Paperwork needed when buying 2nd hand motorhome for cash?

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Paperwork needed when buying 2nd hand motorhome for cash?

Postby karandjon » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:20 pm

Can anyone tell me what Paperwork I should expect to be given to me when buying a 2nd hand Spanish plated motorhome for cash?

Do I need to transfer to my name or does the previous owner do that?

I have tried searching on here, but cannot seem to find an answer.

many thanks

karen
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

julian
Andalucia Guru

papers

Postby julian » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:23 pm

do it through a gestoria to be safe, he´ll get the neccessary paperwork from the seller

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:28 pm

ok....

you go with the seller to a gestoria.

the seller must produce (if english) NIE number (might get away with passport but i wouldn't want that, id want NIE for trace-ability), the vehicles paperwork. (if spanish) they must producce their residencia card and the paper work. if the seller is not the owner, ie a garage, the owner must be present. if the seller is a seperate person they too must produce their nie or residencia. either way they must also bring the original of the vehicle paperwork AND the original "permiso de circulation"

the owner (not the seller, the legal owner) must sign the gestorias "sales agreement".

i always write one out myself, in spanish and english, stating the price, the registration, and the date. i then pay in front of the gestoria who i also ask to count the money. i then sign, and make the seller (owner) sign as well.

the gestoria will be looking all the time, and can act as a witness.

the gestoria will then ask for payment, i paid €287 on an €800 car. you HAVE to pay the transfer tax, there is no way around it. you would have to pay it if you went to trafico in malaga too. i dont know how its worked out, she looked thru a big book and found the cost, then their fee is €60.

the gestoria will then take the green slip from the seller, and give it to you, along with a piece of "tracing paper" that is actually a proper and legal stamped signed document called "permiso de circulation temporada", which allows you to drive the car provisionally until the papers come back to their office in your name.

you walk out with the green slip (the v5), the temporary circulacion permission, the "receipt" from the gestoria, and your signed "personal" contract.

the seller walks out with the "personal contract" and the cash.

4 - 6 weeks later the gestoria will call you and ask you to collect paperwork.

legally, there is no way to avoid the transfer tax, wether paying in cash or swapping for a heard of goats, it still has to be paid.

good luck :)

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:31 pm

on the transfer of a high value vehicle such as a motorhome i'd expect there to be some arrangement, ie 50/50 on the cost of the transfer.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:06 am

i sold my spanish car to an english guy and i gave him the vehicle logbook, a copy of my nie, copy of my passport and he took all this to a gestor who did the transfer without me being present. they may have had to forge my signature on a couple of things but the transfer is all done now.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:32 pm

so he paid the transfer costs etc.

all good, as long as he did.. and isn't driving it around in your name, had any parking tickets for your "old" car yet ? ;)

alot of people do this, and carry on driving the vehicle without transfering it..

stupid thing is, you CAN insure it in anyones name :(