Buying A LHD car in the UK

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Bronze
Andalucia.com Amigo

Buying A LHD car in the UK

Postby Bronze » Fri May 06, 2011 4:56 pm

Is there any upside in buying a second hand LHD in the UK, taking to Spain, registering etc etc....

Bearing in mind the cost of buying a second hand car in Spain, is there any fiscal benefit in going down this route?

thnks
David

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Re: Buying A LHD car in the UK

Postby Devils Advocate » Fri May 06, 2011 5:46 pm

Bronze, I'd personally say no unless it was a car already on Spanish Plates with ITV and correct paperwork.

I've also noticed that LHD cars in the UK are often more expensive than a RHD, certainly my experience anyway a couple of years back. I think people realised the value of them to holiday home owners.

I've just taken straightforward RHD over and matriculated there which I do think worked out cheaper.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

starynightsky
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby starynightsky » Fri May 06, 2011 7:42 pm

Is there any advantage to buying a car in Germany or France? I dont know about price differences but i do know that Spanish vehicles are EXPENSIVE!!!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri May 06, 2011 10:04 pm

starynightsky wrote:Is there any advantage to buying a car in Germany or France? I dont know about price differences but i do know that Spanish vehicles are EXPENSIVE!!!
If you buy one in Germany/France you will definitely have to pay the registration tax.

If you buy it in the UK and keep it for 6 months before you bring it to Spain you can avoid the tax if you are becoming a resident.

With a LHD car the costs of meeting the Spanish regs are lower. With a UK car there can be some significant cost in changing lights etc.

Either way it's a load of hassle doing it.

It just depends on whether you like banging you head against the wall to import it. :D :D

Sid

starynightsky
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby starynightsky » Sat May 07, 2011 7:02 am

Thanks for the reply.

Just wish i knew why it was so expensive to buy cars over here?

Supply and demand?

They feel like making it expensive?

They have to import ALL parts?

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sat May 07, 2011 8:21 am

starynightsky wrote:Is there any advantage to buying a car in Germany or France? I dont know about price differences but i do know that Spanish vehicles are EXPENSIVE!!!
If you buy in Germany you will have to insure it here on the chassis number to enable you to obtain German tourist plates to be able to drive the car back to Spain. Otherwise you'll have to have it transported here & the same to the ITV station etc; until you get a Sapnish reg.

France I'd leave alone unless you know the person selling personally as even the dealers are reluctant to buy from their now as many have been caught with loans added to vehicles that didn't show until after they've purchased.

Holland & Belgium can be a nightmare if you don't know their systems. Many mpv's & 4x4's are registered as vans , from new, to take advantage of farlower taxes. These you can tell by the fact that they have only the drivers & passengers seats, not a problem if you re-reg in the UK , you can just put the seats back in. Here in Spain it will be re-matriculated exactly as the original log book descibes it, as a van !

If you go on the Spanish car sites you'll generally find that vehicles in Madrid, Barcelona & the north of Spain are far cheaper,30%+ , than down here on the coast. They are normally far lower kms & in better condition.
Todos somos Lorca.

Bronze
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Bronze » Sat May 07, 2011 8:57 pm

gus

many thanks, can you recommend any Spanish websites..thnks
David

starynightsky
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby starynightsky » Sun May 08, 2011 7:10 am

Yes please post some details of the sites. Not ready for a new vehicle yet but i would really like the information so i can plan ahead.

Thanks

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Sun May 08, 2011 7:21 am

" If at first you don't succeed then skydiving is not for you"

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun May 08, 2011 11:24 am

We bought a lhd car from these guys in the UK. They made our life very easy. www.lhdcarsuk.com

Pat & Emer
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pat & Emer » Sun May 08, 2011 4:49 pm

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Mon May 09, 2011 7:15 am

Malagaman has posted for me 1 :thumbup: on the autoscout you can set it also for all europe or individual countries.
Todos somos Lorca.