2ndhand Landrovers?

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
ex patriot 66
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ex patriot 66 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:19 pm

Land rovers out perform all the rest off road , but on it forget it ,if sentimental value counts for anything land rover has bucket loads compared to the rest

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:00 pm

detourer wrote:
Faire d'Income wrote:It still begs the question as to why, if they're so unreliable, nearly 75% of all Land Rovers manufactured are still on the road today?

They can't be that bad.
This is another one of the Great Land Rover porkies/myth......and one we would laugh at when I worked for them. Think about it......look at the number made since 1947.....nearly every 4x4 vehicle on the road would be a Land Rover. Granted there are some [quite a few] very old ones still running around, but not 75%........ :shock:
Detourer - we're talking about total Land Rover products not just Landies. Not sure what point you're making about all 4x4s being Land Rover products but certainly in the UK its rare to see that many older Japanese equivalents still on the road after, say, fifteen years. Shoguns certainly, Hiluxes if you're counting them but Landcruisers et al - nah, rarely see anything lasting longer than ten years.

I can see how the products have got a reputation for unreliability - early/mid model Discos and Freelanders and P38s with porous blocks etc but most of the Land Rover models, RRCs are generally alright but then you never hear about the vehicles that don't break down.

Don't get me wrong, they're not paragons of virtue in the reliability stakes but in my opinion its exaggerated. Put it this way, out of five cars (two German, one Japanese - all less than a year old) only the RRC is working as it should and that's 19 years old and the Landy would work perfectly if it wasn't for the SORN preventing this. Makes you wonder whether progress is actually being made or not.

:twisted:

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:46 pm

Well, seeing as how I started this thread, I thought you might like to know that I am now the proud owner of a Landrover (I'm not gonna tell you what kind cos all you Landie purists will probably spit with contempt) but it came with (don't all transactions in Spain?) a bag of fresh farm eggs and green peppers...and am everso slightly inebriated...

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:49 pm

how much did you get it for in the end ?

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:00 pm

2500€

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:04 pm

:shock: thought you wanted cheap !!!

didn't you see the reply i put on here about a 4.0L cherokee for €1000 ??

i suppose people ideas of what is cheap change when u make more money, its all relative i guess :lol:

well done, got a pic?

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:15 pm

That IS cheap compared to most, no all, of what I have seen previously! Yes, I saw your post re the 4.0l Cherokee, but not what I was really after, but thanks!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:00 pm

fair enough, well done for finding a bargin :D:D:D (they are RARE in spain nowdays!!)

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:02 am

Hi Fair

The Pros and Cons, I am sure you will agree, can and will go on forever. Perhaps me saying I am not a fan of Land Rovers was a bit strong....I owe my whole way of life to them. As a youth they took me to places other could only dream or read about and then they were the workhorse that started and continued in a series of highly successful business ventures.

But I have worked with them on a professional basis only and the fact is they just became too expensive to run [repairs] and unreliable. The proof sadly is out there. I do not know of any expedition company like ourselves that would use them. Aid agencies do not use then. Military are dumping them and the solo traveler in a Land Rover is a rare sight indeed.

Yes, there are many old [very LRovers] still trundling around, but frankly why? Kept going by a fan.....You have to be nuts to go out for the day in an old Land Rover :roll: unless you are a fan :wink: Slow, leak, smoke, high fuel, noise.......and it will need work when you get back.....

BUT, there is still nothing quite like whooshing along in a full-kit top of the range Range Rover......In fact..... :wink:

PS........I have just heard that the Land Rovers shown in my earlier pic have been sold [fools :shock: ]......Over there next week to sort the Land Cruisers..........Now it is just the Unimog to move on......anyone?

Go to the grave in an attractive and well preserved body? Rather skid in sideways, women on each arm, champagne and credit card in each hand, body thoroughly used, abused, totally worn out and screaming …."WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE"

tidal
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby tidal » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:23 pm

Yes, there are many old [very LRovers] still trundling around, but frankly why? Kept going by a fan.....You have to be nuts to go out for the day in an old Land Rover unless you are a fan Slow, leak, smoke, high fuel, noise.......and it will need work when you get back.....
But that is the whole point of driving one.

I guess it depends if your only use for a vehicle is to get from A to B.

For me it is not about the destination more about how you make the journey.

Each to their own I guess :lol:

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:31 pm

Detourer. I'd keep a low profile for a few weeks now as you've clearly wound up the 'Landy Massive' and if you're not careful you'll be hunted down for such blasphemous utterings...

:mrgreen:

tidal
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby tidal » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:35 pm

Faire:
I've been trying to keep my head down since I uttered the blasphemy "Lada Niva" on a Landy thread :lol:

I actually have grown quite fond of the little Russkie :shock:

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:41 pm

Being chased by a Land Rover? I could run faster and last longer...... :lol:

But I do love the Landie Lads........They have LR cups, pens, touches, clothing, caps.......Oily workshops, lonely wives, neglected kids.......Valve sets and Gearbox bits on the kitchen table and watch LRover dvd's sitting on old LRover bucket seats...... :shock:

But they truely are a great bunch......Honestly...........

Can I come out know..........

http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t245 ... nstyle.jpg

Go to the grave in an attractive and well preserved body? Rather skid in sideways, women on each arm, champagne and credit card in each hand, body thoroughly used, abused, totally worn out and screaming …."WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE"

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:26 pm

Well today I did my first ever proper 4wd off-roading out in the campo in the "new" landie - through necessity, not choice!
I scared myself (and passenger) half to death at first, driving on a narrow camino, covered in thick mud, sheer drop on one side, areas where the camino had been partly washed away, sliding all over the place and no seat belts (only a roll bar!).
Then returned via a less scary route (no sheer drop!) and actually enjoyed throwing it at all the water, mud, ruts, potholes, boulders etc that the heavy rains have left.
What I would appreciate though, from any of you experienced off-roaders, are any tips you could give on driving off-road...(and how the hell do you get all that mud off?!)

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:22 pm

hillybilly wrote:
I ( and how the hell do you get all that mud off?!)
Kärcher pressure washer, works every time for me 8)
Ah! the full english!!

tidal
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby tidal » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:26 pm

Leave it on
It gives you campo cred 8) :lol:

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:58 pm

hillybilly wrote:Well today I did my first ever proper 4wd off-roading out in the campo in the "new" landie - through necessity, not choice!
I scared myself (and passenger) half to death at first, driving on a narrow camino, covered in thick mud, sheer drop on one side, areas where the camino had been partly washed away, sliding all over the place and no seat belts (only a roll bar!).
Then returned via a less scary route (no sheer drop!) and actually enjoyed throwing it at all the water, mud, ruts, potholes, boulders etc that the heavy rains have left.
What I would appreciate though, from any of you experienced off-roaders, are any tips you could give on driving off-road...(and how the hell do you get all that mud off?!)
If you can find an off road driving course this would help enormously as lot of off road techniques are counter intuitive.

For instance, if you're driving down a narrow track with a steep drop on one side in thick mud or slippery conditions and you're faced with a sharp turn then you're natural reaction is to brake. WRONG! Worst thing you can do as this breaks traction when what you should be doing is the opposite by applying more power giving you traction for the upcoming turn.

When confronted by a bump in the road such as a sleeping policeman, most people cross the bump head on. Again, incorrect - the best way is to approach the obstacle or ditch at an agle so that if the vehicle loses contact with the surface you're likely to always have two wheel touching the ground without grounding out.

Loads more tips but they need practice.

Detourer probably has plenty more tips but they involved driving round sand pits which is where the lightweights go 'cos they can't hack the mud.

:mrgreen:

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:58 pm

OK, tyres. The Land Rover has normal road tyres which, in the mud (where it gets most use) get caked in mud and turn into slicks. Are there special tyres that would cope better in these conditions? If so, what are they called and are they very expensive? Tarmac use of the vehicle is pretty minimal. Ta.

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:16 pm

You either want an All Terrain (AT) tyre or a Mud Terrain (MT) for off road purposes. The AT tyres are a bit of a compromise in that they work reasonably well off road but much better on road - say 30/70, whereas MTs are a much more aggressive tread pattern and work better off road than on - say 70/30.

You can get either new or re-mould tyres although I'm not sure of the availability of these in Spain. On my Landy I have Colway MTs which are a remould and on my Rangy I've got Cooper ATs although these are quite an aggressive tread pattern.

No idea of Spanish cost but in the UK you'd expect to pay between £40 - £70 per corner. May be worth getting them delivered from the UK.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:20 pm

Faire d'Income wrote:... When confronted by a bump in the road such as a sleeping policeman, most people cross the bump head on. Again, incorrect - the best way is to approach the obstacle or ditch at an agle so that if the vehicle loses contact with the surface you're likely to always have two wheel touching the ground without grounding out. ...
Or drive around them on the wrong side of the road and avoid them altogether! Image