Shipping a car from UK to Spain

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Whizzbaby
Andalucia.com Amigo

Shipping a car from UK to Spain

Postby Whizzbaby » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:41 pm

I'm considering shipping a car over here and have spent ages searching the Internet for a quote. As word of mouth and personal recommendation is always valuable, please could anyone recommend a good, reliable company and how much should I be expecting to pay? Thank you

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:16 pm

I know that there is a company brings them by a low loader truck.

geo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby geo » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:43 am

if its a righthand drive uk registered car, unless it has some special meaning, or collectable, i wouldn't bother... better buy one here, and if you must bring it why not drive over??
How come there is always to much month left at the end of the money???

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:53 am

Motor movers are reliable. Based at heathrow and fuengirola. £550 door to door.

fearless nige
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby fearless nige » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:15 pm

geo wrote:if its a righthand drive uk registered car, unless it has some special meaning, or collectable, i wouldn't bother... better buy one here, and if you must bring it why not drive over??
Because they are almost twice the price here - much cheaper to import from the UK and pay any necessary taxes.

- which leads into a question I was going to ask on here. 5 years ago we imported a UK car here and paid around 1000€ to do so. Does anybody know if the law has now changed?? I am under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that now so long as a UK car has one of the new european number plates that you no longer have to properly import it is that right?? I am looking to replace an aging car with one from the UK especially if my beliefs are correct. Any advice greatly appreciated in advance.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:12 pm

No the law as such has not changed. If you bring a car into Spain and wish to register it onto Spanish plates you have to pay the same matriculation tax that a Spaniard would pay when he buys a new car.

By very generous concession, if you bring your car in at the same time that you apply for residency, you can avoid this tax. You will still have to pay gestors fees and a special ITV fee plus the cost of changing anything that does not conform to Spanish law such as the headlights.

The matriculation tax is now based on the CO2 emissions of the car and varies from zero to 14.3% in four bands, it used to be either 7% or 12%. of the cars present value based on tables produced by the tax office.

Sid

fearless nige
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby fearless nige » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:06 pm

THanks Sid. That's disappointing news! I had hoped that apart from changing the lights over there wouldn't be much else to worry about! Ho hum.

duncan disorderly
Tourist

Postby duncan disorderly » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:40 am

El Cid wrote:By very generous concession, if you bring your car in at the same time that you apply for residency, you can avoid this tax. You will still have to pay gestors fees and a special ITV fee plus the cost of changing anything that does not conform to Spanish law such as the headlights.
Sid
Hi Sid

I brought my car in a couple of weeks ago at the same time I applied for residency. What is the next step, and what timescales are allowed for sorting everything out to avoid the matriculation tax?

I spoke to someone today that told me the tax had to be paid.

Thanks

Alan

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:53 am

There is some relevant info here http://tinyurl.com/5dwx6c

Sid

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:44 pm

El Cid wrote: The matriculation tax is now based on the CO2 emissions of the car and varies from zero to 14.3% in four bands, it used to be either 7% or 12%. of the cars present value based on tables produced by the tax office.

Sid
Sid, do you have a link to the new tables? last time I checked, the dgt (?)website had not been updated. Is the tax still based on the same depreciated values?
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:04 am

It has nothing to do with the DGT, it is the responsibility of AEAT (the tax people). The values for various types of vehicles are here:-

http://tinyurl.com/3dqnen

The depreciation factors are here in Anexo IV

http://tinyurl.com/6g5lrp

Sid

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:39 pm

Sorry, wrong question - I already had those. I meant to ask, is there a page which shows the four bands based on CO2 emissions? And how do you find out the emissions for older cars?
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.