Questions to ask....

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Questions to ask....

Postby karandjon » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:48 pm

....when buying a car from a garage.

I know the procedure for buying a second hand car in Spain is very different to that in the UK.

I am going to a garage next week to buy a used car and wondered what questions I need to ask before handing over the cash?

Also, is it possible to do the transfer of papers on the same day, as i am goinf to a garage a 4 hour drive away, and didnt really want to have to go back the next week to pick it up.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Karen
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pilgrim » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:18 pm

It is possible, brother in law did it last week, he just had to have Insurance in place, and got a bit of paper from the garage should he get asked to produce documentation, going back in 2 weeks (due to the local feria)to get the registration document, they did offer to post it. In my experience I would say it depends on the garage :lol:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:16 pm

Remember that any debts, fines or unpaid taxes in respect of the vehicle will be transferred to you as the new owner. If it is a reputable garage this should not be a problem but take care not to get lumbered in your haste.

The garage will probably have a gestor who will handle the paperwork and they are likely to have a supply of signed 'justificantes' as the registration document will have to be sent to DGT for transfer, a process which can take several weeks.