Reversing

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Reversing

Postby gerryh » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:10 pm

Came across this, on a website, as as one of the driving regulations in Spain.

"3 point turns and reversing is forbidden in town"

How do you park in town?
Many of the car spaces are set out that you either reverse in or reverse out.

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Don

Re: Reversing

Postby Don » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:37 pm

gerryh wrote:

"3 point turns .... forbidden in town"
Will have to brush up on the old handbrake turn then Gerry.

As for reversing, that one is a mystery but there are streets in Sevilla which get progressively narrower and on the odd occasion I have found the walls about to get narrower than the car so reversing out was the only option. Or a crane I suppose !!

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wagon ropes » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:55 pm

I read somewhere that you are supposed to carry a spare fan belt and the necessary tools to change it in your car.

Guess you would need to carry an entire quota of garage equipment to manage that with modern cars :shock:
Life is 'ard den you die!

Don

Postby Don » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:25 pm

A pair of ladies tights can often keep things turning when the belt fails. All you have to do is find a lady willing to lose her tights at the time.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:44 pm

Do you know any ladies that even wear tights in Spain ?

Don

Postby Don » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:12 am

Lyric wrote:Do you know any ladies that even wear tights in Spain ?
I could get into big trouble trying to research an answer to that one.

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:23 am

Lots of woman in Spain must wear tights as you can see by the amount of choice in the stores. I have seen some lets say 'unusual' styles worn in Sevilla.

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:32 pm

I am willing to carry out detailed research purely to help this forum. Please advise if free legal aid is available should my helpful attitude be misconstrued, and if my wife hears about this, please post the telephone number of a very cheap dentist. :) :wink:
My brain works like lightning -one flash and it's gone

Don

Postby Don » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:40 pm

Over to you then alaninspain, my wife already knows you have taken it on but thanks for reminding me I must book the dentist.

Stupot
Andalucia.com Amigo

Reversing

Postby Stupot » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:02 pm

Gerry - of course one is permitted to change direction and to reverse but its on the basis of necessity and safety. The law states that changing direction must only be done when its safe to do so without impeding other road users. Also reversing is permitted only when going ahead is not possible and again, it must be done without causing probs for other road users and it must be done slowly.

I think reversing into a parking space is an accepted practice!

To see the law, have a look at Real Decreto 339/1990 as amended by eleven subsequent pieces of legislation. All can be found on the site www.dgt.es along with other relevant and interesting stuff.
Stupot