E mailing help please.

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Busymum
Resident

E mailing help please.

Postby Busymum » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:11 pm

Wonder if anyone can help.

I have Telefonica broadband and keep trying to email friends in the UK but the message keeps 'bouncing' back. It is just one particular domain I have problems with, don't know if I should name it here as it is a school domain address. I email other people in UK with different accounts with no problems.
Any ideas?
Is it something to do with Telefonica?
Is it me here in Spain with the problem or is it a problem at the UK end? It is an independent school and they do have overseas pupils and I know they do receive emails from other parts of the world so I can't understand, however I am not too technically minded so I might be missing something that is fairly simple to correct!
All help gratefully received!
Steph

Grehan
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Grehan » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:44 pm

1) The first and most obvious thing to check is that you've actually typed in the correct address - typos are very easy. The next connected thing to check is that the email address actually exists, that you've got it exactly right and that it hasn't changed or closed down.
'wrong' addresses are the usual cause of this problem
2) It may be that the ISP you're sending from has a 'bad name' with the school's ISP you're sending to. There was a thread about this a little while ago. AOL rejects all sorts of ISP addresses sending in mail. G*wd knows why, that's just AOL for you.
3) It is almost certainly 99.99% nothing to do with Telefonica and nothing to do with emailing UK from Spain.

[ISP = internet service provider - the firm or system that handles emails, hosts websites, etc etc]

Kitesurfer.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kitesurfer. » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:58 pm

A lot of ISPs such as AOL and Freeserve (yuk yuk yuk) don't allow tranfer of data from cirtain fields of the internet. You need to contact your friends and have them in their address book. If that doesn't work, then it's telefonica.

ISPs such as these have very tight security in fear of hacking attacks, and viruses. Imagine the amount of mail these huge and crap ISP servers store for the millions of customers? It only takes 1 wrong email and they're online webmail services could be screwed.

Let this be an example to us all that the biggest is not always the best!

Zen Internet is the best UK internet service provider in the UK bar NONE. Expensive, but it's uncompromised pipeline.

Whats Spains best?
When running out of fuel altitude and speed....never run out of ideas...
---------------------

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:32 pm

I set up with Terra (part of Telefonica) when I came here, and anything sent to AOL bounced back, which is an AOL issue.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:08 pm

This is the thread that Grehan referred to which was started by Alan:

http://andaluciaprojects.com/phpBB2/vie ... php?t=6147

Nicks
Andalucia.com Amigo

E mailing help please.

Postby Nicks » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:29 pm

Hi Busymum.
You may want to to check your keyboard setup.
Make sure your keyboard is English and not getting weird translation on the spanish ISP.
you could also try to change your keyboard to spanish setup and see where the differences are.

Busymum
Resident

Postby Busymum » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:25 pm

Very many thanks for all replies! There are a few things there I can try to hopefully sort the problem out and stay in touch with my friends.
Again very many thanks!

Steph

k
Andalucia.com Amigo

Alan-LaCala - AOL issue

Postby k » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:23 am

Alan

I replied, maybe belatedly, to your problem with AOl, did you see it and try the possible solution ?

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:58 am

did you see it and try the possible solution ?
I certainly did, and thanks.

But, no I did not try it as I contacted BT Yahoo and have reopened my acount with them (£1.50 per month(, so kept the same e-mail address.

I will ask my daughter to do it though, and post if it works.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:58 am

it is a school domain address
Is this just since you came to Spain? I suppose it sounds obvious, but the school I used to work at blocked all emails from abroad unless a particular teacher wanted a country allowed e.g. for penpals. A lot of cranks out there who search for school domains and then get access to kids as each child would normally just be given his initials in front of the domain name so very easy to find.

Busymum
Resident

Postby Busymum » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:01 pm

Hi Lis48, thanks for suggestion, but the problem has just been since I have been trying to make contact from Spain.

The school also have a website and the enquiries page has a conatct form to fill in for information, we have checked and even if I use this it doesn't reach them. I have spoken to them today and they are going to get their IT expert on to it as they say someone using Tiscali has had problems contacting them too recently. It will be interesting what solution if any they come up with. I will post any solution or update when we get it as anyone using the internet for buisness etc many be missing messages they know nothing about, at least it may be helpful to know who blocks who in the world of cyberspace!

Thanks for all replies!
Steph

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:58 am

Tried to send again from terra.es to AOL, making sure I was in my daughter's address book.

Still bounced back.

Alan

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:39 am

Alan, have you tried sending an email from a Yahoo or Hotmail address.

It would be interesting to know if the AOL rejections are because it recognises the fact that you are using Terra as an ISP or just because Terra or Telefónica form part of your email address.

Busymum
Resident

Postby Busymum » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:42 pm

Hi Beachcomber!

Not wanting to butt in on this, however I am getting a little further in my investigations (with the help of Microsoft I have to admit!) but the recipient (or non recipient as it is at the moment) of my e-mails does indeed recognize that I am using Terra as an ISP! It doesn't matter which email address I use. Its all very interesting I have to say! In between this and learning Spanish my brain is bursting!

Steph

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:55 pm

Thanks for your reply busymum (glad you could find the time :D) The reason I asked is because although I have some Telefónica email addresses I use another service for my main email address but this goes out through my Telefonica ISP.

However, I can send emails to AOL addresses with no problem but I suspect that may be because I have a router which disguises their source.

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:49 pm

Alan, have you tried sending an email from a Yahoo or Hotmail address.
No. I just use my BT openworld account, which I never knew would work in Spain, but does very well.

Alan

Busymum
Resident

Postby Busymum » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:04 pm

Hi Beachcomber!

Oh yes that's me busy,busy,busy! :wink: You'd be amazed how much you can fit into a day when you learn the art of multi-tasking .... now if only I could teach my hubby that skill and I'd be laughing!!

Perhaps a router might sort out my problem then if all else fails, a chance you think?

Steph

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:56 pm

Busymum wrote:... now if only I could teach my hubby that skill and I'd be laughing!!
You're not my wife, are you? No, she may be able to multitask but she can't work the computer. :lol:

A router may help but I can't guarantee it. It does, however, act as an effective firewall and is an extra line of defence against trojans and spyware etc.

cliff
Tourist

Postby cliff » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:35 pm

I suggest running your own SMTP mail server on your PC. That way all outgoing mail bypasses your ISP. Here is a free one which I setup for somebody which works okay. Don't forget to start it before you start Outlook or whatever email client you are using.

http://www.softstack.com/freesmtp.html

I had the same problems with Wanadoo (Spain) and use the mail server on my company web site for all outgoing mail.