I need one but don't know what it is!

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Marina
Resident

I need one but don't know what it is!

Postby Marina » Mon May 19, 2008 4:31 pm

Can anyone tell me what a "volante motor y embraque" is please?

I've tried Babel Fish but am none the wiser!

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Mon May 19, 2008 5:16 pm

Well your volante is your steering wheel but I think you'd know if you needed one of those!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Otherwise volante motor is a flywheel and I think you mean embrague which is clutch.

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Mon May 19, 2008 5:25 pm

Thanks. The clutch is what it went in for and the volante is an unpleasant surprise!

They did show me a wheel thingy under the car, but I couldn't tell what it was attached to or what it does. Its costing €600+ (on top of €700 for the clutch), so I'm quite interested to find out what I'm paying for! :cry:

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Mon May 19, 2008 6:04 pm

the flywheel and the clutch work together as a team. If the clutch need replacing it is usual to at least resurface the flywheel, or else replace it.
It depends on the car, and the damage that has been done to the flywheel. If they replaced the clutch and didn't repair or replace the flywheel you would get very short life from the replaced clutch.
They will probably replace the master and slave cylinders as well.
As to the price, without knowing model and make, can't say, but i'm sure that you don't have it at the main dealer and at a repair shop instead!

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Mon May 19, 2008 6:38 pm

:oops: Main dealer! Don't blame me though my OH took it in.

Its a four year old Zafira. Unfortunately I really need a four wheel drive as I'm up and down a very poor track umpteen times a day, but can't afford to replace it at the moment. :(

Don

Postby Don » Tue May 20, 2008 2:36 pm

Sounds like a new flywheel and clutch but to be worn out in 4 yrs is a bit unexpected. If a clutch has worn hard then the flywheel can get surface cracking on the wear surface through heat and makes for an expensive repair.

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Tue May 20, 2008 3:04 pm

is it the diesel version? they give a lot of flywheel problems. if its the same dealer as you bought it from, then jump up and down and scream. 4 years for it too last is too short.

the flywheel price is about right for a main dealer, but still shout and scream.
It might not help, but you will feel better :lol: