Car insurance.

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Marina
Resident

Car insurance.

Postby Marina » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:24 pm

We've always had our cars insured with Linea Directa and been happy with them, however I've recently changed my husband's car to Mapfre, in order to take out moto insurance for my son, at a price that's slightly less astronomical than most places! They would only cover my son if we had another policy with them.

I was going to change the insurance for my car but it was going to be very expensive unless I took a third party policy, instead of the fully comp that I have now. (OH's old banger is third party anyway).

Now if you're still with me, very nice lady at Mapfre tried to tell me that in Spain its very unusual for anyone except expats to insure a car, of more than three years, for fully comp.

The reason sounded very complicated to me and I gave up trying to work it out, but it was along the lines of... "it's not worth it because all insurance companies split the car into areas when they cover accidents. Some split the car in half down the middle, some ac cross the middle some into quarters and some even split the roof from the rest! The excess on the policy is then applied to each part, so if the car is split down the middle and you smash it all ac cross the front, you would pay two lots of excess as it counts as two parts of the car! They only cover you for 80% of the list price anyway and you end up paying out more than the difference between third party and fully comp"!!! Got that?

Now, I would like to know if I just look stupid or if there's any truth in there somewhere?

Last week I was told by an insurance broker (different company) that to insure my 17 year old son, I could put the policy in my name and he could drive. I pointed out that the policy specifically excluded riders under 25 and was told that it would be OK as the police don't care who's name is on the policy! :wink: When I asked what would happen if he had an accident he had to admit that they wouldn't pay out!

The worrying thing is that I only went to this broker because a friend's son had insured his bike through them and thought my son could do the same. It turned out that he had believed what the broker had told him, was riding under his Dad's name and hadn't read the small print!

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:32 pm

Well I was insured with Linea Directa (who really do not want young drivers it has to be said) and was driven into by a spanish lady driver who simply didn´t bother to stop at a stop sign........they assessed vehicle next day, organised and authorised repairs, car back on road in less than a week. Tried to get me to pay the excess but since it was so clear cut I refused and told them to sue the other driver. In the end we settled that other insurance company would pay half of my small excess.....but LD told me that normally they don´t bother to collect this from the other side as you contract for it......this was on 3 + year old car........

LD have become expensive in my opinion so get another quote from somewhere else and then tell them about it. They will get their "special customer" team on to you and you will get it even cheaper!!! But, as I say they do not want young drivers.........so often are expensive for them, try Groupama or Mapfre as you mention

Ama
Resident

Postby Ama » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:58 pm

Regarding the division of a car for the excess, I only just found out that recently, when I wanted to repair some small scratches on both sides of the car. I was informed that the excess of 300,00 € was for each side of the car, which meant it was cheaper for me to pay directly than to have it done by an insurance. My policy is with AXA and they divide the car in 4 parts.

Sorry can't help on insurance for the young.

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:00 am

So it wasn't just a fairy story then!

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:59 am

Surely this 'division' of a car into 4 or more parts for purposes of applying the Excess must be clearly written in the contract.? It is absurd that an insurance company does this without clearly spelling out how the cover will respond . If the Excess is for example 100 for each of the 4 parts, then in event of a total constructive loss the Excess becomes 400. Would be interesting to learn if anybody has actually read this in their 'small print'.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:25 am

People here seem to have not realised that motor insurance here has little or nothing to do with being able to claim in the event of a crash.
It seems to be purely that they will sell you a piece of paper that probably the Trafico will accept as meaning you comply with the law.
This theory also applies to those ex-pat skinflints who will not change their plates, who happily drive around with invalid licences (because they don't have the mandatory medical), may either buy phoney MoTs off the internet, or try and get a worthless ITV.............just make a minimal effort, contribute nothing, and if all else fails just say "no spikka de espanol!".
A driving instructor who lives near us turned into me as I was overtaking him, me having had the temerity to be alongside him as he reached his destination, and use of mirrors not being part of the course.....(a 7-seat Terrano is so difficult to see, isn't it?).....damaging my offside front bumper. He denied that anything at all had happened, and when Trafico (who I had called) came two hours later his alcohol level had dropped to 0.13, below the limit, so they just wrote it up. I reported the crash to my insurers, yet after a brief flurry of correspondence with the broker, have heard nothing. I can only assume that despite the Trafico reports and the accident report that he signed in their presence, he is continuing to act as if nothing had happened. This, please note, was in March!
Anyone tempted to use easycover.net, based in Torrevieja, should be aware that on this evidence one thing they do not give is a toss!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:45 am

We have had nothing but a good experience with L.D.
Instant payout for a windscreen we had break while we were in the UK.
Excellent English speaking service, including very prompt roadside assistance on the only occasion we needed it.
We now insure our apartment with them too.
BUT we ALWAYS get fresh quotes each year for all our insurances and were able to negotiate our premium down on our car with LD by quoting the competition's rates.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:48 am

This dividing the car up is ridiculous. My car was only damaged on one side and LD were great about the claim. However I have found out that many insurers in Spain do not list your correct no claims bonus on the general record so that when other insurers quote you their price is higher than your existing company can offer and it is a deliberate policy to keep you with them!!! I was told this direct by an insurance company so do ask for what is shown on your record, maximum no claims (or bonificacion) is a code 1 apparently.

So much for data protection legislation saying it must be honest and clear..............I am in the process of challenging this as want to change insurers and have only been allocated half the no claims I can prove I have and this makes my premium over 300 euros more expensive........

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:56 pm

I had my previous car insured through a local broker with Ibex. While the car was stationary,parked carefully, with the missus inside it was struck by a Cruz Campo lorry. I happened to have a camera in the car, took photos of both vehicles, spoke to the driver who basically said "tough", spoke to a localpoliceman who basically said the same, went to the broker who said, best bet is you pay for the repair or the 350 Euro excess and we will try to get the money back. I then threatened to sue the driver, Cruz Campo, the broker and Ibex. They take your money and shrug if there is a problem. It eventually took five months of hassle but the repair was done by Cruz Campo's insurers and at no cost to me. I have since changed my broker and Insurance company to Seviour Insurance in Benalmadena and saved 150 Euros on my premium.
Shop around, all the insurers and brokers are allowed to discount premiums just to get the business.
My brain works like lightning -one flash and it's gone

susanspain
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby susanspain » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:13 pm

I am glad to hear I am not the only one who has just discovered the 'legally required' insurance for cars is a scam....
We are still in progress with a claim (via Liberty Seguros - who actually in their advertising say they are experts for ExPats)... 7 months in.. and only a lowly offer from LINEA DIRECTA - even though their insured - TOTALLY INSURED car drove us off the road resulting in car and physical damage. We are now in the process of waiting for a court date - as it is also a criminal matter (although it would appear we have the choice if we want to change it to a civil claim - different claims might apply in this case - but the lawyer (Sp speaking only) - says we will be lucky just to recoup our losses to date.. If at all!!!!

I was reading the thread on Spainexpat about how human rights are among the higher end in the world here -
I would not choose to move away..
But it is enfuriating when you hit a brick wall (not literally - but we could have done!).

Any more stories of car insurance co's giving you the shaft would be welcome - I am approaching the press on my version of events - as the system needs to be spelt out loud and clear for those of us who try to be legal/fit in (but perhaps the latter word is an oximoron - as we bring our own standards/expectations with us when we move?).

Hello to all - First post on Andalucia forums!
Regards,
Susan J

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:13 pm

Might be worth a few scoundrels reading the stuff in this week's English language press, re. insurance for UK-registered cars. It has always been compulsory for a UK-reg car to be insured with a pukka insurance company (member of MIT or something) even if it is outside the UK, unless a SORN has been properly filed, in which case it must not be used on any road anywhere in the world!
I have been so pleased to see a Peugeot 606 UK car, long-term resident in Triana, is now sporting a nice set of Spanish plates, ITV, and, I assume, road tax! :roll:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:23 pm

So basically our fully comp policy that we paid over 500 euros for with Linea Directa is not worth the paper it is written on and we may as well just have tpft?

I will NEVER understand the 'laws' in this country.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:14 pm

I checked this out with Mapfre and Groupama and it seems the excess applies per accident, as with UK policies, but that most spanish people opt for 3rd party insurance only as all insurance companies only pay the replacement value of a vehicle if it is less than 2 years old.......otherwise its the book value of the vehicle done to the cheapest........

However it is worth checking your no claims bonus status on the insurer´s central computer as so many spanish companies under state your no claims bonus on there to keep you as their customer........and if you are arriving from the UK then you need to bring proof of your no claims with you......

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:37 pm

:? It was Mapfre that told me that they split the car up!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:38 pm

I was insured with RACC a few years back, and wished to switch to LD (cheaper, English documentation and customer service etc.) RACC assured me they would send a letter confirming my full NCB, but after waiting many weeks and re-requesting it many times, finally went to their Malaga office to kick up a fuss. The office staff just fobbed me off with excuses, so I demanded to see the manager (the staff were clearly more than happy to pass the buck on). The manager just said the staff would deal with it. When I told him his staff were useless, he agreed, and said that it's hard to get decent staff!!! I asked for the Hoja de Reclamaciones, but was informed they didn't have one. I threatened to call the police, since this is a breach of the law, only for the **** to deliver his coupe de grace - RACC are a "members club", and as such, are exempt from this particular law!!
I related the whole tale to LD, who were sympathetic (obviously familiar with such behaviour in the industry) and relented, accepting my word and giving me the full NCB.
Got a cheaper quote this year from Abbeygate, so LD promptly beat it, reducing my fully comp premium from 600 to 400 euros. Just proves how much they were overcharging me before :x
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:24 pm

I´ve just had my quote from LD, its double what other companies are quoting me now that I´ve had my NCB corrected on the central computer as LD apparently understated it by half to avoid competition!!!......

Doe anyone have positive experiences of spanish insurance companies that are not LD? I need cover for work as I am out in the car quite a bit but not commercial use. Most companies offer as standard leisure cover only........