Date for first ITV

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
alisonb
Resident

Date for first ITV

Postby alisonb » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:55 pm

We have a 2004 car which is coming up for it's first ITV. The car is March 2004 (reg CTT) and the only date I can find on the documents is 31st March 2004, but there is a yellow ITV sticker in the windscreen (there when we bought it almost 2 years ago) showing June 2008, but no actual date. Do I play safe and have it ITVd by end of March or take the word of the sticker and go for June - and if so, do I have til the end of June?
AlisonB

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:02 pm

I would have said you have 'till the end of June but there was a 3 week wait last time I did mine (last June) so book it in earlier to make sure.
We ended up queuing up and taking our chances at 8am in the morning as we were flying home that week and touched lucky.

Kenny

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:03 pm

The dates of validity of the last test should be shown on the back of the ficha técnica. Presumably this an ex hire car. The first test is usually due exactly four years after the date of first registration.

If the vehicle is registered in your current address and you receive you mail with no problem you should get a reminder from DGT about three weeks prior to the date that the test is due which will be shown on said reminder.

I don't know which ITV centre you will use but there is a waiting list of about three weeks at Guadlahorce. The easiest way to make the appointment is on the internet.

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:23 pm

Thanks Beachcomber. Yes, it is ex hire, I thought I'd checked all the papers, but didn't look on the back of the ficha technica. It's due 21st June. We'll be using Algorrobo, but I suspect they've got quite long delays as well
AlisonB

alba
Andalucia.com Amigo

DATE FIRST ITV

Postby alba » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:31 pm

Alisonnb, changing tack, how did you manage to buy an ex hire car. I need a car soon in Spain and have tried various sights but no joy
Alba

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:09 pm

By accident! We wanted a 4x4 diesel Renault Kangoo, and found just what we wanted in a garage in Malaga. Didn't realise it was ex hire until we looked at the documents and saw the previous owners. Mind you, hopefully it does mean it's been serviced. We've been really pleased with it. No problems, and cheap to run
AlisonB

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: DATE FIRST ITV

Postby gerryh » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:12 pm

alba wrote:Alisonnb, changing tack, how did you manage to buy an ex hire car. I need a car soon in Spain and have tried various sights but no joy
Alba
Ask a hire company?
I hired a car whilst mine was being repaired. Mentioned it to the hire company and they asked did I want to buy one.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

DecorDiva
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby DecorDiva » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:49 am

If you have a look at your ITV sticker it will have the year on it plus the month it is due punched out, ie, June. As long as you take it for an ITV in June you will be alright. You now have to prebook your car in for an ITV you cannot take it along unless you have a prebooked appointment, there is a central number you have to call now to prebook. If you need this number I am sure I have it somewhere as had to get two cars done at the end of last year.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:47 am

This is not strictly correct. If the vehicle is tested, for example, on the 1st June the sticker will be punched out for June but if you are caught driving the vehicle on the 2nd June you will be committing an offence.

In other words, if you drive the vehicle after the date of expiry of the current ITV as shown on the back of the ficha técnica you are liable to be fined.

The only exception is if you are driving to an ITV centre for a pre-arranged test.

The appointment can be made by telephone on 902 575757 or by going to this web site:

http://www.itvcita.com/Welcome.do

DecorDiva
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby DecorDiva » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:20 am

Oh that is interesting as did not know this, I have to admit I left my ITV's till the end of the month as was none the wiser but glad you have told me this as when they are due again in 2009 will get them booked in earlier. Thanks for giving the number out beachcomber, I knew it off by heart in September as had to ring them a few times before I managed to book my cars in, but of course have since forgotten and would have to look it up now!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:47 am

I don't know what they call the method but I memorise the number by thinking of 'Heinz 57' x three!

It's easier, though, to do it on the web site. You can browse through the timetable at leisure and find a time and date that suits you rather than accepting one that you are given over the telephone by some impatient call centre operator.

You can also print out a confirmation of the appointment which is handy for showing to the Guardia if your are past the expiry date and get stopped on the way to the ITV centre.

DecorDiva
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby DecorDiva » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:04 pm

Great have you got the website address as I also have many friends that have cars here and need to book their ITV's from the UK so they can get them done when they are here, so very useful to know this.

Thanks Beachcomber, is there anything you don't know?! :lol:

petert74
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby petert74 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:16 pm

Do scooters and motorbikes have to do an ITV as well.

Is so is it after 4 years of age as well and then every 2 years???

When does it become annual???

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:18 pm

Decordiva, the web site address is at the bottom of my post above but here it is again:

http://www.itvcita.com/Welcome.do

To misquote Donald Rumsfeld:

There are things I know I know.
There are things I don't know I know
There are things I know I don't know
There are things I don't know I don't know
In short, to answer your question, I don't know! Image

Peter, I don't know that for sure either but here is a report on new ITV requirements for mopeds, motor cycles, quad bikes, and those stupid little 2 stroke cars which was published in 2006 so presumably they are in force now:

http://www.consumer.es/web/es/motor/200 ... 152842.php

I do know that there is a mobile testing centre for mopeds and small motor bikes so that you don't have to go all the way to a main test centre.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:38 pm

Alison: I would recommend that you avoid Algorobbo ITV station - very busy and seems to have a variable standard according to friends....one day a pass with bald tyres, the next a fail because an electric window does not work!
Best is the one inland from Rincon de la Victoria - can't remember the name of it, but you can have a lovely drive through the Montes de Málaga from Comares!
Edit: found it! It is called El Palo - find it on Google Earth.
As beachcomber says, all ITVs are strictly by appointment nowadays.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

DecorDiva
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby DecorDiva » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:24 pm

Whoops now I feel stupid as I missed that link :oops: Thank you for being patient with me!

Gosh that is a quote, but so true!

My motto is 'I will get there in the end' and of course on my gravestone will be 'I got there in the end'. Apart from the fact I have no wish to be buried but perhaps it could be etched somewhere when I depart :?

Sue C
Tourist

Postby Sue C » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:58 pm

Alba, we too bought our car through Fords and not until checking the paperwork found out it was a ex hire car.

I know when we were in England, Crown Car hire have a garage in Malaga where they sell off cars in their fleets when updating them and they emailed us a full listing what cars were on offer, prices etc etc.

May be useful if you emailed/phoned them.

Good Luck.

DecorDiva
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby DecorDiva » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:42 pm

I bought both my cars from Yellow Car and they have been fab, no problems, the car hire companies tend to sell the cars off after about 18 months, would recommend anyone buying a car to do the same.

By the way thinking about it we have a Ford Mondeo we want to sell now if anyone is interested, I just don't want a big car anymore , albeit it is very nice but I fancy a hatchback now, easier to park!