Buying Spanish

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Pondy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Buying Spanish

Postby Pondy » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:12 pm

Hi all, we are looking at buying a Spanish registered vehicle here in UK before we arrive in Spain mid/end March. We have seen a couple being sold via a garage/dealership but they are not the registered owner/keeper although they have all the relevent documents even though possession of these don't prove ownership. What do I need from the registered keeper to conform to a legal sale/purchase? Would it be easier to wait until we arrive in Alcala to buy a car and if so does anyone have any contacts or advice
Thanks

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: Buying Spanish

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:27 pm

Most importantly you need the current owner's validated signature on the transfer documentation. Without this you will not be able to change over the registration which has to be done in Spain. I think, on balance, you would be better advised to wait until you get here and buy a vehicle locally.
Let's go Brandon!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:33 pm

Beachcomber wrote: I think, on balance, you would be better advised to wait until you get here and buy a vehicle locally.
Also I believe that a Spanish dealer has to include a warranty for the vehicle.
Not easy taking it back to the UK dealer.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:21 pm

Most importantly........... do not forget the transfer tax you have to pay when you change ownership in spain 8) . We know a guy who thought he was getting a bargain in the UK on a spanish registered car untill he found out he had to pay something like €650 to the local authorities (or who ever) to register it in his name. Dont be put off by warranty..... its a machine & some break down. Haggle the price as warranty wont be needed.

Pondy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pondy » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:31 pm

Further to recent posts, how do I check the status of a Spanish reg vehicle for sale here in UK

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:07 am

We have just purchased a Spanish registered car in the UK from a dealer. They seemed to know everything about transfer and paperwork needed. We will transfer ownership via a gestor when we get back in March. There details are www.lhdcarsuk.com