Moto insurance

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Wilson25
Andalucia.com Amigo

Moto insurance

Postby Wilson25 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:47 am

Have a 2001 Peugeot 49 cc moto and insurance seems to be really expensive, quoted 290 euro. Can anyone recommend an insurance company? Also, my 14 year old son has passed his moto test so need insurance for him. Believe there are very few companies who will arrange this but there may be some sort of government scheme? Anyone have any knowledge of this?

Thanks in advance.
Karen

clarkie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby clarkie » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:30 pm

hi Karen, i have a 50cc which is insured with Linea Directa and cost €176 a year, i am 37 with a full bike license (not that that seems to make a difference). Yes you are right, insuring a 50 is expensive as i got quotes of less than €150 to insure a 125cc! Just got to sell the 50cc 1st cos i haven't found anywhere yet that will do part ex yet :cry:
What a life!!!!!

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:22 pm

For your son the cheapest you will find is Consorcio de Compensacion de Seguros. ( I was told they are a sort of government sponsored agency who are cheap to ensure young riders can find affordable insurance).
The address is Ps/ Castellana, 32, 28046 Madrid. Tel 902 222 665.
You need to arrange the insurance over the phone, in Spanish and they will send the policy documents. You then need to pay in cash at the bank.
You will still find it is expensive to insure him but the cost does go down each year, a little.
I was told that you need to have been turned down by four companies before they will insure you but I can't remember them asking about it so that may not be true.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:38 pm

clarkie wrote:hi Karen, i have a 50cc which is insured with Linea Directa and cost €176 a year, i am 37 with a full bike license (not that that seems to make a difference). Yes you are right, insuring a 50 is expensive as i got quotes of less than €150 to insure a 125cc! Just got to sell the 50cc 1st cos i haven't found anywhere yet that will do part ex yet :cry:
I got a quote to p-ex my 50cc 12 month old moto with less than 100km on the clock....and offered me €400 off the price of a new 125cc...bearing in mind i bought it from them for €1850!!!

After haggling with Linea Directa I finally got their quote down to €150!! (thats for a 35 year old)!!

Karen (a different Karen to the OP :lol: )
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:55 am

Hi,I have a peugeot moto, a new one(nearly a year old)i cant believe yours is still going from 2001 mine is about ready for scrapping... :lol:
anyway,when i insured mine through linea directa i was 35 with full driving licence I paid 350.00 euros.
I was given another insurance company and was quoted 279 euros...

Karen as for your son,im sure i was informed the younger ones get put onto the parents insurance,im not sure if this is true,but worth finding out if it is.

Wilson25
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Wilson25 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:46 pm

After a very indepth conversation with linea directa they quoted 394 euro for my hubbie to drive (he's 43!). They asked me everything apart from our dogs name and age, it was getting ridiculous! I've now been quoted between 290 and 394 euro for an adult and that's not even looking yet for our son. Marina, I'll get in touch with the place in Madrid and see how I get on. Thanks to all for replies.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:40 pm

Just one point - be careful about what cover you are eing quoted for. A friend found it very difficult to get any cover other than basic third party - no 'fire & theft' cover, let alone full comprehensive. As hopefully the most likely event would be for the bike to be nicked, you may be tempted to join the other 90% of young moto drivers who simply do not bother getting insured!
At the end of the day, 400€ is very little to pay for good cover, which you hopefully will never need to find out, but if youdo.....
My OH's grandaughter, at 19, in the UK has passed her car test, and cheapest quote is £1200 - or about 1500€ - for a small car like a Ford Ka, and that does not include the Europe-wide breakdown cover you get here, and with a hefty excess.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:18 pm

I don't think a young teenager will get anything other than third party. Mine certainly couldn't.
I wrongly assumed that because we were paying 800€ (with Axa in her first year) that it was fully comp! It wasn't, as we discovered when my daughter had an accident and the insurance company of the other driver (who was at fault) declined to pay out! It finally got sorted the day before it was due to go to court but meanwhile we had to fork out for the repairs! The bike was off the road for 7 months as well, all the time of course while we were paying for insurance on it!
I can quite understand why so many young riders do so without insurance! :evil:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:31 pm

I am now 36, the insurance company last year wouldnt cover my 50cc moto for theft.and i paid 350.00 euros. :cry:

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:02 pm

princess peach wrote:when i insured mine through linea directa i was 35 with full driving licence I paid 350.00 euros.
peachy - i was quoted the same, and when challended, i got them down from that..to €150!!! just had to pay €30 one off payment to let them come out to check it is okay before they insured it!...and yes, only 3rd party, full stop, is available...even though it is only just over a year old!
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:19 pm

I've got fully comp on both my 250cc maxi-scooter and my wifes 50cc Piaggio and strangely enough both are around the 340 euros mark each, that's with Liberty-Seguros so there are fully comp policies available for mopeds.
" If at first you don't succeed then skydiving is not for you"

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:17 pm