Changing UK driving license

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
alpumar
Tourist

Changing UK driving license

Postby alpumar » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:51 pm

Hola expertos

I am resident in Spain but want to update the address on my UK driving licence ( I do understand the legalities etc of doing this ). I have a postal address in the UK and it looks like I can request a new licence online. My only concern is that the DVLA online instructions clearly state that you must be a UK resident, and I have been declaring myself non-resident on my tax returns for a few years.

Does anyone know if the DVLA will actually check my residency status ?

Thanks in advance.

Alpumar

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: Changing UK driving license

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:52 pm

Yes, people think that all they need is a UK address but, as you say, it quite clearly states that you must be a UK resident.

If DVLA checks your residence status you could find yourself in trouble for making a false declaration to obtain a driving licence which will render it invalid. I don't think it is worth the risk especially as it is so easy now to exchange it for a Spanish one.
Let's go Brandon!

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:45 am

Beach is almost certainly correct, but I'll bet no one has ever heard of anyone being prosecuted for using an address in the UK while living abroad. I know a lot of people out here who still have their UK licence.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:55 am

There is nothing wrong with having a UK address on your existing UK licence even if you do not live there.

Applying for a new or replacement licence when you are non resident is another matter entirely and is not allowed.

Sid

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:39 am

Yes, I agree. I was answering Alpumar's question about using a UK address to apply for a UK driving licence as a non-resident. This is quite clearly illegal and, as I said, could lead to prosecution for making in false declaration.

DVLA states that there is no need to send a photograph as it can access your photograph from the passport office so such inter-agency cross checking could easily lead to them ascertaining one's residence status.
Let's go Brandon!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:34 pm

And furthermore, whatever the law in Spain is, there are plenty of stories of residents getting on the spot fines from the Guardia for not having a Spanish licence. Change it - it's easy, and may save you a lot of hassle later on. There seems to be a stubborn resistance by many to "give up" their UK licence, but you can always get another one in the future if you move back to the UK. It's not like you're surrendering your nationality. It's just a licence.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

bunty
Resident

Postby bunty » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:40 pm

If you go back to UK. and are resident for more than 3 years and you have a Spanish driving license you must also change it to a U.K. one.One of my kids was informed of this from the insurance company of a rental car firm when the monthly renewal of car came up.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:58 pm

If you become a resident in the UK and have a valid ordinary car / motorcycle EU licence, that licence is good until aged 70 or for three years after becoming resident, whichever is the longer period.

(Source: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr ... DG_4022556)

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

bunty
Resident

Postby bunty » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:36 pm

Thanks Miro, I will give this information to my daughter as this would mean she wouldn't have to change license till it expired.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:48 pm

Although you may drive until you are 70 years of age a photocard driving licence, even in the UK, must be renewed every ten years.

Note the phrase:

'Provided your licence remains valid'

in the link given by Miro.
Let's go Brandon!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:01 pm

Good point well made, Beach! I suppose swapping your licence back to a UK one could be more practical than popping over to Spain for a (pointless) medical and renewal at Tráfico.
Anyway, I always say if you are resident in Spain, best to get a Spanish licence, so the reverse applies too. If you're resident in the UK and likely to stay that way, it makes sense to change it whether you have to or not. And going back to Bunty's post, although legally your licence may be valid, insurance companies do seem to be allowed to be a law unto themselves, and there's not much point in arguing if they just flat refuse to cover you.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:04 pm

But, I reiterate, it will only be valid until its date of expiry whichever EU member state it was issued by. Anyway I am sure it is far easier to swap a member state licence for a UK one than it is the other way around. :mrgreen:
Let's go Brandon!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:14 pm

And if you arrive from Afghanistan or Iraq and mention the word "asylum", they probably throw one in for free with the council house and benefits package :evil:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:23 pm

They would probably be given a car to go with it as well.
Let's go Brandon!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:35 pm

Logical when you think about it. Give them a car (or two) and they will spend their benefits on VED (what was wrong with calling it road tax?), fuel (including a huge percentage of tax), congestion charge (tax) and speeding fines (tax) which all goes to help make the money go round and boost the economy and make us feel wealthier and happier - at least, that's how I understand GB's plans to save the world.

Bluebell
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Bluebell » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:39 pm

Super dense question: How do you go about changing your UK license to a Spanish one? I've still got my UK one, and can tell I really need to change it.
99% practice - 1% theory

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:14 pm

Go to your nearest Tráfico office. Here's what you need: http://tinyurl.com/2pdpl5

Bluebell
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Bluebell » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:52 pm

Muchas gracias, Miro.
99% practice - 1% theory

westie

Postby westie » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:06 am

On may 26th of this year I decided I should change my driving license to a Spanish one as I was going to be 70 in 1 month and my uk license was going expire. So as I had heard various horror stories of dealing with Spanish bureaucracy I decided to employ the services of a gestor. After obtaining the required medical certificate (55 euros)I handed this along with my UK licence to the gestor who completed the application gave me a receipt for the documents and sent everything of to Trafico in Malaga. After about 3 weeks I received a photo copy of my uk licence officially stamped with date Trafico received it. I was told at the outset that it would take about 3 months to receive my new licence a ridiculous amount of time during which I could not go back to the UK and hire a car if any emergency arose. It is now more than 3 months since my application and no sign of any licence. I have spoken to the gestor several times and she says that she regularly puts in a claim for the licence and that she has other clients waiting as well as me and that Trafico are being very very slow. There seems nothing I can do. I am still continuing drive in Spain and hoping that my official Trafico receipt will satisfy the Guardia Civil if I am stopped.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:20 am

That is an unusually long time to wait. This does happen occasionally and it can usually be traced back to the DVLA as Trafico send your UK licence back to them and I understand they have to issue some form of confirmation that you are indeed eligible to drive the classes referred to.

This is a formality, but it seems that it can complicate matters (ie they forget to do it). Trafico have improved their systems enormously over the last few years and it now (usually) runs like clockwork. Trafico will happily accept your temporary licence paperwork.

Sid