Mobile phone sim-cards

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
jantaz
Tourist

Mobile phone sim-cards

Postby jantaz » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:12 pm

I am moving to Spain early 2006 is it better to get a new sim card for my mobile phone before I go( for example the ones offered on the 0044 wesite) or is it better to get one when I come out to live in Spain? I will need to keep in touch with people in UK.

sunnyside
Tourist

Postby sunnyside » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:34 pm

I bought an Amena sim card from ebay. It cost £10 and had a credit
of 18 euros - works fine. We just top it up at the local garage.

foremarion
Andalucia.com Amigo

buy here

Postby foremarion » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:56 am

Sim cards are very easy to get out here - vodafone, movistar, amena, they are all reasonably priced and come with good credit. Can phone UK with them - obviously prices vary. Make sure your UK phone is unblocked then you can interchange your spanish/english sim card without needing 2 phones. :P

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:52 pm

If you will have the necessary documentation to enable you to do so you would be better off with a proper contract with Vodafone España. Calls are much cheaper and you can keep a better check of the calls you have made.

Plan Vitamina, for example, allows you to talk to another Vodafone or Spanish landline for up to an hour for the cost of one minute.

poshtotti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby poshtotti » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:43 pm

I was told my the Movistar team in El Corte Ingles that I couldn't go on contract because I wasn't resident! :shock: Has anyone else been told this?

I bought my 1st sim card from 0044 so I could give my new numbers & address to everyone before I left the UK, great service & worth doing so in my experience.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:49 pm

I have several non-resident friends who have Vodafone contracts but you have to produce your escritura or long term rental contract, NIE sheet (the one from the police showing your NIE number) and statements from your bank or your 'libreta'.

I think requirements probably vary but they want to be sure that you are not going to run up a huge bill in the first month then quietly disappear.

ian.wilson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ian.wilson » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:14 am

I asked Movistar for a contract and they wanted either Residencia or a Bank Statement with a Certificado de Banco so I said forget it. Two months later they phoned me offering me an upgrade to contract and didn`t require any paperwork.
Oh Yes! another day in paradise!

Nige
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nige » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:01 am

On the question of Mobile Networks, I was under the impression that the reception coverage does and can vary in Andalucia. Am I correct in thinking that MOVISTAR has the best coverage in Andalucia generally? Followed by VODAPHOnE and Amena are poor 3rds? Or has the coverage improved in recent times?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:26 pm

There is very poor Movistar coverage where I live but Vodafone has a strong signal. The converse is probably true in other areas.

Amena has a terrible reputation for both coverage and customer service.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Re: Mobile phone sim-cards

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:05 pm

jantaz wrote:I am moving to Spain early 2006 is it better to get a new sim card for my mobile phone before I go( for example the ones offered on the 0044 wesite) or is it better to get one when I come out to live in Spain? I will need to keep in touch with people in UK.

how much are they from the 0044 website ?

prices here are :

amena 12€ with 15€ credit
movistar 18€ with 18€
vodaphone - no idea.

(these were the prices in fuengerola boot sale, from the stall of a phone shop, for a sealed sim card.)
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

AguilaMike
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AguilaMike » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:19 am

I bought a Vodafone one from a Vodafone shop in Arroyo last week. It cost 24 euros with 18 euros call credit on it. I get a further 6 euros call credit if I post the voucher in the pack.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:33 am

i´m just waiting for movistar to offer free calls and more importantly for me, free texts on their pay as you go network. i´m sure that you all know telefonica were bought out by 02...

we´ll see if it makes any difference :)
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

dangerman
Tourist

Postby dangerman » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:26 pm

i´m sure that you all know telefonica were bought out by 02...
Er, t'other way around, me thinks!!!

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:29 am

Beachcomber wrote
Amena has a terrible reputation for both coverage and customer service
Not in my experience, in fact quite the opposite, their coverage here in Alora is excellent and their customer service is pretty good, not least in having people who speak excellent English - a bonus for those who,like me have a very basic ability to speak Spanish! :oops: