Changing UK driving license

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
westie

Re: Changing UK driving license

Postby westie » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:28 pm

Thanks for that Sid perhaps I need to phone DVLA. I see why a lot of Brits choose to renew their licences illegally in the UK. It would seem that trying to do things the right way is fraught with problems, with unnecessary obstacles placed in your way at every turn.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:49 pm

Many Brits renew in the UK because they just don't want to exchange, not because of any problems with the process. Normally the process works fine and renewals are even easier - no forms to fill in and the medical centre even produces the photos.

Sid

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:47 am

when i changed my licence for a spanish one a few years back i "lost" all my other things, so i can only "legally" drive a car now. The only one i probably would argue is the trailers, that would be handy now i guess.

If you are likely to drive anything other than a car, i would always advise taking a scan / copy of the reverse of your licence before handing it in, just in case they "skip" that bit ;)
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:33 pm

Same happened to me when I exchanged my UK license. When I returned to the UK last year I exchanged the Spanish one back to a UK one and the DVLA automatically reinstated the "lost" classes! Interestingly there was no charge for exchanging the license.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:48 pm

They normally charge to exchange a Spanish licence for a UK licence, but in your case they were merely reinstating your old one - presumably that's why it was free.

It's similar if you import a car that was originally registered in the UK - it's a very simple procedure compared to bringing over a "foreign" car.

Sid

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:48 pm

My OH recently changed his, using the services of a gestor. He got his medical certificate from Clinica Rincon. Total cost was about 100 euros, including the medical cost and for us well worth it for a no hassle experience. It took about 3 months to get the Spanish licence, when we queried the length of time it was taking, the gestor said the delay was probably UK end, at DVLA.

Granite
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Granite » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:57 pm

I exchanged my UK license back in May 2012 when it´s expiry date was Sept 2012. The Spanish license I received has an expiry date of Feb 2021 which is when I will be 70. My wife has after a wait of 5 months received her Spanish license which has an expiry date of March 2017, the same expiry date as her UK license. What expiry date would one normally expect if you exchange a UK license when you are over 60?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:59 pm

Ten years, but over 65 they are renewable every five years.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:11 pm

That's perfectly true Peter, but when you exchange it is not uncommon for the validity periods to be totally different for no logical reason at all.

Some years ago I was obliged, for medical reasons, to renew every three years. The first time I renewed it for three years I paid the pro-rata price and they renewed it for 5 years!

It's Spain - anything is possible and it is most probable that it won't be what you expect!

Sid

Granite
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Granite » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:14 pm

Thanks. I suppose we should be relieved after 6 months just to get the Spanish exchange license even if the expiry date seems incorrect! Simplest course of action will be to renew the OH Spanish license in 2017 which I presume will require a medical certificate.

I got my Spanish license in 2012 at the age of 61 with no medical certificate. I assumed I should also have the certificate but was told at the Psicotécnico office when they looked on some database that I did not need one until I was 70. Do Trafico ask for the medical certificates if you're stopped?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:28 pm

If you have a Spanish licence you do not need to carry a certificate - in fact, they don't even give you one when you have the medical- The Guardia assume that if you have a valid licence then you have met all the requirements.

You will find that the renewal process is incredibly simple and efficient. The process starts by going to your local medical centre with your old licence and ID. They fill in the forms, you have the medical, they take the photos and then send off the whole thing electronically to Trafico. About two weeks later you get the new licence in the post.

Sid

Granite
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Granite » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:31 pm

Thanks Sid for information. Certainly an efficient system in Andalucía but I am not sure it is universal across Spain - not that very much is! Thanks again.