Cost of car service (under warranty)

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
concorde
Resident

Cost of car service (under warranty)

Postby concorde » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:19 pm

I am curious to know how the price of car servicing in Spain compares to the U.K.

I have had to have our car serviced at a garage as it's still under warranty.

As far as I'm concerned it iwas a complete rip off. Charged for oil change at £7.50p a litre! Plus the fact it was physically impossible to put that much oil in according to our manual. charged for windscreen top up when we filled it yesterday. Charged nearly 2 hrs labour when it must have taken all of 30 mins.

We did query the oil amount and the garage said if we were passing he would give us 1/2ltre of oil back!
I know where I would like to put that oil , plus his oil can!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I'm always disappointed when a liar's pants don't actually catch on fire.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:26 pm

Concorde, I service my own car when we're over there and was simply amazed at the price of oil at Eroski. It was very cheap compared to here in the UK......I even treated the car to Mobil one which was less than half price than here.......I even took one back to the UK with me :oops:

Ask if you may be able to supply the oil.

Good luck,
Kenny

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:41 pm

Hi Kenny,
my husband used to be a mechanic many moons ago and did all our car servicing himself, it's ironic really, early in our marriage we could only afford old bangers, now we have new cars, it costs a fortune for the first 3 official services.
The ironic thing is that the garage in question is doing a great deal at the moment on m.o.t. + service, at a lot less than just a service costs
my hubby very nearly booked that and tell them not to bother with the m.o.t. bit as the car is only 2 years old.
They used Mobil 1 oil, pretty expensive I know but considering they bulk buy it's a bit over the top to charge £7.50 a litre.

By the way, how's your area at home with all the flooding? My daughter lives in Croston and although the main street was flooded, she lives near the railway stn, and wasn't affected. Watched for her on her local T.V. station but didn't see anybody in bright pink wellies with a big placard saying 'Hello Mum'
I'm always disappointed when a liar's pants don't actually catch on fire.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:05 pm

Wow Concorde, we're about 2 miles from Croston and the low lying fields around Heskin Hall, Mawdesley etc. were like flippin' lakes. We're lucky as we're on a hill but the water running down our road was similar to the Torrents we used to get when we had the townhouse in Spain.

Know how hubby feels re. servicing...it's a bummer when you can do it yourself and probably better but you have to hand it over for service history and w'tee reasons :(

Kenny

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:02 pm

Labour costs in Spain for main dealer servicing are a fraction of UK prices.
eg. VW/Skoda dealer in Marbella, (inc IVA :@16%, approximate figures, same workshop for both makes)
Skoda: 48 euros an hour.
VW: except models below: 55 euros an hour.
VW: Toureg 93 euros an hour.
VW: Phaeton 116 euros an hour.

Prices seem to be adjusted on perceived ability to pay, according to snob value of the car!

(Being poor relations, we own a Skoda!)

I don't think there are many franchised dealers in the UK charging less than £75 GBP per hour and in London the sky's the limit.

Genuine parts here seem to cost much the same as in the UK, so are expensive by Spanish income standards.