Cheap phonecalls to UK and rest of the world?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Muwati

Cheap phonecalls to UK and rest of the world?

Postby Muwati » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:49 am

Does anybody have any information regarding using their normal phone line at home to make cheap phone calls to the UK and the rest of the world? Very similar to using Telediscount in the UK and others?

Info much appreciated.

Thanks

cliff
Tourist

Postby cliff » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:30 am

Before we started using Skype we used to use 902 902 952 to ring the UK. Maybe not as cheap as some phone cards, but very convenient. Search for Dial Abroad Spain for more info.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:39 am

Many use Direct Telecom who advertise on this site somewhere.

poshtotti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby poshtotti » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:13 pm

We recently looked at Direct Telecom, but the phone cards & Skype work out more cost effective, there is no monthly fee for either. :D I've been using the Euro card from Number one, €10 buys 450 minutes or so & my other half never complains about the phone bill! :roll:

FIFI
Tourist

Postby FIFI » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:26 am

Does anyone know if the cards can only be used with Telefonica lines or can you use them with Iberbanda?

jazper
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jazper » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:23 am

Try voipbuster, it is free to dial PC to european landline.

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:23 pm

Spantel contacted me today offering UK and all international calls anytime for 3 cents a minute.
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

LaDuquesa

Re: Cheap phonecalls to UK and rest of the world?

Postby LaDuquesa » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:02 pm

We used to use 902 902 952 but noticed that there is a new access number 901 667 817 which is half the price - see http://www.dialabroad.co.uk/spain/instant/

Chris

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re:

Postby markwilding » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:21 pm

jazper wrote:Try voipbuster, it is free to dial PC to european landline.
it isn't free from Spain to the UK

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:40 am

VOIPCheap does it for me!
Pros.
All examples Spain to UK.
Load with 10€ credit & the following rates apply for 90 days after load, even if you don't use the credit. You don't lose the credit it just stays there. Load again for another 90 days free & so-on.
Computer to computer - free.
Computer to 'phone - free
Phone to phone - prefix dialled - free
@Phone to 'phone, initiating call from PC (your 'phone rings: answer it and that generates the call to your callee) - 0.05€ call set up fee.
Cons.
No video call facility, but you have Skype for that!

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:28 pm

I agree with "pigs" voipcheap works well.We dont have a land line but use a vodaphone mobile set to "talk for 90 pay for 1 minute"for calls to spanish landlines & vodaphone mobiles.I call a number in Madrid &then enter the number required .The cost for connection is 1c/min to UK landlines (if out of free calls) & 8.5c/min to UK mobiles.It's a great system!

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:31 pm

I'll second the recommendation for Voipcheap. We don't have landline, only mobile, so we only pay for call to a local Spanish number, then, as Pigs might fly says, the rest is free. It's 10 cents per minute to a Spanish mobile also, so if you're using a mobile and want to ring another network, it's often cheaper to do it through Voipcheap
AlisonB

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:15 pm

But if you have to load €10 credit every ninety days to get free calls and you only make free calls what do you do with the credit? That's why I gave it up and went over to the system of dialling a Madrid number and that part of it is free because I have ADSL Duo.
Let's go Brandon!

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:01 pm

You write off the 10€ over three months at 3.333€ per month cost of calling!
I have tried the prefix dialling and it works just fine, but while I can store the prefix in my 'phone's memory I cannot simply add on my recipients number and do the dialling all in one.
One has to wait for the prefix number to answer, listen to the recorded message and then manually input the number you wish to call. My 'phone will not dial another stored number while I have the line open to the prefix number. As a consequence of my advancing years and failing memory, I just can't remember a full UK number for input, so I have to refer to our tatty old address book!
So it's easier just to use the 'phone to 'phone method and pay the five cents.

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:16 am

Hola

I have been using voipcheap for a number of years, since 2006 ..having just looked it up., At the moment still have 10.15 euros credit and 280 free days left to go. As sometimes I use the 10 euros credit within month and other times do not use any for 5-6 months. The time accumulates if you use the credit in less than a three month period . So when the OH is away on a job where internet access isn't avaiable I use more than 10 euros in say 1 month then the 2 months of "free time" not used is rolled over. I think only once in 4 years have i had to buy credit because of this timing. Now I have not really used it since the last long job finished in June. To me it is worth it to have it available to use as needed , at the moment we are in Spain and use it to call the uk and Canadian landlines free but as OH will be on another a job soon I shall probably be using up some of my credits. Must say I also have credits in my Skype account as at times that works better depending on countries involved as each system has a different list of "free countries". Skype does seem to me to be more vulnerable to the internet speed causing problems with skype to phone than voip does. It all depends on amount of usage, wether it is economically viable for each persons different needs. In any case both systems work better than the days when I was paying 400-500 a month in long distance fees to the telephone company.

Fred