Exporting a car

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:51 pm

I've got a Spanish reg car sat in my garage in UK, it's been there for over 6 years..It isn't going to be worth much, but was working perfectly when I garaged it....So what can I do with it, scrap it, import it or take it back to to Spain...Any advice gratefully received.....

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:53 pm

benidorm... what is it? how much do you want for it? might be interested in buying it off you...

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:08 pm

spanish lad,
It's a Renault Express, it's in my garage in East Yorkshire, and I expect that it would have to be transported on a trailer..I don't want anything for it ,but I would expect the 'new owner' to cover all costs and ensure that the paperwork is sorted correctly....

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:19 pm

all paperwork in order ? have the taxes for the last 6 years been paid ? you are looking at around €70 per year plus fines, so i'd put the tax owing at about €800. plus transport back to spain, £400...

its going to cost about €1400 to get it into spain and legal, plus itv, if it doesn't need anything doing to it.

6 years, has it been started / run / driven ? because the rubbers will be shot if not ...

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:48 pm

With regard to the Renault, I believe we informed the Traffico, that the vehicle was out of Spain, and off the road..
I will have to check with my Son to see if he has moved it at all.

.Last time I tried to start it the battery was flat.....

I think it will be easier to have it squashed, less hassle , probably....

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:36 pm

BENIDORM wrote:I've got a Spanish reg car sat in my garage in UK, it's been there for over 6 years..It isn't going to be worth much, but was working perfectly when I garaged it....So what can I do with it, scrap it, import it or take it back to to Spain...Any advice gratefully received.....
Sell it on eBay. That's what our daughter in the U.K. did with her six year old, LHD. Spanish plated Seat Ibiza. No UK tax or MOT, no Spanish tax or ITV, no insurance as it had been laid up for at least three years.

She got an astonishingly large amount for it, (£1400, CASH), from someone who wanted a left hooker to take to Holland.

Just beware of the scamsters offering a lot more than the winning bid to ship the car overseas with a promise of a bankers draft and no delivery required before clearance. The draft will show as cleared on your bank statement, then as it is forged or stolen your friendly bank will debit your account for the money!

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:25 pm

Benidorm, as a matter of interest, where are you in East Yorks, I live in Huntington, just outside the City of York!
Ah! the full english!!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:37 pm

I agree with p-m-f. We had an old stand-alone garage with asbestos panels to replace with a new one, stood next to the house instead of in the back garden. The new garage suppliers wanted all sorts of silly money - "hazardous materials".."disposal fee".." transport" etc.
Put an ad on EBay - "best bid secures, you dismantle and take it away" with photos. There was spirited bidding, and the 2 guys who bought it turned up in Leeds in a van that they had collected (another EBay purchase!) en route, took it apart and trundled off to Birmingham with it, leaving me with a wedge big enough to buy an electric remote up-and-over door mechanism.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:47 pm

Thanks spanish_lad for your info...very helpful....

And Thanks to everyone else, for your ideas, I've got time to ponder what to do while I'm on my travels.....

Retro..P..,
I have a small place in Hornsea, I was 'involved' with Hornsea Pottery, sadly it's closed down now.....One of my sons lives in York, another in Scarborough, where we lived for a long time.....I've also lived in Whitby, Bridlington and numerous other places in Uk and the USA, and several places in Spain....Never could settle down ! :oops: