Importing a car and motorcycle

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
pieman
Tourist

Importing a car and motorcycle

Postby pieman » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:14 pm

Hello everyone, we are moving to Jerez in April and we are bringing a 2 year old car and a 3 year old motorcycle over with us. I know we have 6 months to register the car and bike in Spain. We will be residents, so what is the best way of proceeding.
Apologies if this has been asked a thousand timse but I would like up to date info

Ta much

metalmonkey
Resident

Postby metalmonkey » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:38 am

Hi

I brought my car...was advised not to but went ahead and to be honest wished I hadn't...it's 6 years old and so far I've spent 450 euros as ITV not possible without. 250 euros new fischa technica and I've been quoted between 750 and 1,100 euros for taxes (this depends on age and size of engine) , in total as much as the car is probobly worth but I would not drive an UK car here for longer than 6 months without doing this.

I'll give you the same advice I was given, sell it in the UK and buy here

cheers

Julie
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:50 am

If you do decide to bring them, re-register them as soon as you arrive. If they come with you as part of your 'chattels' you do not pay the import tax. I know there is a time scale in which to do this, but am not sure what it is. I am sure someone else can advise concerning this - but it makes it more worthwhile if you save on the tax.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:08 am

i think it may be 30 days to be classed as chattels and only if you are going for residencia

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:15 am

Never can see the point in bringing a right hand drive vehicle here, easier to sell in UK and buy here. Bring the bike though, not a lot of good well maintained bikes here at sensible money.

€250 for a ficha technica! I was quoted €80.00 not that long ago so some one is taking the ****.

Mhic.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:13 pm

I understand that you have 3 months to declare your car as part of your goods and chattels, and start the process of rematriculating it onto Spanish plates. This will save you paying the registration tax, which can be considerable on a nearly-new car.
"Going for residencia" is not an option - as soon as you are here for 3 months you are obliged to register on the foreigners register, this has replaced the old "residencia" system, sadly.
I completely agree that it is better to sell your car in the UK, and buy a Spanish one here - you are sat on the "right" side for visibility and do not have to leap out at toll booths, petrol station paydesks, car park machines etc. Spares will be easier to obtain, garages will have all the data for servicing, and you will instantly "fit in" to the scenery!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

metalmonkey
Resident

Postby metalmonkey » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:51 pm

I found out that the car I bought in the UK was actually imported from Germany with adaptations, hence the high price for the Fischa Tecnica
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:10 pm

Just been reading about change of rules again. Apparently from 1st January 2008 the import duty on your own imported car is waived if you 'matriculate' within 60 days of getting your 'padron'. The new 'tax' is called a CO2 emissions tax and the levy can be low or zero but rise substantially for the high guzzlers. Has anyone heard about this revised system and does it apply in Andalucia ?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:09 am

according to el cid, it does.

i dont wanna think about the 4.0L cherokee hahhaa

although 14.75% is not alot more than 12% really, when u work it out.