflowers song one more time I'm gonna have to hurt someone...

cliff
Tourist

Postby cliff » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:10 pm

I doubt that this is really a Wanadoo issue. USB modems rely on software running in Windows to work, and the software is notoriously bad and prone to lock-ups. I guess as the speed has gone up, the software just can't hack it fast enough and dies. The slower the pc the more likely a problem. Get that router.

pathfinder spain
Tourist

Postby pathfinder spain » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:01 pm

My partner works for wanadoo and due to the upgrade of speed they have had various incidencias masivas due to the dns servers going down frequently. You will find the helpline to be quite unhelpful as they are run by a call-centre called qualytel based in Jerez, Cadiz.

Qualytel are payed per phone call not by minute so the supervisors are constantly shouting at the operators to cut the call after 7 mins even though they are never supposed to hang up on a customer...they will try anything to try and cut the call because otherwise they get sacked.

The operators work under extreme pressure, on temporary contracts for peanuts so please have some Patience with them....they have nothing to do with wanadoo and there is very little they can do.

I personally changed from wanadoo to telefonica over a year ago after many problems and since have had no problems at all.

One trick I learnt recently was to call telefonica and tell them that you want your adsl to be cut, of course they will ask you why. Tell them that another company has offered the same service but with free national calls to landlines for the rest of your life. They will offer you the same. Also if you have a mobile connection with say vodafone and you tell them you have been offered 300 free messages for 3 months, a 30 per cent discount for 6 months and a new phone of your choice they will offer you the same....good luck
danny