Land Rover Discovery

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Bronze
Andalucia.com Amigo

Land Rover Discovery

Postby Bronze » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:57 am

I am thinking of buying a Land Rover Discovery for use in Spain.

Can anyone offer advice on how easy it is to maintain/service a LR in Spain. It will be used around the Torre del Mar area.

Many thanks
David

ajtg1952
Resident

Re: Land Rover Discovery

Postby ajtg1952 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:25 am

I had a TD5 for just over a year. The electrics are so sophisticated that it spent a good deal of it's time with me in the garage on a diagnostic machine. I had to replace the cylinder head and several large electrical sending units. €6,000 later I called it a day and lost €5,000 on what I had paid for it. I bought and X Trail. Not nearly as good off road but much more reliable.

Incidentally, I am not anti Discoveries; I also have a 20 year old 200 series that has never given me any trouble at all. It's just the post 2000 models I feel are not reliable.

Have a look at the Forum linked below and you will see what problems may be ahead of you.

http://forum.landrovernet.com/forum.php

Bowler
Resident

Postby Bowler » Tue May 03, 2011 3:21 am

Totally agree with you post 2000 Discos are rubbish tghe earlier ones are fine, you should also consider A Nissan patrol, or Toyota, they run forever and are easy to repair.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Sun May 08, 2011 10:08 am

Oh Dear!

I rather like my Td5 -brought in Ipswich and matriculated here in Spain. Estepona motors do a good job for me if I need them- they're official LR dealers/mechanics but are probably no good for Torre del Mar.

The real problem with ALL Land Rover official workshops is the extortionate price of spares - all with the "LR approved" designation - and that applies to the UK as well as Spain and probably every other country as well. But I do find the labour charges quite reasonable.

So far I've had to have a new wiring harness from the rocker box to the ECU (quite a "normal" failure I understand) which was done by a local mechanic, two new rear pneumatic springs/balloons (pattern parts at half the price of LR ones) also done locally, and a new front prop shaft/cardon joint, done by Estepona motors where the price of the official LR part was horrendous - 600 Euros as opposed to just over 300 GBP had I got a pattern part sent from the internet in the UK.

I find it a lot cheaper to have a set of filters (oil, oil rotor, air & fuel) couriered out from the UK than bought locally in Ronda and the fully synthetic engine oil is horribly expensive if bought via LR.

So. To sum up I suggest you use an official LR dealer if you have a problem to which you don't have the solution and a local dealer for routine stuff with the consumables sourced as above.

Oh........and I still love my Td5

By the way, changing the headlamps was easy-peasy. Got new LHD ones sent from the UK, fitting dead simple, and I then sold the old RHD ones on Ebay when I went back to the UK!
nil illegitimum carborundum

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Sun May 08, 2011 10:25 am

Trooperman wrote:Oh........and I still love my Td5
I loved mine, but it was just too expensive to run. It was beautiful to drive, would go anywhere and I really miss it; my X Trail just can't hold a candle to it!