trailer question

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
mijas-lady
Resident

trailer question

Postby mijas-lady » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:23 pm

Sorry but have checked on here and cant seem to get an answer-OH has just gone to look at a trailer-lengh of a car he says :? realises it will need to get ITV but if he buys it should he be getting any papers or does it not matter? thanks

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:04 pm

As far as I know all spanish trailers should have a reg document similar to any motor vehicle bearing a 17 digit chassis number. I also believe that any trailer over 750kgs needs an ITV but am not sure when it becomes necessary or when it's renewable. I'm sure somebody will be along soon to correct me!!
" If at first you don't succeed then skydiving is not for you"

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:33 pm

I think it needs to pass an ITV every two years and you must have BE on your driving licence. It also needs to have a red registration plate as well as a registration plate the same as the towing vehicle.

There is also a formula for working out how much total weight you can tow in proportion to the weight of the towing vehicle.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:36 pm

I think it needs to pass an ITV every two years and you must have BE on your driving licence. It also needs to have a red registration plate as well as a registration plate the same as the towing vehicle.

There is also a formula for working out how much total weight you can tow in proportion to the weight of the towing vehicle. See here:

http://www.agremolques.com/respuesta.php?idp=3

mick
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mick » Thu May 22, 2008 9:11 am

Does this apply to touring caravans as well.

mick

Don

Postby Don » Thu May 22, 2008 10:18 am

Beachcomber wrote: It also needs to have a red registration plate as well as a registration plate the same as the towing vehicle.
Small trailers under 750 kgs dont have the red plate, including some small caravans. I understood that only trailers over 750 kgs were registered in their own right.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu May 22, 2008 10:41 am

Yes, correct. I was referring to Malagaman's post.