BBC ITV Free sat

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
jane grant

BBC ITV Free sat

Postby jane grant » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:28 am

I've just read on another forum that the new BBC ITV free sat set up (when it comes into being) will only work if it is connected to a UK land line, or you will have to buy an expensive box. Does this mean that we will have to buy a new box when the change occurs, or will our existing box be able to recieve the signal?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:46 pm

There is a huge thread about this on a technical forum which can be found here

I haven't read all of it but I have seen no mention of having to be connected to a telephone line to be able to receive these channels.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:13 pm

Thinking about this logically, the idea is that BBC and ITV will be available free to air on ANY digital satellite receiver which generally do not even have a modem fitted so connecting it to the telephone line would be impossible.

If someone is suggesting this on another forum I would guess that they are either scaremongering or looking for a way to make some money.

Even if these services are transmitted in such a way that they cannot be received on a Sky digibox, free to air satellite receivers are far cheaper and of much better quality.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:18 am

The Free to View service is something entirely different and is already available.

The BBC/ITV venture, if it comes to fruition, will have nothing whatsoever to do with Sky and it appears that the viewer will only need a satellite receiver (not necessarily a Sky digibox) and a dish.

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:00 pm

Having purchased a Freesat card from Sky about 6 weeks ago, I plugged it into my receiver here in La Cala about a week ago, and it works fine. It is not connected to a telephone. That bit only applies if you get a discounted receiver from Sky as I understand it.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:21 pm

Yes, Alan, that's right but the BBC/ITV Freesat service that Jane is referring to is something different and hasn't yet started.

The idea is that you will not need a card or a Sky digibox just any make of free to air satellite receiver.